No announcement yet.

Social security

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just found this piece by Wade Pfau (hopefully you know who he is, one of the thought leaders in financial planning). May be helpful to making your decision. Basic info, but all of these things matter, especially when trying to DIY.
    Last edited by jfoxcpacfp; 12-26-2021, 05:48 PM. Reason: Added closed parentheses
    Our passion is protecting clients and others from predatory and ignorant advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

I used the opensocialsecurity.com to calculate when we should take our benefits. Weird though... as I entered the same PIA for my husband and I (assumption, as I did not get into his SS account) and it wanted me to take mine early and him to take his later. however, statistically speaking, I should outlive him. So why wouldn't I take mine later (larger amount) and him earlier? Does it have to do with the death benefit? If I took it earlier, the additive, once he died, my benefit would be the same as if I took it late. But if I took it late and him early, wouldn't I get about 1/2 of his? Which would be about $10K over my additive benefits once he died. Thoughts?
      Basically, my question is, if the benefits are similar (both high earners), shouldn't the spouse who plans to outlive the other take their benefit later?

Comment

If you are both the same age, and both high earners, then can you each claim spousal benefits at FRA then switch to your own benefits at 70?

Comment

I don’t think a spouse can claim spousal benefits without their partner claiming their own benefit first or concurrently. For a dual same age high earning couple, it’s probably best to just claim own primary benefit at appropriate time.

Comment

My understanding is spouse cannot claim until primary claims -- same for Disabled Adult Child. Primary needs to be taking on social security first.

OpenSS uses standard living charts. I believe you can adjust that manually too. One can use the What If? scenarios after the initial recommendation and it'll point out those changes and comparison too.

Comment

Originally posted by StarTrekDoc View Post
              My understanding is spouse cannot claim until primary claims -- same for Disabled Adult Child. Primary needs to be taking on social security first.

OpenSS uses standard living charts. I believe you can adjust that manually too. One can use the What If? scenarios after the initial recommendation and it'll point out those changes and comparison too.
              unless "primary" is deceased- then you can at 60 or earlier if disabled children are involved

Comment

Working...
              X