The reasons for an emergency fund

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The reasons for an emergency fund

Just wanted to share my recent experience, and why I'm so thankful for an emergency fund.

A little over 2 weeks ago, we welcomed our 3rd child (hence, why I have been absent from here for a bit). We couldn't have asked for a smoother delivery, and are very thankful for the new addition. We have a HDHP and anticipated the costs of labor/delivery, and we didn't have any unanticipated charges (NICU).

However, in the week that followed our delivery, we had another child need to go to the ER (r/o appy), and a major car repair (nearly $4000). All of this at the beginning of my 12 week maternity leave (1/2 at 60% pay, 1/2 unpaid). We are fortunate enough to be in a position that the 5-figure bills we now have can be paid, in addition to keeping the length of my maternity leave without having a significant drop.

Really, the post is to say that unexpected things can happen. I am thankful that I don't have to be concerned that I need to rush back to work sooner in order to pay these bills. Our emergency fund really helped in this situation, and I'm happy that we had built this up in anticipation of my leave. Now the only thing that can get me back to work sooner is the boredom... =) Luckily, I have plenty of CME I can work on to help.

Congrats on the healthy baby.

Comment

Our second child is coming up on a week old now. We also have a HDHP and I am not looking forward to the bill, but will be able to pay it.

We also will have an unexpected expense though. My wife was laboring at home like she planned on. It was a VBAC and we were prepared for labor to take forever. It was going fine for a few hours then she thought it stalled. Then all of a sudden she went from 0-60 in about 5 minutes, water broke, and she couldn’t walk. So she got to ride in an ambulance to the hospital. Baby was crowning when we rolled into the room. 25 minutes later he was here, happy and healthy.

As an aside, they sent a fire truck and an ambulance, which I expect, and both only had men. They all pretty much refused to look at her nether regions and see if a baby was coming. They had a second ambulance meet them on the way with a women who finally checked her and said the baby was turtle heading. Seems weird to me that you can have a job as an emergency responder, but decide there are certain emergencies you don’t respond too. Anyway, if they try to charge us extra for another ambulance, that is a bill I would argue about paying.

Comment

Congrats on the babies. My wife just delivered our second a few days ago.

Comment

Originally posted by pierre View Post
          Our second child is coming up on a week old now. We also have a HDHP and I am not looking forward to the bill, but will be able to pay it.

We also will have an unexpected expense though. My wife was laboring at home like she planned on. It was a VBAC and we were prepared for labor to take forever. It was going fine for a few hours then she thought it stalled. Then all of a sudden she went from 0-60 in about 5 minutes, water broke, and she couldn’t walk. So she got to ride in an ambulance to the hospital. Baby was crowning when we rolled into the room. 25 minutes later he was here, happy and healthy.

As an aside, they sent a fire truck and an ambulance, which I expect, and both only had men. They all pretty much refused to look at her nether regions and see if a baby was coming. They had a second ambulance meet them on the way with a women who finally checked her and said the baby was turtle heading. Seems weird to me that you can have a job as an emergency responder, but decide there are certain emergencies you don’t respond too. Anyway, if they try to charge us extra for another ambulance, that is a bill I would argue about paying.
          You are lucky that your wife and baby are ok. No words.

Comment

Congrats on the new (and healthy!) baby! Also congrats on having an EF so you have one less things to worry about during this time.

Comment

You did not attempt a delivery at home? What kind of doctor are you!?!?!

The 0-60 comment took me a minute. I was thinking dilation but that obviously does not make sense but then I thought maybe he is talking about effacement but then I read it out loud and realized I am an idiot...

Before Medicine I was EMS. There might have been an hour of training on all problems pregnancy. Most EMTs only have a 150 hour training course. Scoop and run.

I am glad everything worked out.

Comment

Originally posted by Lordosis View Post

You did not attempt a delivery at home? What kind of doctor are you!?!?!

The 0-60 comment took me a minute. I was thinking dilation but that obviously does not make sense but then I thought maybe he is talking about effacement but then I read it out loud and realized I am an idiot...

Before Medicine I was EMS. There might have been an hour of training on all problems pregnancy. Most EMTs only have a 150 hour training course. Scoop and run.

I am glad everything worked out.
                My paramedic instructor once said that “the liberal application of diesel to most situations will be of great benefit to your patients; don’t dilly dally in the field and get the bus moving.” Wise words…

Comment

You are lucky that both baby and mother are doing fine.
                  Sometimes a "stitch in time saves nine".

Comment

First, congratulations on the new addition.
                    Second, I hope your other child is doing better.
                    And lastly, good work having the emergency fund in place. It's what it's for, for when life happens....

Enjoy the CME in your downtime

Comment

Bored . . . On maternity leave. . . With 2 kids and a newborn.

​​I'm concerned you may have stroked out 🤣

Congrats on the newbie!

Comment

Originally posted by F0017S0 View Post

My paramedic instructor once said that “the liberal application of diesel to most situations will be of great benefit to your patients; don’t dilly dally in the field and get the bus moving.” Wise words…
                        When I used to volunteer as an EMT the driver on that night was a retired NYS trooper. He would get that thing moving!

Comment

Attempting to stay home to VBAC......Insanity. One word.

Comment

Originally posted by Lordosis View Post

When I used to volunteer as an EMT the driver on that night was a retired NYS trooper. He would get that thing moving!
                            A favorite movie of mine is Nic Cage’s “Bringing Out the Dead”. A version of “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest” in the setting of EMS and not psychiatry…

Comment

Originally posted by Hatton View Post
                              Attempting to stay home to VBAC......Insanity. One word.
                              We had an ED doc ( spouse was also a doc but can't remember the specialty) a few years back who just did a regular delivery at home and they lost the baby in the process. I'll never understand what would posses a physician to do such a thing after all the bad outcomes we see. And I don't know how you move on from doing such a stupid thing with such a horrifying outcome. I can't tell if that previous poster meant they were planning to do a VBAC at home or just labor to a certain point but I sure hope it was the latter. Unfortunately babies come whenever the $%&* they want to so it's lucky it ended as well as it did!

Comment

Working...
                              X