Employment Contract Negotiation Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Employment Contract Negotiation Suggestions

I am in the middle of contract negotiations/re-negotiations and have a question. Short of asking for more time off or greater compensation, what other "benefits" could I propose? I realize that when it comes down to it, it is all money, but sometimes employers might respond more favorably to a unique benefit request than simply asking for more cash or an extra 3 weeks of vacation (especially if they are trying to make the contracts between their physicians seem "equitable").

Does anyone have any creative or unique ideas or have had any interesting components of their contracts that they felt were favorable? Assume for the sake of discussion that in my situation, signing bonuses, moving expenses, malpractice premiums, healthcare premiums and student loan repayment are not really options.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

CME/professional fees money, CME time (which is equivalent to vacation I think), short term and long term disability policy payments, life insurance policy payment, milage if you drive to a different clinic/hospital, administrative time reimbursement (we get $ for doing simulations or teaching ACLS/PALS/NRP, etc).... ?

Comment

• Schedule changes (I was able to negotiate Thursday and Friday afternoons off. The company has an option to fill those afternoons when the patient load is there but if not, I have those days off. Thus far, it's about 50/50 in terms of having to work. You may want to negotiate stronger language if the patient load is always high)

• % for overseeing a midlevel

• Shorter or longer terms depending on your preference (longer for better security? shorter for more frequent negotiations?)

• Decreased interval for notice (mine is 90 days, I've seen many that are 180 days)

• Free (albeit insufficient in my case) short and long term disability policies

• Free (albeit insufficient in my case) life insurance policy

• Coverage of tail insurance

• Work expenses (all license renewal fees, society dues, white coats, scrubs, uniforms, tolls, parking passes)

• Increased CME Money

• Increased CME Time

• Decreased restrictive covenant

Comment

Termination for "cause" only.  Disputes handled through arbitration and not in court/via jury.  These two provisions will give you added protection from your employer if things go south.

Comment

moomoo can you explain why you would see arbitration as "employee-friendly"? i see it at as distinctly benefitting the employer.

Comment

I did not say that arbitration is "employee-friendly".  Arguing in front of a jury of your peers as a physician is an up hill struggle.  Your "peers" are not other like-minded professionals.  They're white and blue collar workers that don't care for "rich, arrogant" doctors.  Explaining to them that an employer stiffed you $100K on a $400k/yr contract does not evoke any sympathy.  Arbitration, on the other hand, removes that variable and levels the playing field.  National staffing companies and their retained lawyers all know this and you should too.

Comment

I'm not sure if it's even possible, but I wonder if an employer could contribute to your child's 529 instead of doing a loan repayment (especially if you have little to no loans).  Or how about asking an employer to increase their 401k match?

Comment

Definitely look at the noncompete clause if there is one.  Read the termination section carefully.  We negotiated tail coverage if fired without cause.

Comment

Working...
                X