Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• notadoc
    replied
    This person is not a big fan of Richard Thaler and behavioral economics.

The Dismal Science of Richard Thaler

(Weekly Standard is pretty conservative)

http://www.weeklystandard.com/the-dismal-science-of-richard-thaler/article/2010092

Leave a comment:

• Hatton
    replied
    Watch out for snakes Dr Mom.  I am still freaked out from seeing a copperhead in the water near my seawall.

Leave a comment:

• Dr. Mom
    replied

Yes.  Boathouse in backyard with Larson Senza bought in 2009 for half what it was worth when local dealer was going out of business in the Great Recession.  Also, have a Polaris jet ski that the kids and husband really like using. It’s a 2 stroke engine that he and the boys will likely keep running for many years. Honestly, the kayaks get the most use lately. We had a Cat 22 sailboat but donated it to a Girl Scout camp because it wasn’t getting enough use from us anymore. My husband grew up on the beach and is a surfer.  For whatever reason he isn’t interested in wake boats, at least not yet.  He prefers wake skating. He talks about trading back to a boat with an outboard motor because he misses the ability to use the boat year round.  We both swam competitively when we were younger as do/did our kids.  Awesome swimming right off the dock.  I have lost more than one set of earrings jumping in though.
    Click to expand…

I’m available to come visit.

????

that’s an awesome setup!  jealous!

Advantage of LCOL city.  We could never afford this set up in CA or NY!

Leave a comment:

• q-school
    replied

Yes.  Boathouse in backyard with Larson Senza bought in 2009 for half what it was worth when local dealer was going out of business in the Great Recession.  Also, have a Polaris jet ski that the kids and husband really like using. It’s a 2 stroke engine that he and the boys will likely keep running for many years. Honestly, the kayaks get the most use lately. We had a Cat 22 sailboat but donated it to a Girl Scout camp because it wasn’t getting enough use from us anymore. My husband grew up on the beach and is a surfer.  For whatever reason he isn’t interested in wake boats, at least not yet.  He prefers wake skating. He talks about trading back to a boat with an outboard motor because he misses the ability to use the boat year round.  We both swam competitively when we were younger as do/did our kids.  Awesome swimming right off the dock.  I have lost more than one set of earrings jumping in though.

I'm available to come visit.

that's an awesome setup!  jealous!

Leave a comment:

• Dr. Mom
    replied
    Yes.  Boathouse in backyard with Larson Senza bought in 2009 for half what it was worth when local dealer was going out of business in the Great Recession.  Also, have a Polaris jet ski that the kids and husband really like using. It's a 2 stroke engine that he and the boys will likely keep running for many years. Honestly, the kayaks get the most use lately. We had a Cat 22 sailboat but donated it to a Girl Scout camp because it wasn't getting enough use from us anymore. My husband grew up on the beach and is a surfer.  For whatever reason he isn't interested in wake boats, at least not yet.  He prefers wakeskating. He talks about trading back to a boat with an outboard motor because he misses the ability to use the boat year round.  We both swam competitively when we were younger as do/did our kids.  Awesome swimming right off the dock.  I have lost more than one set of earrings jumping in though.

Leave a comment:

• The White Coat Investor
    replied

I have a great Chanel knock off with the braided chain shoulder strap that I got in Florence Italy.  People assume it is real because I am a doctor. HaHa. 
    Click to expand…

Funny.  I did the same thing with fake diamond earrings.  Everyone believed they were real since I am a doctor.  But I didn’t have to worry about losing them especially if I forgot to take them off before jumping off our dock!

To the OP, resisting the urge to spend becomes easier over time.  It is a muscle that you need to develop.  Each time you get a little stronger.  With electronics, by the time I’ve saved for what I wanted, something new/better/cheaper has usually come along.  Good luck!

I didn't know you lived on the water. You got a boat attached to that dock?

Leave a comment:

• Kamban
    replied

Gaming is the main purpose of all the parts I used to build the PC, otherwise I’d have one of those tiny PC boxes that are about the size of brick. The whole reason I posted the question originally is because the computer I have now, while outdated in some of the specs, still performs absolutely amazing. There’s no logical reason to change any hardware right now. Just have the urge to because the upgrades that exist now are a huge performance leap ahead of what I have and I just have so much fun tinkering around during the build process.

I am still not quite sure of what the end result will be. If you can still play the games, then any new build or major upgrade is not worth it. I have found that if I have to upgrade the CPU it i worth upgrading the whole thing and buying a new MB. I always buy one or two steps below the cutting edge.

