No announcement yet.

Leaving a HCOL for a LCOL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@hank Thanks for posting that link to McMansion ************************! LOL! As an old house guy, that site makes me smile!

Comment

look at houses that cost what you’re paying for your condo in your hometown

Click to expand…

What a terrible, terrible looking house.  I know the cost per square foot is favorable, but this looks like the sort of ham-fisted McMansion that would be featured on http://mcmansionhell.com .

I’m not arguing that there aren’t tolerant, accepting places in this country that are LCOL. But I do think that some parts of the country feel like they wouldn’t be as welcoming to certain families. I know that this has affected my own family as we’ve decided where we would be willing to live.

Click to expand…

It may be true that some people will feel unwelcome in some communities, but that assumption is made far too often.

In our community of < 20,000, our best friends are a caucasian and Indian couple (albeit American-born). At the hospital, I work with many immigrants from Asia and several from Africa. We have many Muslims in traditional garb as patients, and there is also a community of Mennonites. I have at least three local patients in black-white marriages.

There is also a small university well-known for its engineering program, and there is similar diversity among the professors and students there.

I’m white but my wife is Korean. The caucasian lady who lives next door organizes lunches (that last for three hours) for the six ladies on our street, including my wife and the young Chinese woman who moved in recently.

My wife met a Korean woman at the local Starbucks who is married to a professor. That woman invited her to lunch with six other Korean women affiliated with the university. So far, she hasn’t been able to make their monthly lunches because of conflicting social engagements!

The assumptions about tolerance result from unfamiliarity. I won’t go to the Carnival in Rio because of news reports of rampant crime. Meanwhile, plenty of Europeans probably won’t come to the US because of all the mass shootings they read about.

I also enjoyed McMansion ************************.

I also think that CM is right that an amazing amount of diversity exists in some small and medium sized towns.  I live in a medium sized town in Alabama.  I have seen patients from almost every country on the planet over the years.  I think you see a diverse population when a smaller town has a university or a military base.  My town has both.  My advice is to not rule out large areas of the country without at least visiting them.

Comment

Die hard New Yorker here. If you’re not from here and it’s not home I can see why you wouldn’t put up with the ridiculous rent for a shoebox at best, and lower physician salaries which effectively makes nyc almost a 50% pay cut for most docs. The city where nannies make more than residents.

Post coming up on this but we are leaving NYC. Not exactly moving to LCOL, more like a MCOL but coming from NYC it all looks LCOL. We were doing fine in nyc since we have a dirt cheap condo mortgage. We are selling it and it’s unbelievable how much real estate goes for here. $1K/Sq ft....

It wasn’t a proactive decision like the original post but was fortuitous in itself as fiancé got a job offer we couldn’t turn down. I myself got a nice pay increase and we are doubling our home size for a fraction of the cost in NYC.

Comment

Die hard New Yorker here. If you’re not from here and it’s not home I can see why you wouldn’t put up with the ridiculous rent for a shoebox at best, and lower physician salaries which effectively makes nyc almost a 50% pay cut for most docs. The city where nannies make more than residents.

Post coming up on this but we are leaving NYC. Not exactly moving to LCOL, more like a MCOL but coming from NYC it all looks LCOL. We were doing fine in nyc since we have a dirt cheap condo mortgage. We are selling it and it’s unbelievable how much real estate goes for here. $1K/Sq ft….

It wasn’t a proactive decision like the original post but was fortuitous in itself as fiancé got a job offer we couldn’t turn down. I myself got a nice pay increase and we are doubling our home size for a fraction of the cost in NYC.

win, win, win,win, win.

Comment

Working...
          X