wRVU Tracking Errors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wRVU Tracking Errors

At least a couple of people on here have said that they keep track of their own wRVUs, usually with an Excel sheet. I am curious to find out if you've come across major (or even minor) differences between your count at the end of the month/year and what the hospital tells you you earned. If so, what have you done about it?

I keep track using an Excel sheet, and I have had a few months here and there that were reported by the hospital as being slightly lower than what I have by my count. I usually just call attention to it to my practice manager, and she tries to figure out what happened. (Usually, I'm told that its that the last couple of days worthy of charges that might not have been entered for one moth and were carried over to the next.) This past month, the difference was way more than slight. :-/

What did she say this time? Both you and the hospital are responsible for accurate records. The month the carryover, was the next month higher? Checks and balances are intended to identify errors AND correct them. If your records are wrong, now you know the correct way. If the hospital’s are wrong, they need to correct it too. That means additional revenue most likely or at least opportunity cost. It’s not a blame game, simply a mutual interest in accurate reporting. No pass on the math and no pass on bad data.

Comment

At least a couple of people on here have said that they keep track of their own wRVUs, usually with an Excel sheet. I am curious to find out if you’ve come across major (or even minor) differences between your count at the end of the month/year and what the hospital tells you you earned. If so, what have you done about it?

I keep track using an Excel sheet, and I have had a few months here and there that were reported by the hospital as being slightly lower than what I have by my count. I usually just call attention to it to my practice manager, and she tries to figure out what happened. (Usually, I’m told that its that the last couple of days worthy of charges that might not have been entered for one moth and were carried over to the next.) This past month, the difference was way more than slight. :-/

My hospital is able to give me numbers based either on posting date or service date.  Since my spreadsheet is based on service date that is more helpful.  In past would have same issue as you, with some carryover from previous month.  I also compare total encounters as a quick check.

Comment

She’s working on figuring out where the discrepancy is. I only receive a tally of my RVUs from the hospital printed on a graph; no electronic, searchable file.

Comment

I'm employed through a hospital system. Had not tracked. We hired a new doc and he did, turns out billing was missing a number of charges related to procedural coding and QRC use. I ended up getting several thousand in back pay related to this. Since this time it appears things are much more accurate and I haven't been keeping track. My partner continues to track with great detail every single wRVU.

Comment

Have you had your billing audited? I've found a couple instances where the billers submitted a lower code than I selected.

Comment

I track mine and there is some difference month to month as the last 6-7 days may not have been submitted by billing yet.  So if I do a big surgery on the 30th of the month I'll get credit for it the following month.  Usually it squares up month to month.

Comment

Working...
              X