Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone familiar with fair market value in production only contracts ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone familiar with fair market value in production only contracts ?

I'm in a re-negotiation year. I came into a situation where our group is paid out in the 80% percentile for wRVU with a contract that is 100% production based.

Traditionally my partners production was in 30% nationally, so their overall salary equates to about the 50th percentile.

I've been doing 90th percentile production so I've had a good year to date (first year they took a cut, now I'm partner and keep a 100 percent).

The hospital is saying that now my FMV falls outside what is acceptable and they're making proposals to cut my salary in different ways (about 30-40% drop in total income) to the median plus 10% given that I live in a rural area.

I was told by an outside admin friend that individual production shouldn't factor in to it. As long as my price per RVU falls into a certain category than I should be fine even if total compensation is >90th percentile nationally due to individual production. Local admin saying different. .. my 80% RVU can be justified by being a single hospital in a very rural small town with a difficult to recruit specialty.

Anyone familiar with such a scenario?

So they're going to just cut your reimbursement not your partners?  You don't have a group contract?

Comment

Your admin friend is right. Fair Market Value only plays a role if there is a disconnect between your production and your pay, i.e. if your wRVU productivity is 30th percentile but pay is 99th percentile. A 100% production compensation model should never result in a Stark/Antikickback Statute violation unless the pay per wRVU is out of line. The optimist says your local admin is misinformed, the cynic says a 40% paycut means they didn't budget for you to work hard. It sounds like you have a good amount of leverage in this scenario (rural, hard to recruit specialty, high earner) to stand your ground.

Comment

Agree with pulmdoc sounds like theyre just trying to screw you but you hopefully have leverage..

Comment

They're definitely trying to screw the high production/earners, which includes myself and one other.

It is still a "group" contract but they want to just base everyone at 85% with 15% at risk money mostly on "value" metrics. Income will be the same with additional security for the others, so I bet they bite.

It will be absolute program suicide to get rid of the production incentive but they're sure trying to go down that route. I do have decent leverage but as WCI indicates that always means you got to be willing to walk and I am.

Comment

Agree with everyone this sounds crazy. They simply want a larger cut. You could say how about I work less?

Given your leverage and being on the right side of things, I would hold my ground pretty strongly. You should get something for being willing to do the work. Keep us updated.

Comment

If you ever do need to get a second opinion feel free to reach our FMV experts for consultation.  www.healthcareappraisers.com

Comment

Working...
              X