IVF Cost and Payment Plan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IVF Cost and Payment Plan

We are planning to do IVF in the next couple of months and cost of IVF is around 24-30K depending on PGT testing, and medication etc. (we are in a state that insurance does not cover)  We currently have around 25K in savings account (separate from emergency fund).

I want to leave 25K saving in place for now and thinking to get another credit card (Fidelity CC)  with no interest for 12 months and pay IVF cost with credit card initially. Also we are currently making extra payments on our mortgage as well so i am thinking that i can stop making extra payments until end of the year or next 12 months, and with extra cash flow i can pay the new credit card while keeping the saving accounts intact. End of the year or after 12 months i can reevaluate and making extra mortgage payments etc.

Does it sound like a reasonable plan? or should i just pay 25K from the saving account and be done with it.

any other tips regarding IVF experience welcomed as well.

Thanks,

or should i just pay 25K from the saving account and be done with it.

that.

Comment

If you have the cash, why go into debt. Use the $25,000 from the savings account. Wishing you the best of luck in trying to conceive!

Comment

Is that per cycle?

Comment

Agree with hatton - is that per cycle?  What's included in that?  Is in donor egg?  Part of a cost sharing program?

PM me.

Comment

My nurse has been recently quoted $15k plus drugs.

Comment

highly recommend doing the PGT testing.  certain states cover genetic testing but not to this extent. start thinking about what you're gonna do if you're lucky enough to have >1 embryo of different sexes, both storage (fees) and implantation.
              It's psychosomatic. You need a lobotomy, I'll get a saw.

Comment

My nurse has been recently quoted $15k plus drugs.

seems low - 20-30k is more in line with our experience.  highly reputable facilities with long term data tend to charge more from what we found:  "Reputable U.S. fertility programs follow the guidelines of the Society for Assisted Reproductive Technology (SART) to report success rates. SART has developed a national database for reporting fertility treatment outcomes. The report is generated by SART and published by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC). This system assures consistency in reporting clinic outcomes around the country. For more information, see the CDC website."
                It's psychosomatic. You need a lobotomy, I'll get a saw.

Comment

use credit card to pay doctor bill then use savings to pay off right away.  20-30k on card is going to be around enough points for a free airline ticket....  and of course if you have an HSA, save the receipts for reimbursement down the road.

Comment

Best of luck- it's a stressful process.

Agreed it sounds low; this is not the time to save $$. CCRM seems far and above others in success rate anecdotally. I know more than one couple who tried other highly rated centers and only found success there. Whatever you do, don't pinch pennies, and don't just look locally-go big or save for a few months until you can.

Comment

Our quote is around $15k + meds (3k?) for harvest, genetic testing and first transfer.  Additional transfers are $2-3k if I recall correctly.  We're putting everything on our credit card and racking in points.

Comment

HSA or FSA to help out if available, otherwise we just cash flowed it. We went through the best facility and best doc in the state and it was 12-15k (no donor anything) plus add about 6k for meds, the pre-implantation genetic test of the embryos is about 3k (we opted out of this for several reasons). Many places offer a plan that is more expensive upfront but covers cycles until you are successful. Also, look at getting drugs from Europe. We got ours from there (the IVF clinic put us in touch with a reputable pharmacy) and they were almost half the cost. It is a difficult process, we lost the first pregnancy at 16 weeks and were devastated, but just got home with a healthy newborn yesterday

Comment

Do you live near some progressive companies? Such as Patagonia? Microsoft?

I know some of these companies insurance plans will pay for up to 3 cycles for FREE!

We live near one of the Patagonia distribution sites and I have patients go get a job there for 3-6 months to get the benefits... totally worth it!  Microsoft and Google had this amazing insurance too... Think about it... might be worth the $$$

Good luck making your family!

Comment

We did IVF- here is a link on the costs and my thoughts. I used my credit card and spent way more than you...then paid it off. Might as well get the points. Also save receipts as some of it may be tax deductible.  Not sure how much income you make, but the IRS allows you to deduct only the amount of the total unreimbursed allowable medical care expenses for the year that exceeds 10% of their adjusted gross income. May not be much, but some deduction is better than no deduction.

Comment

Is that per cycle?

yes it is per cycle

Click to expand…

Agree with hatton – is that per cycle?  What’s included in that?  Is in donor egg?  Part of a cost sharing program?

PM me.

It is not donor egg and unfortunately they dont have cost sharing program in the area we are in.

Here is the cost breakdown;

Inital consultation, second follow up,  blood and sperm lab work etc will be around $3500- $4000 (some of the diagnostic blood tests may count as deductible to insurance)
                              1 IVF Freeze Cycle (retrieval) $7500 and it does not include medication
                              ICSI $2500
                              PGT-A Screening is $4000 which would test up to 8 embryos
                              The total amount due prior to starting cycle is $14,000.00

Medications currently range around $6500 - $7500
                              1 embryo transfer $4,000.00 for 1 cycle and it does not include medication

we are expecting total will be pretty close to $27000 - $30000

Comment

Working...
                              X