How to monitor your portfolio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to monitor your portfolio

Does anyone use an online tool to monitor your portfolio?  I have multiple accounts with Vanguard and Charles Schwab and would like to track everything in one location.  Ideally, this would include information on asset class, market cap, performance, etc.

I use Personal Capital and have been very happy with it. It will combine information from your checking, savings, credit cards, Vanguard, and Schwab accounts. Basically any accounts you enter will be tracked. There are lots of ways to view the information: balances, growth (or shrinkage!), asset class, etc...

Attached is an example of how my portfolio has done year-to-date, a screenshot from Personal Capital showing me crushing the S&P 500.  

Best,

PoF

Comment

I also use personal capital. It also links to Zillow to track any real estate that you own. After you link your accounts it is simple to track your net worth

Comment

I currently use mint, and I would probably use personal capital but they kept calling and really drove me nuts.

Comment

Any thoughts on Mint vs Personal Capital? (pros/cons)

Comment

Hatton1, how do you link Zillow? I tried looking for it through "add link", but it only brings up financial institutions.

Comment

Mint does mostly same thing, but doesnt call begging to manage your money. From what I hear PC has better investment stuff, but I dont know why you need anything more than your brokerage, they all have fairly extensive reporting standard now.

Comment

Any thoughts on Mint vs Personal Capital? (pros/cons)

Personal Capital has better tools to examine your portfolio, asset allocation, relative performance, etc... Mint is good to see your current account totals, and is great for tracking spending (which is why I use it) and for budgeting if you're into that kind of thing.

I got a few e-mails from Personal Capital and I agreed to one phone call (portfolio review) out of curiosity to see what their asset management strategy would be. Of course they want your money, but there was no hard sell.

Best,
                -PoF

Comment

Agreed with PoF. I use Personal Capital for to keep up with my portfolio and Mint to monitor spending/budgeting.

I like Personal Capital more after disconnecting my bank accts and credit cards. The budgeting tools were limited compared to Mint (none of transactions were in correct category and unable to change categories). I really enjoy the portfolio details though!

I haven't yet been asked to take a call or review my portfolio. Probably due to the tiny amount of assets I have compared the others on here.

Comment

Another Personal Capital user here. I like the idea of how it works for investments but a large portion of my 401k is in a target fund that is specific to my work so it can't analyze due to the large amount of unclassified investments.  You can manually enter information but I can't find a Blackrock fund that matches up similarly to it, and I don't have enough information to manual enter all of the stock type percentages. Otherwise it is great if you have standard things which I assume most people do! Also good just for monitoring things. I spoke to them once on the phone which was kind of interesting but less helpful since they didn't have all of my investment information (not to mention that they thought my expense ratios are much higher than I am actually paying). They did set up a little slide show thing on the computer to watch during our talk. They leave a message on my voice mail every quarter or so - it's not really bothersome as I just delete it at this point.

Also, Personal Capital does let you change categories for things on your credit card statements, etc. Never used Mint though.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback.  I have been a Mint user since 2011.  Their investment information is rarely complete.  The account totals are accurate, but 100% of my asset type is "Other."  It's just not very helpful from an investment standpoint.  The "overview" and "transactions" for all my accounts are useful to monitor.  And the net worth calculation is convenient.

I signed up for Personal Capital today and quickly found much more useful information that should help in the future when balancing my portfolio.  I have accounts through Charles Schwab, Vanguard and John Hancock.  Being able to review an up to date asset allocation will be helpful.

I think I will keep Mint and start using Personal Capital as well.

I also looked into SigFig briefly.  It seemed comparable to Personal Capital.

(Personal Capital has already called once.  But, I am pretty good at not returning calls or just telling financial types no.)

Comment

FYI, if you're planning to sign up for Personal Capital, look on WCI for an ad / affiliate link. Won't cost you anything, but will earn money for the site.  I've got an ad on the right on my main page also (and half the money will go to charity).

I recommend it because I use it and like it, but I recently added them as an advertiser (full disclosure).

Thanks!

-PoF

Comment

RJ there is a + sign out to the right of your accounts tab.  Hit that and there is a way to add your house value.  You can even add the value of jewelry and art. It linked my property based on the address automatically to zillow. I have property other than my house which Zillow only recently started valuing so my net worth jumped.  I used mint for a while.  I like the asset allocation and the total amount your investments cost feature of personal capital.  I use quicken to track my expenses.  Quicken owns mint so they are similar.

Comment

Great. Thank you. I figured it out last night. Yeah my net worth significantly jumped too. Nice to see that.

Comment

I use Mint and am generally happy for what I pay

Personal Capital folks kept calling and calling me until I deleted the whole kit and kaboodle out of frustration.

Comment

Working...
                              X