Best Use of "Academic Funds"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Use of "Academic Funds"

My wife is finishing her fellowship this summer, and she has about 3k of remaining "Academic Funds" that she has at her disposal. We lose the money if we don't use it. Initially, we were planning on spending them on electronics, but we've been told by administration and prior trainees that all electronics purchased with this money had to be returned to the institution at the end of the year. (That sounds incredibly inappropriate to me).

Regardless, assuming we can't spend them on electronics, how else would you recommend spending the money in the next 6 months? (She has already used the funds for board review, license renewal, and professional memberships).

Find a conference in a cool place you want to visit and go.

Comment

Meeting or course in Hawaii (or somewhere else nice).

The electronics decision is probably technically correct.

Comment

WCI conference, of course! (Sold out, so next year if you have same academic or CME funds)

Comment

Conference is the obvious and quick way to spend it. Probably can use it for scrubs or white coats, online journal subscriptions if needed. I’ve bought NEJM journal watch and a stethoscope and otoscope before.
          An alt-brown look at medicine, money, faith, & family
          www.RogueDadMD.com

Comment

I bought $1000 worth of books, and not all of them were medical.

Comment

I think the best option is to use it on something you're going to pay for anyway regardless of the presence of the academic fund - better to use tax-free dollars for this.  If she has upcoming boards (registration fees, travel, etc) that is a necessary expense that it could be put towards.

Barring any necessary expenses then using it on something you'll get value out of but wouldn't necessarily spend the money on without the academic fund - putting toward a conference in a desirable location sounds like the next best option.  No point in leaving free money on the table.

Comment

Buy some expensive text books from an online retailer with a generous return policy, if you get my drift. Bonus points if said online retailer also sells “electronics”.

Comment

Buy some expensive text books from an online retailer with a generous return policy, if you get my drift. Bonus points if said online retailer also sells “electronics”.

I have never heard of such an establishment.

Comment

I bought $1000 worth of books, and not all of them were medical.

He's gone rogue!

Comment

Agree with conference and books. Our institution has the same policy about electronics. However, as long as you stay more than a year after you purchased the laptop, they will not be asking for it back. You could see if you are allowed to put these funds into a retirement account, I just found out I was allowed to do this ( but I'm an attending).

Comment

A consideration for an electronic work around is to register for/buy Audio Digest CME/Premium course for roughly $2400 after tax which will also get an Apple or Amazon credit for $1000. And you would still have $600 towards books or something. Particularly if there is no attractive conference and the money goes away if unspent.

Comment

Personal UpToDate subscription if she will not have access to it at her new job

Comment

thanks for some fantastic ideas. the conference situation sounds great, but we'll have to see if we can find a relevant conference in a destination we like. the books/electronics "establishment" idea is intriguing as well. The UTD subscription is fantastic, so we'll have to look into whether our job includes access. Lastly, that audio CME link is a really great idea, and I also found a board vitals qbank that has a similar $1000 gift card offer.

feeling a lot better than I did about 30 hours ago, so thanks all!

Comment

she has 3k remaining?  how much do they give now.  3k is more than i get in a year total.

i'm shocked that she can't find an efficient use for it.  she can't prepay the boards for the exam?  for moc?

i can't believe her profession society (ies?) aren't sticking it to her.  if i were still members, the professional societies would easily be 1500 per year for me on the slimmed down plan.  easily more than 3k per year if i joined everything they recommended.

prepay annual conference?  on southwest there is no change fee.  plane tickets to conference and if you don't wind up going, can get credit?

lots of textbooks on kindle now.  i like them so i can get the images for presentations (attributed of course) more easily.  some textbooks have their own online presence.

Comment

Working...
                              X