No announcement yet.

Affording California

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California definitely has diversity and many ethnicities and it's more spread out and consistent for larger parts of geographic areas than other places in the us.

I believe that's the main difference.

I would say Detroit has a much larger and deeper diverse population taken as a whole. The issue is as witnessed, enclaves occur. We can identify whole cities of concentrated ethnic areas and that lends to issues like Kamban has observed.

Comment

• Originally posted by StarTrekDoc View Post
      California definitely has diversity and many ethnicities and it's more spread out and consistent for larger parts of geographic areas than other places in the us.

I believe that's the main difference.

I would say Detroit has a much larger and deeper diverse population taken as a whole. The issue is as witnessed, enclaves occur. We can identify whole cities of concentrated ethnic areas and that lends to issues like Kamban has observed.
      Enclaves have been and will continue to create problems. Not for the familiarity that is advantageous, but the unintended consequences.
      For lack of a better word, assimilation or the melting pot. The sum of the parts is greater than the pieces.
      Many cities have concentrations that work initially and then limit the benefits.
      Little Italy, Mexican , Polish, Asian (this is so much of an over simplification), German etc have sprouted up but eventually become disadvantages. Labels that prohibit synergies.
      By the way, it is difficult to find a good Tex-Mex restaurant outside of Texas. You can find good Italian or Mexican restaurant about anywhere.
      Share the traditions and food. Don’t be selfish.

Comment

• Originally posted by blippi View Post
        flying is a pain. driving 2-5 hours for ocean or mountains with gear inside is doable most places, makes weekend driving trips to different climates and terrains feasible, though for me 3+ day weekends are preferred.
        The East coast is good in this regard upto GA. You have the Atlantic Ocean on one side and the Appalachian mountains on the other. In S. Carolina they are 3-4 hours apart. So one can live closer to your main liking/interest but also reach the other one within 3 hours for a weekend getaway

Comment

• Originally posted by Hatton View Post
          This mod does not get the football jokes...Roll Tide. War Eagle.
          Roll Tide and War Eagle mix like oil and water.
          Erstwhile Dance Theatre of Dayton performer cum bellhop. Carried (many) bags for a lovely and gracious 59 yo Cyd Charisse. (RIP) Hosted epic company parties after Friday night rehearsals.

Comment

• I have attended both so I can say both.

Comment

I have attended both so I can say both.
              Only undergrad counts. I don't make the rules, I'm just reporting them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tim View Post

By the way, it is difficult to find a good Tex-Mex restaurant outside of Texas. \
                It's difficult to find good Tex-Mex in TX. Mostly because Tex-Mex is generally terrible (admittedly there are some exceptions). Authentic Mexican food is actually pretty great. Tex-Mex, on the other hand, is not.

Comment

• Originally posted by AR View Post

It's difficult to find good Tex-Mex in TX. Mostly because Tex-Mex is generally terrible (admittedly there are some exceptions). Authentic Mexican food is actually pretty great. Tex-Mex, on the other hand, is not.
                  Correct. Just tried a new one. Wife said the mole is too sweet. Not how she makes it. We gravitate towards her “home cooking”. Hard to draw a line between Tex-Mex and Authentic for Mexican restaurants.
                  I actually commented that I was sure the mole tasted a little different when her sister’s made it.
                  My point is throwing up a sign for Tex-Mex or Mexican doesn’t make it taste good. A lot of that happens in Texas as well. Just more local choices.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lordosis View Post

I feel that air travel makes the necessity of this obsolete. I can escape my cold snowy January darkness and fly to a beach in 2 to 3 hours.
                    I find that the beach makes cold, snowy January darkness obsolete. If you want decent snow for skiing, Park City is close and there are direct flights to ski towns in Colorado. No need to be in the snow when you aren’t skiing or snow boarding. Certainly no need to deal with the slush and ice in a place like Detroit or Chicago that doesn’t have mountains.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hank View Post

I find that the beach makes cold, snowy January darkness obsolete. If you want decent snow for skiing, Park City is close and there are direct flights to ski towns in Colorado. No need to be in the snow when you aren’t skiing or snow boarding. Certainly no need to deal with the slush and ice in a place like Detroit or Chicago that doesn’t have mountains.
                      For sure. Winter is a pain. But it really makes me appreciate the warmer weather.

Plus it is cheaper to live here.

Also no natural disasters.

Oh and no traffic! But watch out for deer.

Comment

I have attended both so I can say both.
                        Don't you have to pick a side?
                        Erstwhile Dance Theatre of Dayton performer cum bellhop. Carried (many) bags for a lovely and gracious 59 yo Cyd Charisse. (RIP) Hosted epic company parties after Friday night rehearsals.

Comment

• Originally posted by CM View Post

Don't you have to pick a side?
                          Hatton is too smart for that. Have you heard of the campus bookie? She plays both sides and pockets the vig. A true legend on both campuses.

Comment

• Is there any online paycheck calculator you guys will recommend to estimate net pay in CA

Comment

Working...
                            X