No announcement yet.

Contract Negotiations: Suggestions Wanted Re: Part-Time Arrangement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How important is it really that you do what pays the most?

Dancers work very hard, and most of them barely scrape out a living. No one does it for the money, it's for the love of dancing. Some things are so much fun, the activity itself is its own reward. The practice of medicine is not one of those things.

Compensation is not the most important thing (I'd like to surrender some in order to have a less stressful life), but it's very important.

Erstwhile Dance Theatre of Dayton performer cum bellhop. Carried (many) bags for a lovely and gracious 59 yo Cyd Charisse. (RIP) Hosted epic company parties after Friday night rehearsals.

Comment

Why cant it just be wRVU based, just get paid for what you do?

This might be possible, but in my meeting they stressed their desire to standardize contracts across all physicians, e.g., same vacation days, same CME stipend, same incentive structure.

No one has an eat-what-you-kill model. That would be a one-off, and I'd want to have control over my schedule and my billing, and I'd need a way to guarantee a fair distribution of patients. For example, I used to see 4-5 new consults per day, but each time a new guy is hired they receive all of the new consults and my numbers drop to 0-1 per day. That wouldn't be OK with me on this model.
      Erstwhile Dance Theatre of Dayton performer cum bellhop. Carried (many) bags for a lovely and gracious 59 yo Cyd Charisse. (RIP) Hosted epic company parties after Friday night rehearsals.

Comment

What is your BATNA? ... Why shouldn’t I expect them to meet me halfway? Of course, they told me to pound sand, so I walked.

My BATNA is to say, "Thanks for the memories."

I have more than enough for a reasonable retirement, i.e., we could spend much more than we do now with a very low likelihood of ever running out of money.

However, I don't want to stop working at this point, so if I leave I'll just have to figure out what is next. It's unlikely that I'll find a better employed position, and any entrepreneurial venture I create is likely to be a lot of work for a lot less money. That would be OK if I really enjoyed it, but right now I don't know what that thing might be.

Comment

You didn't mention the possibility of just doing contract work, either sporadically or on a regular part time schedule.  That is my tentative plan.  Are you attached to the notion of employment?  I hope you can make a deal with your managers, but corporate intransigence was one major reason I've chosen to trade benefits for flexibility.
          “Work” is a four letter word for good reason.

Comment

Why cant it just be wRVU based, just get paid for what you do?
            Click to expand…

This might be possible, but in my meeting they stressed their desire to standardize contracts across all physicians, e.g., same vacation days, same CME stipend, same incentive structure.

No one has an eat-what-you-kill model. That would be a one-off, and I’d want to have control over my schedule and my billing, and I’d need a way to guarantee a fair distribution of patients. For example, I used to see 4-5 new consults per day, but each time a new guy is hired they receive all of the new consults and my numbers drop to 0-1 per day. That wouldn’t be OK with me on this model.

Lol, they say this everywhere yet it is not true. Never. They tried to say that where I just started yet rads gets 2x the vacation as everyone else, and lo and behold most people have extremely specific contracts. Dont believe it, it isnt true, and is simply code for they'd like you to just sign without trying.

Yes, that would be a problem. Though I suspect you're underpaid pretty severely if not on an wRVU style contract.

Also, as another poster has mentioned a ton of my feel for the situation is getting to know your forum self over the years and getting an idea that youre probably great at what you do and provide your hospital with a ton of value and would be sorely missed. Otoh, admins can be incredibly stupid and often inflict wounds on themselves.

Comment

First who cares what the perspective of the admin is. Thats their problem and trying to take their vantage point will guarantee you get much less than theyre willing to offer.
              Click to expand…

I disagree with bolded.  When you are entering a negotiation it is very important to understand where your counterparty is coming from.  If you understand what their perspective is, then it is far more likely that you can come up with an effective negotiation strategy.

It sounds like what you mean to say is that he shouldn’t empathize or feel the need to compromise based on his understanding of their perspective.  And I would agree with that.  Nevertheless, understanding what is motivating the other party is critical if you want to negotiate as effectively as possible.

Yes that is what I meant as thats what his post was sounding like. You're absolutely correct about how helpful it is in overall understanding.

Comment

You didn’t mention the possibility of just doing contract work, either sporadically or on a regular part time schedule.  That is my tentative plan.  Are you attached to the notion of employment?  I hope you can make a deal with your managers, but corporate intransigence was one major reason I’ve chosen to trade benefits for flexibility.

If you mean locum tenens work, I'd rather not. Don't want to move from one temporary living situation to another and get to know new EMR systems, new referring docs, new nurses, new physical plants, etc. for a few weeks or months at a time.

If there was a recurring part-time opportunity where I am, that would be great, but we have too many cardiologists, not too few.

Comment

Working...
                X