Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How early can I start my job search (fellow)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks all for your insightful comments. My question was less about lying (although I understand how my post may have suggested that), and more about the potential ramifications if they became aware if I was also interviewing with the other main group in town.

I would just make sure that they do not know that you are committed to the area.  If they know that you are committed to the area, they probably know if the other groups are hiring and if not, will probably be able to start you off with a low offer.    I wouldn’t lie and say that you have other interviews scheduled in the area, medicine is a small world and I’m certain that will be able to easily determine if it is true or not.   You can just say that you are looking at the other groups but haven’t started the contact process because it is early if you want to.

This is very helpful. I probably would have oversold my commitment to the area, otherwise. Thanks @nephron !

Comment

Thanks all for your insightful comments. My question was less about lying (although I understand how my post may have suggested that), and more about the potential ramifications if they became aware if I was also interviewing with the other main group in town.

I would just make sure that they do not know that you are committed to the area.  If they know that you are committed to the area, they probably know if the other groups are hiring and if not, will probably be able to start you off with a low offer.    I wouldn’t lie and say that you have other interviews scheduled in the area, medicine is a small world and I’m certain that will be able to easily determine if it is true or not.   You can just say that you are looking at the other groups but haven’t started the contact process because it is early if you want to.
      Click to expand…

This is very helpful. I probably would have oversold my commitment to the area, otherwise. Thanks @nephron !

I don't see why it would hurt to tell them you are interviewing with the other group, if true.  They might even give you some opinion or hints about their competition.

Comment

I started looking for a position during mid-PGY4 (Jan 2018) and made contact with the practice that I have signed with and will join in 2020. If a group is willing to hire you 1.5-2 years out from your start date, then they may be patient with you as you continue your job search and keep in touch. Were I in your shoes, and if I really thought it was a candidate for my starting job, I would be anxious to meet the group and interview with them. I guess since I haven't actually started the job, the jury is still out as to whether I've made a wise decision. But I enjoy my interactions with my future group and am very excited to join them after fellowship.

Comment

Working...
        X