It is natural to have urges and natural to successfully suppress them. There is nothing wrong with that behavior. When you have money you many initially be easily fulfill the urges but as you get more wealthy you will find yourself suppressing the urges even though you can easily afford it without affecting savings or quality of life.

Leave a comment:

• adventure
    replied

Have any of you experienced “correcting” your behavior so that you don’t crave what you once used to? What methods did you use? Was there trial and error?

Found other ways to spend time. Deep breath, then enjoyed walking the dog instead of geeking out. Also found other things to spend money on (just less money!). Realized I had multplie areas where I spent too much, so cut an area out. Made more money.

Also data. Spreadsheet (and associated graph!) that shows net worth and % of the way towards retirement.

Leave a comment:

• Hatton
    replied

Yes baby is here ????

I think I speak for the community in saying congrats.  I hope both you and baby are doing great.

Leave a comment:

• Miss Bonnie MD
    replied
    Yes baby is here

Leave a comment:

• Zaphod
    replied

Find something you are interested in that can take your mind off the subject. 
    Click to expand…

Computers are my interest. I hardly ever feel like spending money on clothes, other hobbies, random knick-knacks, etc. Computer tech is part of my selective extravagance some might say ???? I like to run as well as bike, but only for so long. At the end of the day after my wife and our little one go to bed, I can almost always be found on my computer. I’m either perusing this forum, nerding out over tech reviews/articles, or geeking out on video games. So I’m constantly by my computer. I just wish I could sit down at my desk without thinking, “Boy, it sure would be nice to have a smaller desktop tower so it doesn’t take up so much room” or “I know all my components work fine, but 6 years is a long time for hardware, it’s definitely time for an upgrade”.

The more I ruminate on this, the more I think it has a lot to do with just being happy with what you have. I’m sure I’m just playing my own little game of keeping up with the nerdy Jones’. I’ll hopefully get my hands on a few of the books that Johanna recommended once my library gets them in. Otherwise, it’s google time!

eh, this doesnt sound like being into computers as much as just being a normal consumer of content. Certainly dont need anything fancy for that. By this measure Im a silicon valley founder since I built this computer, yet I actually know jack about tech but do know its plug and play nowadays and 'building' is very subjective.

If it isnt disrupting important school or work related life, than it simply is absolutely not necessary. I had my laptop with a flickering screen for 6 months recently, and it was effecting work as my hands would cramp bending the screen to keep it readable. If it isnt broke stop worrying, find something else to focus on.

Leave a comment:

• RogueDadMD
    replied
    If that is your hobby and not just buying gadgets for fun, then finding a way to pay for some of it is important. It will be a challenge until your income increases, but doing it now may depend on your perception. It's certainly a "want" and not a "need", but that's not the same as an indulgence.

Leave a comment:

• wideopenspaces
    replied
    Call me crazy, but I actually don't think you should try to get rid of this urge. You're doing a good job of resisting it for the time being and it sounds like you'll continue to do so until you can afford to indulge it. But the urge is part of what makes you, you. It gives you pleasure and makes you happy. Don't stamp it out, especially since you don't have other things you really like spending money on. I know this isn't what you want to hear as life would be easier in the short term without it. But life will be better in the long term if you hang on to it. In the meantime, maybe it would help to spend less time reading about all the new parts you want?

Leave a comment:

• Queue
    replied

If gaming is the purpose then you do need a good machine or the game play isn’t fun.

Gaming is the main purpose of all the parts I used to build the PC, otherwise I'd have one of those tiny PC boxes that are about the size of brick. The whole reason I posted the question originally is because the computer I have now, while outdated in some of the specs, still performs absolutely amazing. There's no logical reason to change any hardware right now. Just have the urge to because the upgrades that exist now are a huge performance leap ahead of what I have and I just have so much fun tinkering around during the build process. I can't allow myself to buy since I don't have the money saved up in my personal spending category. If I buy it now, I'd basically have with take money away from other categories that are needed way more than newer computer parts. Thus my dilemma.

Leave a comment:

• RogueDadMD
    replied
    I know it's an oxymoron, but if you can build a worthy gaming machine without breaking the bank you will also enjoy the games guilt free. If gaming is the purpose then you do need a good machine or the game play isn't fun.

However if you just want a general upgrade, you can do that on your own quite economically while still getting a good machine. Particularly with holiday sales coming up.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X