How much more do I need to be saving?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much more do I need to be saving?

We are approaching the point in which all of our high interest loans will be paid off. We have maxed out all tax efficient savings. I would like to start saving some additional retirement money in taxable accounts. My goal is to have 5mil saved in 10-15years from now. I am trying to figure out how much per month I need to be putting away to make this happen. Wondering which calculators folks have found most helpful to estimate these amounts? Thanks in advanced!

Where are you at now? Can use a compound interest calculator

Comment

Comment

Investment Calculator

Comment

Just google future value calculator, or use the future value function in excel. Jim has articles on how to learn how to do it in excel

Comment

Thank you

Comment

1. How long have you been out of residency / fellowship?
              2. Are you saving at least 20% of gross compensation towards retirement?

Comment

https://www.investor.gov/financial-t...oal-calculator
                You need to save $9,261 per month for the next 15 years and have a growth rate of 7% for your $800,000 to become $5,000,000.
                The scary part is that if inflation remains at 7%, $5,000,000 will be the equivalent of $1,800,000 in todays dollars in 15 years. Compound interest works both ways.

Comment

Originally posted by nephron View Post
                  You need to save $9,261 per month for the next 15 years and have a growth rate of 7% for your $800,000 to become $5,000,000.
                  The scary part is that if inflation remains at 7%, $5,000,000 will be the equivalent of $1,800,000 in todays dollars in 15 years. Compound interest works both ways.
                  This, ladies and gentlemen, is why you should use risk adjusted, after tax, inflation-adjusted ("real") rates of return rather than nominal returns when you run your calculations. "How much beer money will this be in the future?"

Comment

I have been out of fellowship for 9years. My husband just finished residency 2 years ago. About 12%.

Comment

Originally posted by nephron View Post
                      I was using estimates of 3-4% return to account for inflation?

Comment

Originally posted by Psychfatfire View Post

I was using estimates of 3-4% return to account for inflation?
                        I use 3% inflation for my estimations but who knows.

Comment

I have been out of fellowship for 9years. My husband just finished residency 2 years ago. About 12%.
                          That isn’t enough to save towards retirement. Plumbers and nurses need to save 10% to 15% of gross income for retirement.

Doctors need to save at least 20% of gross income towards retirement. Part of this is because you start earning your full income so many years later than folks who started working with a four year degree or less. Another reason is that social security will replace a far lower percentage of a high earner’s working years income.

Simple math suggests that gross income less taxes and savings equals spending / consumption. The greater your spending during your working years, the higher your retirement accounts will have to be to maintain that same standard of living in retirement.
                          Last edited by Hank; 03-20-2022, 05:03 PM.

Comment

Does anyone use personal capital for estimates? I like it bc you can put in all the life events (college, weddings etc). But I wonder if it is overly conservative? The success rate it shows seems to be less than other calculators (meaning it tells me I need to save significantly more to get to goal).

Comment

With high interest loans about to be cleared, guessing you plan for this to go up a decent bit?

Comment

Working...
                              X