Trust a recruiter to negotiate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trust a recruiter to negotiate?

Our recruiter requested that we go through him for negotiations.  I agree that it is easier to have a mediator and less awkward when working for a new employer.  However, is a recruiter truly neutral?  What are their incentives?  Do they get a bonus for keeping our contract lower?  Do they get paid the same regardless?  Or are they incentivized to help us by their payment being a percentage of a payment for the new physician?

Thanks

I doubt it's much different than it would be for trusting your realtor to negotiate for you.  Sure, they may get to take home more if you get paid more, but the difference for them is tiny compared to the time and hassle they have to sacrifice to get it done.  They'd much rather get the contract signed quickly so they can move on to another commission.
    I sometimes have trouble reading private messages on the forum. I can also be contacted at [email protected]

Comment

Who is paying the recruiter? There's your answer.

Comment

I’ve been on both sides using recruiters. While they are paid by the employer, it’s typically a % if first year compensation. They want to get the deal done so they are working toward a middle ground. It is nice to be able to be blunt with them about your demands and let them figure out how to communicate the message to the potential employer.

Comment

I've negotiated a number of physician contracts, both as employer and employee. I've never dealt with an intermediary and can't imagine why you would allow a recruiter to speak for you.
          Erstwhile Dance Theatre of Dayton performer cum bellhop. Carried (many) bags for a lovely and gracious 59 yo Cyd Charisse. (RIP) Hosted epic company parties after Friday night rehearsals.

Comment

I think it is best to negotiate for yourself. You know your priorities better than anyone else. Remember there are many things that can potentially be on the table besides money (benefits, vacation, call, etc.). I understand what you mean by wanting to not be awkward but good negotiations should not damage a relationship; in fact, I think using a recruiter may be more off putting. What if the offer they get you is not acceptable and then you have to restart negotiations? That would be awkward and likely displeasing to the employer.

I enjoyed reading Never Split the Difference by Chris Voss as I do not think I am great at negotiations. Not everything is applicable to this type of negotiation but it helped me think about negotiation a bit more systematically.

Comment

Our recruiter requested that we go through him for negotiations.  I agree that it is easier to have a mediator and less awkward when working for a new employer.  However, is a recruiter truly neutral?  What are their incentives?  Do they get a bonus for keeping our contract lower?  Do they get paid the same regardless?  Or are they incentivized to help us by their payment being a percentage of a payment for the new physician?

Thanks

It sounds like to me that they may be trying to bury or negotiate their fee.  Some hospital systems will not pay recruiter or agency fees.  If this is private practice, it's more negotiable.  What was your agreement when you retained the recruiter?

Comment

Working...
              X