recourse, senior partner weaseling out of call

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• recourse, senior partner weaseling out of call

So our GI (multi specialty group) call schedule came out through April. Our 60 year old "partner" who makes the call schedule only has 1 weekend through April, and the 3 other partners each have 4 weekends! Call is supposed to be equal per our contract. Our call sucks, covering 2 hospitals, often work 8-10 hours days at the hospital plus phone calls from all over. Yesterday I texted the senior partner that I was aware of this. Made some bullshit excuse about it "evening out" over the year (this will never happen). So, I emailed our CMO. This needs to change. Is this something you would walk over? There are 3 GI job opportunities within 30 miles...

I wouldn't go right away. You may have to give him the benefit of the doubt and see if it evens out. I'd make sure the other partners were aware too and get their reaction. Plus, these other opportunities may be a worse situation than what you have now. The grass isn't always greener, no matter what the other groups may tell you.

Comment

Letting the CMO know is a good move.  I would also point out to the CMO that this is a breach of contract.  I would document it w an email.

Get the other 3 partners involved and confront the old fella.  It's possible he was planning on evening it out over the year, but I doubt it.  It's probably time for someone else to take over the schedule.  At the very least, ya'll need to keep track of the total calls and hold him accountable.  He may straighten out when he knows you're watching him.  Take away the schedule and you take away his power.

Comment

Can you look back at the 2016 schedule and see if the call was equitable then?  Is it possible the senior partner is going on an extended vacation or having a hip replacement?  If he wants to take less call he should financially compensate you.  Lots of older docs pay younger docs to take call.

Comment

Agree with hatton1, get something for it.

Comment

Well, Ive been watching for a few years and he always takes a little less call. But I never saved the schedules to document it. But this is so blatantly obvious.

And now with a ton of money saved I don't want to work so hard. We're pure production. I've emailed the CMO, thanks!

Comment

As one gets older, $ isn't as important as when one was younger, buying a house, kids, etc.  The group should develop rules for different compensation rates for those getting older and standing down.  If you're lucky, you'll all face the same situation someday.  In my situation, we had a Express Unit (no night call, no critically ill patients) for those wanting to work less, with a flat salary compensation.

Comment

I agree. Let the market solve the problem. The problem of how many shifts and who works evening and night shifts was solved in our group this way.
                Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

Working...
                X