Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ivy
    replied
    I used Quicken for many, many years and really liked it.  When I moved to Mac and they started the subscription model I dumped them.

I use iBank now.  It's ok.  Not as good as the old Quicken versions, but very usable.

I have used Mint and Personal Capital, but they kept having troubles downloading all of my accounts; especially Vanguard.  So I don't use/like them.

For my annual summary, I just use Excel.

Leave a comment:

• Jim
    replied
    Speaking of 2FA, I've found that many if not most aggregators (including PC, Mint, TIAA 360, Filethis, Quicken, et al) don't play well with 2FA.  Or more accurately, 2FA doesn't play well with them.  It's a constant battle getting messages about "your bank is asking for a confirmation code" etc.

As far as giving these aggregators the keys to the kingdom (i.e., your login credentials) the only bank I know that does this right is CapitalOne 360.  They allow you to generate a token that can be used by aggregators to gain READ-ONLY access to your account.  This is, or at least could be, critical.  You don't need to give the aggregator your real signon password, so no hacker or rogue employee could ever mess with your accounts.

Leave a comment:

• ACN
    replied
    Well, if they have my login and pw, they still need an auth token from my phone.  So, after they spoof my phone##, they can finally login into my Vanguard account.  Now, they put the order to liquidate.  OK, that doesn't happen immediately, so they also need to get the login/pw from my gmail account and again spoof my phone number for two step auth.  Then they can intercept the emails and I wouldn't know my funds got liquidated.

So, yes it is concerning that one user had continued login attempts to update his account, however, in the grand scheme of things, I'm not too worried.  Use a program like Lastpass and two step auth and you should be fine.

Leave a comment:

• Jim
    replied
    @ENT Doc, wow that was pretty disconcerting.  Another reason I don't like cloud-based services.

Leave a comment:

• ENT Doc
    replied
    It's the last comment here and others like it elsewhere that caused me to avoid all the fancy display charts and tracking you get from PC or Mint:

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=238482

Leave a comment:

• Molar Mechanic
    replied
    I use a few:

I use Quicken Home & Business 2017 for my Personal and my LLC transactions.  I like that I can separate transactions that go to the business and ones that go to home.  I do use a business card and a personal card, but inevitably some stuff gets crossed, and it is super easy to tag it in Quicken.  I use this for all bank and credit card transactions, but don't let quicken see my investments, assets, or loan balances.  I've had plenty of popups asking me to convert to the subscription, but have resisted them all to date.  I suspect I'll accept it if I'm forced to the subscription model, but mostly because I need my business and my personal data tracked clearly in one software.

Personal Capital:  I love the ability to track investments and loans here.  I don't let it see my credit card or bank transactions, but will once or twice a month carry the cash balance from quicken into the account just to get a more accurate net worth in PC.

We also use Xero for my Practice.  It's fine, but honestly I just label stuff in there and the accountants do the heavy lifting.

I've used Mint in the past, but their ability to track business vs personal was awful.

Leave a comment:

• CordMcNally
    replied
    I use Mint. It’s nice to look at activity on all my accounts in one place. I use an excel spreadsheet for monitoring net worth and asset allocation.

Leave a comment:

• MPMD
    replied
    I just became a personal capital convert. really really like it. clean and it updates in real time.

Leave a comment:

• Jim
    replied
    Even without trading, all the dividends and other micro-transactions would be too unwieldy to enter by hand.

I'm seeing a theme in some of the responses above.  Many people are using Personal Capital, which is fine (I have an account with them too), but I am reticent to use a cloud-based service as my sole point of entry.  I'm old-fashioned and I like my data on my own hard drives.

Others are using spreadsheets and Google docs, but no one really elaborated so I don't know which spreadsheets in particular they are using (probably homegrown, I would guess) or how I would enter data downloaded from banks in Quicken or .csv format into those sheets.

Leave a comment:

• GasFIRE
    replied

Have Quicken 2016 that will expire in 2019. We will see then. I am used to quicken.

If the subscription model costs too much, I will do the entries by hand. Not a deal breaker to me.

I'm in the same boat. I already do my transaction entries by hand, which is OK since I don't do much trading anymore. I do like the convenience of downloading quotes which i don't really want to do by hand so I too am looking for an alternative that lets me to track my portfolio without having to allow access to my account info like Personal Capital.

Leave a comment:

• ACN
    replied
    Personal capital.

Google excel for NW tracking, investment allocation, and savings / tax tracking.

Leave a comment:

• Kamban
    replied
    Have Quicken 2016 that will expire in 2019. We will see then. I am used to quicken.

If the subscription model costs too much, I will do the entries by hand. Not a deal breaker to me.

Leave a comment:

• jacoavlu
    replied
    ditto excel and google sheets

Leave a comment:

• treesrock
    replied
    Depends on whether you want to do this by hand, or by some automated method.  Physician on Fire has a bunch of excel spreadsheets on his blog that you can use if you'd like to go that route.

I prefer Mint.com for my credit card purchases, and Personal Capital for my investment/bank accounts.  I realize this exposes me (x2) to hackers and such, but I'm ok with that risk considering the incredible convenience these two services provide.

Leave a comment:

• bean1970
    replied
    Personal capital. it has actually saved me a few times. The credit cards accounts are nearly in realtime.. I check it every morning and have caught fraudulent charges before the cc has even called or picked up on it. Rarely something is miscategorized, but as i've used it for quite some time now there are rarely errors.....though i was in college station TX this month and nearly everything was categorized under education.....lol.  it like how it pulls your allocation across accounts as well (and you can manually change allocation as well).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X