X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zaphod
    replied
    Originally posted by daman42886 View Post
    I agree, I think the next step is a demand letter or something like EM-CCM MD said above. I just want to make sure I have legal grounds before threatening to sue. I appreciate everyone's input.
    Make sure you are corresponding almost entirely by email, and make sure it isnt work owned only. Forward automatically every correspondence to your personal email.

Theres zero proof of anything thats "talked out".

I get and totally understand the "be nice, dont burn bridges", but with many people thats simply used to wait you out or screw you further. You have to make a choice here to the risk/reward of that and their connections in the future, who knows. Often these guys are known as not quite trustworthy and even if superficially nice, people get it.

Its not necessarily that expensive, its far more likely they just cave and pay. They have the same legal costs you do, and of course if your contract supports it, do it. Being nice after it not working after a couple tries just shows you can be ignored. Get all the supporting documents before filing of course. You simply need a demand letter.

Leave a comment:

• toofy
    replied
    Your state labor board would be very interested in hearing about this. And it doesn't cost you. Are you a W-2 or a 1099? I don't know what state you're in but here is the one for my state of TExas: https://twc.texas.gov/jobseekers/how...xas-payday-law

Leave a comment:

• Tim
    commented on 's reply
    WBD is absolutely correct, time is critical. For $50k it’s worth an hour today. The form isn’t as important as making your demand. That alone gives notice and can hold up some January distributions or filings. First week in January is a favorite, next year taxes. It’s just a letter stating your previous discussions. Your time deadline for payment will be unimportant, you can always push it back. You actually need to document time, date and conversations with you “partners”. It is amazing how much they clear up forgotten details. Rather than poison relations, checkbooks come out to settle things up.

• CordMcNally
    replied
    Originally posted by nephron View Post
    If you don't mind burning bridges with your "partners", I would probably throw 10K at it with a lawyer and see if I could recuperate my losses.
    What bridge? The partners already burned the bridge between them.

Leave a comment:

• White.Beard.Doc
    replied
    One more thought... I would also act very nice to my former boss/current colleagues.

"Hey guys, just a heads up... My financial advisor insisted on writing a demand letter for the money I am currently owed under the terms of my contract. No hard feelings on my part, my advisor simply insisted that I protect my financial rights given that the practice ownership is being transferred. I look forward to maintaining a great working relationship with all of you despite the changes we are going through."

Leave a comment:

• White.Beard.Doc
    replied
    Interesting thread. If they are still in business collecting on AR, then in your shoes I would follow Tim's suggestion to make your claim with a demand letter, then follow it up by having a collection attorney legally establish a default judgment while they are still in business. I would do this very soon as they will likely be dissolving the corporation in 2020, and the AR will go down very quickly over a few short months.

Leave a comment:

• White.Beard.Doc
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks Tim, its good to learn more about this type of situation.

• daman42886
    replied
    I agree, I think the next step is a demand letter or something like EM-CCM MD said above. I just want to make sure I have legal grounds before threatening to sue. I appreciate everyone's input.

Leave a comment:

• Tim
    replied
    Time for a demand letter. Save yourself some grief before going to an attorney.
    https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...hapter6-4.html
    Many free samples on the web. Much simpler.
    •Food for thought. Would you take a note with interest, 5 payments with interest of say 18% with personal guarantees? The point is, they aren’t feeling any pain. Oops, sorry you are 1 day late that’s $5 grand more. You can maintain your good terms and get your money. Bills need to be paid. Pleasure doing business with you. They know this. If you want, ask for an additional $50k for seven months. You get the picture. I believe you haven’t been firm enough and they let it slide.

Leave a comment:

• jacoavlu
    commented on 's reply
    So they got paid, and are presumably trying to collect from or punish someone that stole from them, and are collecting for work you did, but won’t pay you for the work? Shameless.

• ENT Doc
    replied
    Originally posted by daman42886 View Post
    Yes, my former bosses know and admit that they owe me the money, but have been making excuses. We have been on good terms throughout, so I feel like they think that they can just push this off until maybe I just give up (which I wasn't planning on doing) or they somehow recoup some of the money from the alleged embezzlement (which could potentially take a very long time).
    Look for another job and lawyer up.

Leave a comment:

• Molar Mechanic
    commented on 's reply
    Completely amateur opinion, but make sure to backup any correspondence where they admit they owe the money off site.

• daman42886
    commented on 's reply
    Yes, they most definitely got paid. Not sure how much.

• jacoavlu
    replied
    Do you know if they got paid for the practice sale?

Leave a comment:

• daman42886
    replied
    Yes, my former bosses know and admit that they owe me the money, but have been making excuses. We have been on good terms throughout, so I feel like they think that they can just push this off until maybe I just give up (which I wasn't planning on doing) or they somehow recoup some of the money from the alleged embezzlement (which could potentially take a very long time).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X