Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much do people spend on food/groceries?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much do people spend on food/groceries?

I was just curious what most people spend on groceries in a typical week/month? For a family of 3 it seems like we're in the 140-180 range per week with the additional occasional Costco run of a couple hundred dollars every 6-8 weeks. We don't eat out a lot so more meals at home, but I'm wondering if that is high, low, or average compared to everyone else.

Seems low/average.

1 person - $350/month over past 7 years (groceries + restaurants).

Comment

Thats is soooooo far below my family of 5 that I don't even care to give you a number out of embarrassment.

Comment

wife + me + 3 kids + nanny: $1600-$1700/month.  Enjoy cooking at home. Don't enjoy going out with kids (food choices at restaurants usually not so good, kids eat in 5minutes and then want to leave, so don't eat out).

Comment

Family of two per personal capital:

Restraunts: $8700
          Groceries: $4300

Comment

1 person, probably ~$200 a month. Was a lot less when I used to get most of my calories from the doctor's lounge, but decided that wasn't exactly healthy.

Comment

Family of 4. We spent$1500 on groceries in October which I decided was out of control. So I changed up where we shop. Nov and Dec are higher cost because we host Thanksgiving and have a lot of family in town. But even so, we dropped to about$1150 those months. I'm interested to see what the next few months average out to. I'd like to keep it to under $1000/ month. We don't eat out more than once a week as a family, 2 yo just makes restaurants less fun.

Comment

wife + me + 3 kids + nanny: $1600-$1700/month.  Enjoy cooking at home. Don’t enjoy going out with kids (food choices at restaurants usually not so good, kids eat in 5minutes and then want to leave, so don’t eat out).

Fatlittlepig needs to come over and inspect your fridge. That’s a bizarrely high amount of money you are spending.

Comment

Family of two per personal capital:

Restraunts: $8700
                  Groceries: $4300

Is that per week or per month?

I have no idea. I do not track it and never have.

Comment

We are on the “thrifty” family plan:

https://www.cnpp.usda.gov/sites/default/files/CostofFoodJan2018.pdf

Comment

I am always floored by what the grocery bills are, I ask my wife what the heck it's going towards and she doesnt seem to know. It's only us and a nearly 5 year old. I see grocery of 983 on PC, but its higher when some of the gen merch category is food, and then small eating out...I'd guess nearly 1500/month.

Dont even eat meat, though fake stuff is spendy. We've decided to go shopping together for a while to see what's happening. Seems crazy. We do like fruits and veggies, probably 4 apples a day between us, and some brie/gouda somewhat regularly. Idk.

Comment

These are absurdly high numbers... and I cringe when I imagine the amount of food Americans throw away or waste in other ways.

Whenever I see a Whole Foods sign the word 'mammon' pops into my head.

Comment

Family of two per personal capital: (based on 2018 numbers)

Restraunts: $8700 ($725/month)
                          Groceries: $4300 ($360/month)

Comment

I guess I just don't see how someone spends 400/week on groceries. Obviously kids drive up cost but that is two like huge shopping trips per week. Or maybe just buying a ton of high end stuff

Comment

Our "food" budget includes groceries, restaurants, alcohol, and some incidental non-food grocery items. Typically $1,000 to $1,200 for a family of four. We don't eat out often unless traveling and get most of our groceries from Costco and Aldi.

Comment

Working...
                              X