Babies and windfalls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Babies and windfalls

Wife and I are 35yo PTs, expecting our 3rd child (will be 3 under 5yo), and looking at a windfall of ~80k in 2022. I would appreciate your input…

Gross income: ~180k

EF: 4-months

I-bonds: 20k (viewing as stash for larger vehicle/extra e-fund)

Retirement accounts: 630k (50%US, 20% int’l, 20% bond, 10% reit)

Taxable: none

529s: 22k

Debt: Mortgage of 250k at 2.875 with home value ~350k

NW just north of 800k not including windfall.

We have consistently been 30% savers and actually hit 40% the past few years- the progress has been rewarding. As such, we are actually considering spending the windfall! We are looking at recreational/hunting properties (I can smell the wood burning stove now) in our rural area and would keep it <30min from home. It is likely my old man would put down another 100k or so if the right property became available. What do you say? Land loans are 4-5% right now… would you dare take the loan and invest? With an uncertain timeline, where would you store the funds? My initial thoughts are max I-bonds and …. ? Or, don’t do it!? Thoughts, please.

wait. you're going to spend the windfall to go all-in with a family member? I would not do that.

If I were you, given you already have a healthy savings rate, I'd spend 10-20% it on anything you want. For the remainder, I'd probably put it in taxable or 529s as long as you and your wife are maxing all your retirement plans

Comment

Originally posted by JBME View Post
      wait. you're going to spend the windfall to go all-in with a family member? I would not do that
      I understand the concern. The money would be gifted and property placed in my name. FWIW, I am the only child.

Comment

Do they have public properties you can use for hunting/recreation that are also close? Does this mean you would have to buy said recreational vehicles or do you already own them?

Comment

So you're getting an $80k windfall and then another family member is giving you a $100k windfall? Are you sure there are no strings (emotional or psychological) attached? From a money standpoint, if you're getting $180k free and clear with no strings attached and then want to basically spend it all on one thing I still wouldn't spend so much money like that. I'm not trying to be miserly...by all means enjoy some of this money. 10-20% of the dollars you are posting is still plenty of money to spend to enjoy something. You're basically saying you want to use it for a vacation home if I understand correctly. Just understand it's not an investment and it's a consumption item/something solely to enjoy.

I still wouldn't do it personally but that's me. Your mortgage is reasonable for the salary listed and I assume you are otherwise debt free (no student loans or car loans) and a healthy savings rate so you have a lot of good there. I just worry about spending that much of a gift on a single thing.

Comment

You seem pretty set to me with a reasonably affordable house. I would be more worried about time constraints with three under three. I would go cheap and rustic myself and not take on a mortgage for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Shant View Post
              You seem pretty set to me with a reasonably affordable house. I would be more worried about time constraints with three under three. I would go cheap and rustic myself and not take on a mortgage for it.
              3 under 5- exhausting nonetheless

Comment

180k buys 120acres around here- no need for public land nearby. Adding a small cabin may be a goal later in life. Agreed I would not want another building to take care of now.

Comment

Originally posted by MWPT View Post
                  180k buys 120acres around here- no need for public land nearby. Adding a small cabin may be a goal later in life. Agreed I would not want another building to take care of now.
                  Does your spouse hunt? Or is this for you and your dad..

Comment

Property without a structure sounds terrible with 3 under 5. Just saying. Seems like a good idea at the time.
                    That taxable would look at lot better without a zero. I'd treat the spouse to a nice vacation and call it done. I am sure you will find ways to spend it in the future. It will hurt alot more spending money you already have.

Comment

As long as you can continue saving 20%, you can afford to buy the property.

Just cos you can afford it, doesn’t mean you should buy it. Will it really bring you a lot of joy?

If I were you, I’d go on a nice vacation with my family for 10-15k, put 12k in my spouse and I’d backdoor Roth IRA, and use the remaining 50k and split it evenly amongst the 3 kids 529.

Others on here would buy crypto or a boat 🤣

As long as your lifestyle stays in a range where you can save 20% of your gross income annually, do whatever makes you happy.

Comment

Originally posted by MWPT View Post
                        Is your wife into this? I get that it's an inheritance given to just you but I can't see myself being happy about my husband blowing it all on land that he'll use while leaving me at home with 3 kids under 5.

Comment

Originally posted by ObgynMD View Post
                          Others on here would buy crypto or a boat 🤣
                          What about a fake yacht in the metaverse?

A metaverse mega yacht that just sold for $650,000 is the most expensive NFT sold in The Sandbox virtual world | Currency News | Financial and Business News | Markets Insider (businessinsider.com)

Comment

Originally posted by childay View Post
                            Does your spouse hunt? Or is this for you and your dad..
                            Fair point. Yes, she does.

Comment

Wtffffff. Why not just buy a yacht in real life? 🤦‍♀️

Comment

Working...
                              X