Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holiday spending

How much do you all spend on gifts?

Everybody's situation is different so it's hard to make this relatable to all. So I'm going to break it down into spouse, children, total

Spouse about 700. We don't usually spend this much on each other but I really flubbed her birthday this year and our anniversary due to very poor lead time to covid quarantining.

Kids. About a hundred bucks each. We keep this light on purpose because they get a lot of junk from other family members.

In total after you account for all the extraneous family members, friends and work it generally falls between 2 and 3k.

Right now I am wrapping presents and putting things together so writing this post is giving me a nice little therapeutic break!

Geeez. You already shopped? I went to Sam's Club with my wife and got her a $100 electric toothbrush she asked for LAST YEAR and didn't get.
    As a thoughtful effort, I got an 8 pack of the replacement brush heads. Yup, the wife wraps the presents. Almost forgot, she bought some shoes last week. Really hard to fit. Those are getting wrapped also. I looked at Sam's for an electric razor for her to give to me. Decided to wait.
    You see, we buy everything that we actually need and want through out the year. Older folks its the thought that counts. I go out of my way to make sure her "two kids" make it home for Christmas Eve and Christmas Morning. The wine and booze and tamales are a different question.

The "kids" we are trying to cut back. Mom gets multiple gifts and stocking stuff. We tell the kids, $100 limit for our gifts and usually get clothes. Someone always gets me a box of chocolate covered cherries.

The "new grandson" is pup that was born 12/25/20. Soooooooo, a couple of toys were the first "family" presents Mom bought. Christmas Morning will be the "first birthday". I have no idea but I could see a cake of some type with one candle.

Extended family is problematic. We have 12 siblings with kids that have their own kids. We drew the line at high school and below. I let her choose which ones were naughty or nice! We are past trying to figure out who needs what and she buys what she has been told. Usually $20 or below.

We no longer are interested in buying expensive gifts. I might buy Mom some art pens or supplies. I doubt it, I did that one before. All told, I doubt we are spending $2k. Cheap. We have one sibling we always buy $50 gift certificates, because they always buy the same.

Our view now is Christmas presents are for the little kids. Running on empty. I have spent $3k on airline tickets before to get our kids home. Not an issue this year.

Comment

Mom- Tory Burch purse 1k$
      Grandpa - Gold Ring - 2500$
      Dad - New Computer 1800$

Comment

Originally posted by Craigslist View Post
        Mom- Tory Burch purse 1k$
        Grandpa - Gold Ring - 2500$
        Dad - New Computer 1800$
        Not sure this is a serious post (I'm assuming not), but weren't you posting that your NW was 500k underwater in the other thread?

Comment

Originally posted by Lithium View Post

Not sure this is a serious post (I'm assuming not), but weren't you posting that your NW was 500k underwater in the other thread?
          That is what I spent on them. And that is true regarding my networth. But I've also paid off 100k in private loans over the last year, I have an additional 100k saved to lump sum into my student loans when covid forebearance ends. I am living with my parents essentially while I do locums and so my living expenses are relatively low. I think I can spend some money on them. I also bought a tesla.

But I don't have a family, no kids, no wife, i dont believe in god and so i dont tithe, i dont give to charity.

Comment

Cutco Knife for all siblings and all parents. $100/knife
            AirPods mom
            Nest thermostat dad
            $1k charitable donation inlaws
            Bunch of small random gifts for nieces and nephews

Wife - nothing.. She buys whatever she wants anyways.

Comment

Dogs..TNTC toys.

Comment

i prefer to not think about it

Comment

My wife wanted something custom framed so we spent like $1k on that.

I gave my brother $2k for his family to do whatever with. I usually give them $1k but he expressed interest in getting the Costco wagyu steaks so I gave him another $1k for that… but we decided 12 pounds of wagyu is just too much lol.

He usually just buys my parents something and I chip in money. (I’m terrible about buying gifts so I usually just gift money).

Comment

Originally posted by Craigslist View Post

That is what I spent on them. And that is true regarding my networth. But I've also paid off 100k in private loans over the last year, I have an additional 100k saved to lump sum into my student loans when covid forebearance ends. I am living with my parents essentially while I do locums and so my living expenses are relatively low. I think I can spend some money on them. I also bought a tesla.

But I don't have a family, no kids, no wife, i dont believe in god and so i dont tithe, i dont give to charity.
                    Hint, if you happen to find you are about to leave the folks, max out the credit card buying the limit for them. Only your estate is responsible. Head out being very generous to your folks. Unsecured debt will be no problem.

Comment

More than I’d care to admit. As kids get older their tastes and desires get more expensive. My wife did most of the shopping and I just found out about it after the fact so I can claim ignorance.

Comment

Originally posted by Hatton View Post
                        Dogs..TNTC toys.
                        My mutt is one of the few other than staff who I buy presents for and after reading your post I immediately googled TNTC dog toys to see if I was missing something good lol.

Comment

About $500 on spouse. Kids I don’t know…spouse is on that one. Less than $200 I’d say. I give out a few grand in cash gifts to all of my employees (total for all) for their Xmas bonuses. One employee gets multiple thousand as end of the year bonus.

Comment

Originally posted by StateOfMyHead View Post

My mutt is one of the few other than staff who I buy presents for and after reading your post I immediately googled TNTC dog toys to see if I was missing something good lol.
                            Too numerous to count.

Comment

Couple hundred on my husband. He asked for nothing so I got some clothes/shoes *I* think he needs.
                              I bought my own gifts this year because I haven't shopped for myself all year and wanted some specific things. $700
                              13 yo has gotten expensive - oculus and a couple other things. $900
                              5yo could have gone cheap but I got him the big brio train set. $600
                              Nanny bonus, 2 siblings with medical expenses so are getting more than I usually give, charitable donations, teachers, housecleaners. . . $7500.

Comment

Working...
                              X