Thoughts on the Park City Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on the Park City Conference

I wrote a blog post about the WCI conference found here http://doctoroffinancemd.com/2018/03/04/wci-conference/ .

• I enjoyed meeting the people.  Posters, lurkers, speakers, and the people who run this site.

• I enjoyed the talks.  I learned a few things.

• I enjoyed the scenery and downtown Park City.  I am a non- skier but I found plenty to do.

I hope there is another one.

I hope there is another one too! I live twenty minutes from Park City but it fell on a busy call weekend.

Comment

i enjoy all your posts.  i'm glad you had a good time and learned something.

hopefully you will be speaking at the next one.  since you will be retired maybe you can share some of your newly retired insights.

Comment

I hope there is another one too! I live twenty minutes from Park City but it fell on a busy call weekend.

You had your call schedule 9 months in advance?
        Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

If I'd known the snow was going to be this good 9 months ago, I probably would have asked for the week off.

Hopefully I'll make it next year.

Comment

I thought the conference and Park City were great.

Conference had great speakers, awesome swag bag, and good flow to it. It would have been nice to have a room at the hosting hotel, but it was full when I tried to book.

The city was beautiful and had a lot to offer outside of skiing. I tried my hand at the slopes. Spent the first day on the Bunny hill. Days 2 and 3 were spent rolling head over heels down green slopes. Made a few clean runs, but more spills than success. Fortunately didn't have to utilize my disability policy. Looking forward to trying it again. Fiancee is an avid skier so trying to pick up her hobby to share.

Went to a few restaurants in town - Riverhorse, Grappa, Yuki Yama, and the Viking Yurt. Grappa was the best food and atmosphere. Small italian restaurant near downtown in an old brothel. The Viking Yurt was a great experience and I'd recommend it. They pull you up the mountain in a sleigh and you eat a 5 course dinner in a Yurt at the peak of the mountain. We headed up just before sunset and came down at 10pm. View was spectacular and met some great people.

I enjoyed Dr. Dahle's talk on healthcare and discussing cost with patients. I would be interested as well in other's approaches to cut cost and attempt to minimize strain on the system? In my experience patients care about cost they will personally absorb. They don't care about the cost to the system per se. The largest potential cost savings I see in my practice are trying to minimize time in the hospital after surgery and eliminate unnecessary labs/imaging. Unfortunately when I discuss the cost of an extra day in the hospital or an MRI that isn't really needed, patients almost universally say they want it and "insurance will cover it." They know that extra day in the hospital won't cost them a thing and that 2k MRI will be essentially free. At that point it's really a no win for the physician.

Comment

Click to expand…

In not so many words yes. I knew I was not on for several weekends around that time and because of other colleagues' pre-existing requests I kind knew that weekend was going to fall in my lap.

Comment

I enjoyed Dr. Dahle’s talk on healthcare and discussing cost with patients. I would be interested as well in other’s approaches to cut cost and attempt to minimize strain on the system? In my experience patients care about cost they will personally absorb. They don’t care about the cost to the system per say. The largest potential cost savings I see in my practice are trying to minimize time in the hospital after surgery and eliminate unnecessary labs/imaging. Unfortunately when I discuss the cost of an extra day in the hospital or an MRI that isn’t really needed, patients almost universally say they want it and “insurance will cover it.” They know that extra day in the hospital won’t cost them a thing and that 2k MRI will be essentially free. At that point it’s really a no win for the physician.

My buddy and I were talking about that too.  The medicare crowd definitely cares about the obs admits.  The medicaid crowd doesn't care about any of the costs.  The private insured crowd cares up until they've met their deductible, which is usually met by the time they finish their ER visit.  The uninsured are the ones that are sensitive to pricing, but they tend to stay out of the ER until it's really bad (or they give a fake name/address)....

Having been a patient recently for two separate issues, I can vouch for the opaque pricing and confusing insurance networks.  I'm shortly going to be in the "don't care, I met my deductible" crowd.   :roll:

Comment

Click to expand…

My buddy and I were talking about that too.  The medicare crowd definitely cares about the obs admits.  The medicaid crowd doesn’t care about any of the costs.  The private insured crowd cares up until they’ve met their deductible, which is usually met by the time they finish their ER visit.  The uninsured are the ones that are sensitive to pricing, but they tend to stay out of the ER until it’s really bad (or they give a fake name/address)….

Having been a patient recently for two separate issues, I can vouch for the opaque pricing and confusing insurance networks.  I’m shortly going to be in the “don’t care, I met my deductible” crowd.

Exactly. Also seems the insurance companies don't use rational thought in regards to potential cost savings. I recently appealed a patient's case and lost twice. I advocated for a minimally invasive (guideline treatment) to treat a patient's tumor. This would be much cheaper, outpatient, and minimal risk of complication with equal cure rate to a larger surgery. The larger surgery will require a 2-3 day hospital stay and higher likelihood of complication especially given the patient's morbid obesity. Unfortunately, despite quoting literature and even arguing the cost savings to them they turned me down twice.

Comment

Click to expand…

I can't speak for Dreamweaver, obviously, but my pathology group plans our call schedule a year in advance.  (Obviously, there's a lot of trading that takes place as the year progresses!)

Comment

Try 1 year in advance in my group.

Comment

I am cracking up reading the suggestions for improvement. Bernstein's talk too short. Bernstein's talk too long. PoF shouldn't speak. PoF gave the best talk. Mid day break too long. Mid day break too short. Cut back or condense talks on burnout but be sure to give me plenty of CME. More seats and fewer people, but make sure I get to come. Make conference bigger. Only let experts speak. Have people speak about their personal challenges. Get hotel closer to ski hill. Get conference out of ski town.

Ha ha. Just reminds me of the old adage- you can't please everyone!

Glad to see that literally 100% felt it was worth their time and money and would recommend to colleagues.
                        Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

I am cracking up reading the suggestions for improvement. Bernstein’s talk too short. Bernstein’s talk too long. PoF shouldn’t speak. PoF gave the best talk. Mid day break too long. Mid day break too short. Cut back or condense talks on burnout but be sure to give me plenty of CME. More seats and fewer people, but make sure I get to come. Make conference bigger. Only let experts speak. Have people speak about their personal challenges. Get hotel closer to ski hill. Get conference out of ski town.

Ha ha. Just reminds me of the old adage- you can’t please everyone!

Glad to see that literally 100% felt it was worth their time and money and would recommend to colleagues.

I held my breath reading the suggestions above, and fortunately none of mine were worthy of public ridicule...yet.

Comment

The conference was an A+ for me. I was planning to do a more exhaustive review, but @hatton1 beat me to it. I might still pull it off tomorrow.

Comment

I would recommend that you give @Vagabond MD an official role at the next WCI conference.

He did an amazing job of arranging dinners, setting up ski meet-ups, and organizing pre-storm evacuations, all while posting frequent updates on twitter.

The conference was great. Count me in for the next one.

Comment

Working...
                              X