Locum tenens for emergency medicine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locum tenens for emergency medicine

I am a MS4 applying into EM, in a long term relationship with a lawyer. Currently in the southeast.
    We do not want children. We are very comfortable being apart from each other for long periods of time, and have done so previously.

I am thinking about my plans for work after residency and think locums might be a good opportunity for me out of residency to quickly work to pay off our debts and then look at settling down somewhere.
    Primary reasons for looking into locums is flexibility. Travel is very important to my partner and I.

I’m sort of at a loss of where to start for EM locums resources. I haven’t good info specific to EM locums, pros/cons, etc.
    Looking for resources on the subject.

Thanks.

Pros: you can travel around to different places, sometimes you can make more money but not typically more than a well run SDG, likely have more control over your schedule

Cons: the areas that have locums are not desirable areas to travel to, EDs that require locums are typically poor work environments, you'll be fresh out of residency and may not be able to recognize when the hospital and/or consultants are asking you to take on unnecessary malpractice risk, if you go through a locums group they'll be making a pretty penny off of you (money you earned but don't get), you'll spend quite a bit of time (uncompensated) traveling and living out of a hotel room

In short, you've still got plenty of time before you need to look at potential jobs. Locums is usually not an ideal environment for a newly minted attending. Every CMG has their own locums arm. Most call them something like "firefighters" to try to make it sound cooler than it is. There are many other companies that do strictly locums. You can search the Student Doctor Forums in the Emergency Medicine section and find pretty much all you need.

Comment

Views of a retired EM doc.  Locums, straight out of residency, is a poor choice for professional development. As a fly-in, your medical staff colleagues will not invest in you, offer feedback, and you'll have no mentors.  You need the strum and drag of a medical staff to mold  you.

Comment

I love that you're looking four years ahead...I can relate to that kind of prior planning!

I was able to do "moonlighting" at my hospital during senior year (working the NP shift in peds ER) which was a safe place to try out my wings.  Also, allowed for easy access to affiliated hospitals to work after residency, I picked the close one for some work while my lease agreement finished.  Might consider those kinds of opportunities when you are applying to programs.  But realize that you will need to stay within work hour limits, so we're talking perhaps 10-20 shifts max--you could obviously do that in your first month after graduating.

I did a year of locums, basically figured out where I wanted to spend some time, combined with adverts in Annals, and cold-called, hopefully pocketing the fee that would go to a headhunter.  I think that pricing is a lot more transparent now.

Anyway, I think Cord hit the highlight issues.  I'm part-time now and started looking again at moonlighting opportunities, but I've come to the realization: Being a part of a SDG, I make much more money at a much nicer shop with much better hours with much less stress than moonlighting....

Comment

Views of a retired EM doc.  Locums, straight out of residency, is a poor choice for professional development. As a fly-in, your medical staff colleagues will not invest in you, offer feedback, and you’ll have no mentors.  You need the strum and drag of a medical staff to mold  you.

Agreed, but I'll take the contra view.  Working at a bunch of hospitals prior to my "permanent" job gave a good perspective: when I get bummed out about how dysfunctional things are, I have a broad database of even worse scenarios....

Comment

Can someone tell me what sdg and cmg stand for?

Comment

Small democratic group
              Contract management group (or as I say, corporate mega group)

Comment

Haha I gather from that sdg is much better than cmg...

Comment

Haha I gather from that sdg is much better than cmg…

CMGs are your Envision (formerly EMCare), Team Health, Vituity (formerly CEP), USACS (formerly EMP), etc. Don't be mistaken, though, there are a few predatory SDGs out there but for the most part any SDG will blow the doors off any CMG. It pays to own your job.

Comment

I am thinking about my plans for work after residency and think locums might be a good opportunity for me out of residency to quickly work to pay off our debts and then look at settling down somewhere. Primary reasons for looking into locums is flexibility.

I don't work in an ED. My view is... many EDs are run my small groups which are often fully staffed and are not publically hiring, nor are looking for locums.

Do you want to work in a large urban level 1 trama center ED, or a random suburban urgent care center? Have you worked in either? Do you have any interest in academics, teaching or working in a large medical center or a smaller hospital with less inpatient facilities? Are you willing to live in a very rural setting and manage whatever comes in, with varying levels of resources?

Travel is very important to my partner and I.

I'm assuming you mean pleasure travel. Seems like any "shift" schedule would be helpful to free up time to travel, without having to take time off.

Comment

Working...
                    X