Personal finance talk for residents/beginners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Personal finance talk for residents/beginners

Does anyone have any good personal finance powerpoints they would be willing to share with the group? I know they are out there! Target audience would be residents/"beginners". And obviously would follow the WCI philosophy.

Perhaps the author of the latest plog post would share!

Comment

I made a few. Bonnie has, too. FutureDoc I think did one as well. Mine was too long and had to be broken down into components.

I might be able to post some when I get a break at work.

Comment

I messaged OP. Happy to share my PowerPoint. Really as long as you keep the slides short and the message relevant you can't go wrong.

Comment

I have one for residents one for students, altho pretty much the same but slightly diff, i'm always updating/tweaking it. PM if interested. Mine has a lot of my examples of mistakes too - would add yours. I think the audience appreciates that part.

Comment

I have a two-part talk I give that's peppered with a lot of examples, but I've avoided sharing it primarily because I give so many anecdotes that the slides themselves are built off what I say in person.  I also update them frequently.  I developed it a few years ago and have given it many many times already.

I'm it again in a few weeks to our combined peds/IM residents and will make more tweaks before then.

I'm happy to share the general principles/outlines even if I don't share specific slides.
            An alt-brown look at medicine, money, faith, & family
            www.RogueDadMD.com

Comment

I have a two-part talk I give that’s peppered with a lot of examples, but I’ve avoided sharing it primarily because I give so many anecdotes that the slides themselves are built off what I say in person.  I also update them frequently.  I developed it a few years ago and have given it many many times already.

I’m it again in a few weeks to our combined peds/IM residents and will make more tweaks before then.

I’m happy to share the general principles/outlines even if I don’t share specific slides.

I'm the blog post author.

I'm basically in the same position, my slides are minimalist bc I mostly speak extemporaneously.

Happy to talk about principles and outlines.

Comment

I have a two-part talk I give that’s peppered with a lot of examples, but I’ve avoided sharing it primarily because I give so many anecdotes that the slides themselves are built off what I say in person.  I also update them frequently.  I developed it a few years ago and have given it many many times already.

I’m it again in a few weeks to our combined peds/IM residents and will make more tweaks before then.

I’m happy to share the general principles/outlines even if I don’t share specific slides.
                Click to expand…

I’m the blog post author.

I’m basically in the same position, my slides are minimalist bc I mostly speak extemporaneously.

That was a good post, man.  Thanks for that

Comment

Click to expand…

I’m basically in the same position, my slides are minimalist bc I mostly speak extemporaneously.

Click to expand…

That was a good post, man.  Thanks for that

glad you enjoyed it. they are fun lectures to give for sure. way better than core content.

Comment

I have some. They were for a 15 min slot at our specialties conference a while ago. I also mostly use slides as prompts to say what I plan to. I have about 19 slides with stuff, very basic. No specific types of plan, contribution limits, nothing. Just very basic. Got a lot of questions, people are hungry for this stuff.

Comment

Click to expand…

Enjoyed the post. I have a question -- when do you think you'll stop disclosing your net worth?

I wish someone had a frank talk about $$$ with me. I'd like to pay it back in the future once I'm FI, but I can see that being somewhat awkward.

Comment

Good question.

To be fair, I don't disclose exact net worth when I've given this talk outside of my institution or in a more formal regional/national setting. I did when I gave it to a local closely partnered residency program, I did when I gave it to anesth residents at my home institution. Not planning to when I do a city wide conference coming up.

This has more to do with me with ability to connect with audience that embarrassment. I want it to be a launching point for a frank conversation and I think that's more easily sold in a tabletop discussion than an auditorium. Like I said it's part of a larger effort at transparency that I try to bring to teaching.

As far as a number, I don't know. As it gets bigger it raises some other issues e.g. disclosing it to my residents and having them disseminate to other faculty. Not that I would care but others do get uncomfortable.

I'm also sensitive to the fact that at 35 and 5 years out of residency I am still, for a brief and rapidly fading moment, a "young faculty member" who is probably culturally closer to many residents than most senior, late career attendings. Obviously as that changes I'll modify the talk and probably focus more on "here is where we are 10 years out, do you want this for yourself?"

Great question retinadoc I appreciate it.

Comment

MPMD-Great article.

I too give a few personal finance talks to trainees (residents, medical students, CRNAs/SRNAs).  All are basic and are about 30 minutes of content; that being said, I usually give them in a 45-60 minute time slot to allow for questions and discussion.

My learner groups are only 10 max, so I prefer to work off a paper outline with a white board rather than slides.

As far as net worth discussions, I agree that it provides an opportunity to connect with your audience.

I disclose my net worth, as well as the net worth of several of my partners.  All are at various points in their careers and their numbers actually vary quite a bit.  I was surprised how forthcoming my partners were in both telling me their number and their thoughts on why their finances are where they are.

This usually leads to some good discussion.

Comment

My talk may give you some ideas:

http://wealthydoc.com/blog/wealthy-doc-gave-a-talk-to-fps-about-finance-investing

Comment

Thanks everyone for your very thoughtful responses

Comment

Working...
                              X