X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locum Tenens

W2 doc here
    I get 6 weeks of ATO + 1 week for CME
    I typically don't needs 6 weeks of vacation, so I was thinking of doing 3 weeks of locum shifts for my specialty.
    I looked at my contract and the language is " Physician shall not engage in the practice of medicine or osteopathic medicine except as an employee of the Medical Group unless otherwise authorized in writing by the Vice President."
    Seems like a pretty standard language in the contract - looked at the previous contracts I had and found same exact thing

Question for employed docs who are doing extra shifts at other facilities or locum work: If the locum work is in different state (and hence non-competing) should I still have to go to the lengths of meeting with the VP and get written override?
    Thanks for the input

From what you quote, it's pretty clear you can't do any work outside of the group regardless if it's in the same state vs. different state, competing entity vs. non-competing entity, etc. This kind of language should never be in a contract you sign.

With that said, you may be able to do it with your group being none the wiser. However, is this something you'd want to lose a job over? It also may take the VP 5 seconds to OK it.

Comment

I wouldn't violate the contract, though maybe unlikely they would find out. They perhaps would be okay with you as long as you aren't going across town to help competitor etc. Will you not make more productivity just forgoing the weeks of vacation?

Comment

Originally posted by childay View Post
        I wouldn't violate the contract, though maybe unlikely they would find out. They perhaps would be okay with you as long as you aren't going across town to help competitor etc. Will you not make more productivity just forgoing the weeks of vacation?
        Thought of it
        wouldn't it make more sense to make some money on 1099 as opposed to get a bigger paycheck on W2 by doing more productivity?

Comment

• ENT Doc
          ENT Doc commented
          Editing a comment
          Probably not. I mean, you can squirrel a little more away into a solo 401k (employer side) but you pay double payroll (at least Medicare). Do the math. It depends on the locums gig and rates.

Chances are that the VP has no incentive to sign it. You’re showing you’re hungry for more and if they say no your decision is sit on your bum vs work more for your institution to make more money. Hospital wins in the latter situation. Gains nothing with you doing locums.

Originally posted by bababrown View Post

Thought of it
        wouldn't it make more sense to make some money on 1099 as opposed to get a bigger paycheck on W2 by doing more productivity?
        we can't know what makes more sense for you

Comment

Originally posted by bababrown View Post

Thought of it
          Probably: can write off some expenses, and put some extra into a solo401k. But it's not without hassle (alien site/EMR, unknown consultants/nurses, probably worse work environment)....

Comment

Just curious, why would you not take 6 weeks vacation if it’s given to you? I take every minute of every day of vacation that I’m allowed. Physician burnout is real, enjoy and take whatever time off you’re given.

Comment

Just ask. The worst that can happen is a “no” and I bet you’ll be approved. As you said, this is standard language meant to protect the practice from employees building a big reputation and then competing on your own with another group.
              Our passion is protecting clients and others from predatory and ignorant advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

Working...
              X