X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuxedo
    replied
    Originally posted by Skinner654 View Post

I have one place who will not state how many days per week/hours worked in the contract

What is a reasonable non compete in a mid sized city?? Should it be around every location you work? If they won't budge on that, should it be a dealbreaker?
    They should be willing to document some kind of work expectations. Some combo of days/week, contact hours, normal office hours, call frequency. If they cannot, why not? Also what locations you'll be working at. More than one pal of mine has spent a lot more time at less desirable satellite locations when someone quit/got sick/etc.

Non compete depends on what you would want if this job doesn't work out. Would you want to move? Or stay?

Leave a comment:

• Lordosis
    replied
    Originally posted by Skinner654 View Post
    What are the red flags you would be watching for in negotiations?

I have one place who will not state how many days per week/hours worked in the contract

What is a reasonable non compete in a mid sized city?? Should it be around every location you work? If they won't budge on that, should it be a dealbreaker?
    If other places spell it out then this place should spell it out.
    If a Non compete would make me move if I left my job it would be a deal breaker. I love being 3 miles from my office but if I had to drive 20 miles I would be able to do that for a time while I figured it out. I would not want to drive 50 miles.

Leave a comment:

• Lordosis
    replied
    Originally posted by Cubicle View Post

I think its gross to not wear socks in shoes. Or else all your foot sweat ends up in the shoe material. At least the sock is like a filter, you can then wash.
    You absolutely need to wear socks. Even those low socks are alright. I prefer the taller ones.
    However I do not like wearing socks when I do not have any shoes on.

Leave a comment:

• Cubicle
    replied
    Originally posted by abds View Post
    Wait wait wait what’s wrong with dress shoes and no socks?
    Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post
    Everything.
    I think its gross to not wear socks in shoes. Or else all your foot sweat ends up in the shoe material. At least the sock is like a filter, you can then wash.

Leave a comment:

• abds
    commented on 's reply
    I wear those same no-show socks with my dress shoes. I can’t stand the fabric tight around my ankles/calves. Zero concern about how it looks

• Brains428
    commented on 's reply
    They have tiny socks that make it look sock-less. I have them for my Toms. Don't judge me.

• CordMcNally
    replied
    Originally posted by abds View Post

Everything. It could also be jealousy since my feet apparently sweat so I can't comfortably pull it off.

Leave a comment:

• abds
    replied
    Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post
    A few things I see as red flags:

1.) If they have a hammer and sickle patch on their shirt.
    2.) Any kind of Abercrombie and Fitch clothing with the brand prominently displayed.
    3.) Dress shoes and no socks.
    4.) An incredibly thick German accent.
    5.) Contract is written with a quill pen.
    6.) Interview/subsequent meetings conducted at a Fazoli's.

Any contract that doesn't spell out common things such as hour requirement, call requirement, etc. is already a terrible contract. As far as the non-compete goes, what specialty are you?

Leave a comment:

• MaxPower
    replied
    Originally posted by Kamban View Post
    If it is a Private practice then a red flag is a vague line stating that partnership will be considered after 2 years of working there. This is a ruse to use a revolving door of use and discard associates after 2 years.

I once had it given to me by a group in FL. I called them and said that what is this vague statement in the contract. They said it is standard. I countered that unless it definitely states that I will be given partnership after 2 years or be informed that it will not occur at 1.5 years and also not have any non compete clause enforced should that happen, I would not be relocating to be with them. Never heard back from them.
    Sounds like you dodged a bullet there.

I think just about any non-compete would turn me off to a place. If things are so bad with that practice that you want to leave it, but stay in the same area and maybe even at the same hospital, that should tell any self-aware person enough about the practice they are running.

I was approached by a practice in town to join them, and one of the sticking points was their non-compete. I would have been going from a place without a non-compete to a practice with a non-compete, plus a lot of uncertainties about the practice itself. If they’re so sure they have such a great thing going that I’d never want to leave, then why have the non-compete at all? (Narrator: he didn’t join the practice...)

Leave a comment:

• Skinner654
    replied
    I did have an attorney review it, and they said it is common to not have hours or clinic sessions in contract

however, i have had several other offers, and they all include it. still not clear what stops the employer from putting me in clinic 7 days a week then?

Leave a comment:

• Kamban
    replied
    If it is a Private practice then a red flag is a vague line stating that partnership will be considered after 2 years of working there. This is a ruse to use a revolving door of use and discard associates after 2 years.

I once had it given to me by a group in FL. I called them and said that what is this vague statement in the contract. They said it is standard. I countered that unless it definitely states that I will be given partnership after 2 years or be informed that it will not occur at 1.5 years and also not have any non compete clause enforced should that happen, I would not be relocating to be with them. Never heard back from them.

Leave a comment:

• Tim
    replied
    Are you using a contract review service or a healthcare attorney?

Leave a comment:

• Skinner654
    replied
    Don’t understand. How can hours / days of the week not be defined? What stops them from putting me in clinic 7 days a week then?

Leave a comment:

• Cubicle
    replied
    I agree the hours per day/week can't really be defined. But that could also be in your favor. There is no minimum for you in that case...

10-15 miles is what I have typically seen for radius.

Leave a comment:

• nephron
    replied
    Unless you are applying for hospitalist/shift work, a contract is never going to spell out how many hours you are going to work because most physicians are not hourly employees. I would want the number of days off and how many weekends I would be expected to cover in writing. One of my old employers made one of her new hires cover the hospital every other week because she didn't like him but didn't want to fire him and pay for unemployment insurance. I would look at the non-compete in the context of how much you think that you want to live in the area. If you have family in the area and are tied to the area, you may want to try to have it eliminated or keep it as short in duration/specialty specific/short in radius as possible. I would look for a practice that was willing to pay for my tail insurance too. You want to have flexibility to leave if the group doesn't turn out they way that you want.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X