Mini milestones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini milestones

I remember reading about celebrating milestones in a post written a few weeks ago. We just crossed over into 5 digits in our investment account. Even though some on this board probably put this amount in their investment accounts every month, we're still in early residency, so I felt proud of accomplishing this and thought I'd celebrate by posting on here. I also hope this gives some encouragement to others just starting their careers and financial journey well into the negative net worth like us. Just keep plugging away. Now on to 50k!

Thumbs up - congratulations on meeting your mini milestone. Pretty impressive that you have such a firm grasp of your finances so early in your career.
    Working to protect good doctors from bad advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

I think it is great to celebrate the mini milestones.  We're closing in on 500k and I still fondly remember net worth zero.  A physician in residency with a positive net worth is amazing.  If you live like a resident 5 years out of residency you may have to retire early and start a blog!

Comment

Congrats! Positive net worth and actually living like a resident while in residency is a real achievement.

Comment

I must have misunderstood the inference - you have positive net worth, too? That would be pretty awesome.
          Working to protect good doctors from bad advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

No we don't have a positive net worth! It's still firmly in the negatives. I apologize if my original post indicated otherwise. I wish we were in the positives, but for now I'm just excited that our investments have tipped over 10k.

Comment

No we don’t have a positive net worth! It’s still firmly in the negatives. I apologize if my original post indicated otherwise. I wish we were in the positives, but for now I’m just excited that our investments have tipped over 10k.

We are excited for you, too! Keep on plugging at it - with your attitude, it won't be long until you have that next milestone conquered!

Comment

My mistake. Still congrats on a positive savings rate, which isn't easy in residentcy either!

Comment

Baby steps are important.  You can't change the big picture yet.  If you keep focusing on things you can't handle yet, then you'll get discouraged about the things you can handle now.   Milestones are important.  Keep doing your best to stay the course, and you'll be better off for it.  Cheers

Comment

To DMFA: Exactly. We can't have a positive net worth right now no matter what, so I try and focus on putting as much money as we can (read: as much as my wife lets me) into our investment accounts each month. I've definitely been guilty of trying to wish our debt away. It doesn't work

Comment

Journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step.

Congrats, thats great!

Comment

I’d celebrate by posting on here

Do something together too!

Comment

I would, but my wife could care less haha. Actually, I smell an opportunity to do a random thoughtful thing for her while secretly celebrating our mini milestone!

Comment

Actually, I smell an opportunity to do a random thoughtful thing for her while secretly celebrating our mini milestone!

I vote yes!

Comment

I remember reading about celebrating milestones in a post written a few weeks ago. We just crossed over into 5 digits in our investment account. Even though some on this board probably put this amount in their investment accounts every month, we’re still in early residency, so I felt proud of accomplishing this and thought I’d celebrate by posting on here. I also hope this gives some encouragement to others just starting their careers and financial journey well into the negative net worth like us. Just keep plugging away. Now on to 50k!

Congratulations! In the long race to financial independence, it's always good to celebrate the mini-milestones to help you keep going. As your investment accounts grow, the engine of compound interest begins to do much of the heavy lifting for you, but right now the progress is relatively slow.

-WSP

Comment

Working...
                              X