Dining out isn't fun anymore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by wcinewbie View Post
    Add on terrible service from shortage of wait staff, smaller portions, inferior ingredients...you have an industry about to collapse.
    You’re going to the wrong restaurants.

Comment

• Originally posted by bovie View Post

You’re going to the wrong restaurants.
      I'm curious what the right ones are. I've noticed a decline in quality from high end down to low (I don't have a lot of fast food sample size, though).

Even when it's small, it's noticeable. And this is in addition to price increases.

Comment

• Originally posted by AR View Post

I'm curious what the right ones are. I've noticed a decline in quality from high end down to low (I don't have a lot of fast food sample size, though).

Even when it's small, it's noticeable. And this is in addition to price increases.
        The ones without the terrible service, smaller portions, and inferior ingredients.

Comment

The ones without the terrible service, smaller portions, and inferior ingredients.
          None around here

Comment

None around here
            Make sure to hit that Michelin guide on vacation then!

Comment

I don't know about "terrible service". But service is definitely worse than pre-COVID pretty much everywhere. Smaller portions are ubiquitous. "Inferior ingredients" is less common but it happens.

I can't think of anywhere I have eaten out in 2022* that hasn't had one or more of above. So, like wcinewbie, none around here either.

*I was in Canada a while back, and I didn't notice this problem there. And everything was reasonably priced given the strength of the dollar. Unfortunately, I don't think I can make it to Canada every time the mood for a nice restaurant experience strikes.
              Last edited by AR; 08-10-2022, 07:32 PM.

Comment

• What’s a Golden Corral buffet cost these days? I bet there’s still some value there.

Comment

• Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post
                  What’s a Golden Corral buffet cost these days? I bet there’s still some value there.
                  It costs a CABG, whatever your copay is for that.

Comment

• I realize this is a luxury, and that even at those prices we can still afford it, but I am no longer able to enjoy it.
                    I'd love to know how others are approaching and experiencing this?
                    I understand. Spouse and I grew up frugal by necessity and even though we can now afford to regularly dine at lavish places, we do not enjoy doing so. My spouse especially struggles with thoughts about how you could feed an entire family for a week for the price of dining out once. How we deal with it is simply allowing ourselves to enjoy what we are both able to enjoy. For us the table services isn't a big deal so we end up doing a lot of carry out while perhaps catching up on a show after a long week of work. When on vacation, spending time with friends, or other activities which may dictate dining expenses such as the ones discussed above we don't sweat it because we recognize the primary purpose of the activity is to enjoy vacation and time with our friends - the price of the meal is simply a secondary consideration because we know we'll never miss the money. This may be more of challenge for us if we were dining out with friends multiple times per week, but it is nowhere near that frequent.

Comment

• Originally posted by AR View Post

I'm not sure it's fair to compare between stores like that. Aldi is notorious for some ridiculous value on certain items. Could you have gotten a dozen at Walmart for fifty cents?
                      They were right around a dollar a dozen at Walmart until fairly recently. The Fed has the average cost at $1.20 to $1.50 until 2021 when they started skyrocketing in price!

Comment

• I thought of this thread yesterday as I had a nice lunch with great service. Two of us, each with a beverage, full bellies. $44 +$10 cash tip.

It was a respite during back to school shopping for this dad--I would have paid twice that without blinking!

Comment

Add on terrible service from shortage of wait staff, smaller portions, inferior ingredients...you have an industry about to collapse.
                          ???

Not sure where you live, but restaurants are booming in most cities. The nicer ones have waitlists that span a few weeks, months for top shelf ones.

Comment

• Originally posted by StarTrekDoc View Post
                            Just got back from BJ's. Three people. Under $90 with tip. One being a prime rib.

Now only if the Padres didn't get swept
                            Next time ur near Petco Park, check out Callie. Voted best restaurant this year. Exquisite Mediterranean food, drinks stellar as well.

Will likely cost more than ur total bill at BJ's per adult tho...

Comment

• It's good that eating out costs a lot more these days. This way we would not eat out as much and not eat all junk food. Cook at home and eat healthy.

Comment

• Our eyeballs face forward, not to the side. We have pointy canine teeth for a reason.

I know some people might be offended and hurt by these facts, but don’t give me that side eye.

Comment

Working...
                                X