Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having 2 Jobs (Full Time and Part-Time)

Is it doable for high-earning professionals like doctors to have two jobs. Say if Medicine is your primary gig, but also have another job that you do in your free time? Obvious answers would be managing rental properties you own or something than can be done online, but I'm curious if anyone has any other suggestions.

I have heard of someone (not a doctor) who works full time and also is part owner in a body shop. He and his friend/partner takes turns being there while the other is busy.

I suppose anything is doable but it would come down to what are you wanting to gain (additional income, hobby, etc) vs. what are you sacrificing with the another job (free time, family time, medicine to some extent). Which way does the pendulum swing?

Comment

There are innumerable blog posts about these “side hustles.” It is doable (WCI is the most prominent example), but the most salient question is not how to pull it off but if taking a second job is consistent with living your best life.

Comment

It's possible, but most often medicine is your highest return on time invested. So if you want to make more money, the thing that makes the most sense is to work more at your primary job. Most of the time anything else is a hobby you enjoy doing that you can make money from as well.

Personally, my 'part-time job/side hustle' was learning about options trading. As that scaled and I surpassed my FI number, it's now my main 'job' and I retired/went part time with medicine.

There is a lot of interest in real estate though. Either managing your own properties (both residential and commercial I've seen here) or syndications (some here but more seen on facebook groups).

Comment

As others have said, best money per hour in the short term is working in medicine. Best in the long term is possibly business, or you can earn nothing.

I used to have real estate but when I realized that the returns were not big enough to justify the time, I shifted to paper assets and will side hustle using my medical degree. Some people crush this; I know of academic family docs that work 3 day weeks, for example, and work at urgent care the other two. If you want to grind, you can make over $400k in FM with the safety of employment. If you are on a productivity model, you can simply see more patients.

Comment

Sure, if you really have an interest in that field, or hobby, and want to spend your free time doing it. If it ends up being a lucrative side gig, all the better for it.

Consulting is a common one that most docs can do after a few years of experience and knowledge in their field. Expert witness is another possibility. Then there's always real estate, joining or forming a startup, etc.

Comment

You can have two jobs but it's not incredibly common for someone in medicine to have a side hustle that makes more money per hour than medicine.

Comment

I have always had a part-time job with hospital benefits and locums gigs which pay significantly more and provide write-offs and retirement options of 1099 employment. Although I dabble in residential rentals they are more for diversification than actual income at this time. Like others have said adding more hours as a physician is generally the most lucrative.

Comment

I once knew an orthopedist who did part time as a security guard at concert venues. That was interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by xraygoggles View Post
                    Sure, if you really have an interest in that field, or hobby, and want to spend your free time doing it. If it ends up being a lucrative side gig, all the better for it.

Consulting is a common one that most docs can do after a few years of experience and knowledge in their field. Expert witness is another possibility. Then there's always real estate, joining or forming a startup, etc.
                    This. 100%.
                    You could become a Senator and then run for President of the USA!
                    Some develop a skill and turn it into a money maker sufficient to pay the bills for a hobby.
                    Some become a venture capitalist on a small scale. Start up funding for acquaintances or family that wants to own a small business.
                    Some start out buying distressed businesses and have the skills to turn them around with partners.
                    Some develop real estate.
                    Some chose to use creative juices and patent devices.
                    Some write or teach.
                    Finally some decide to blog and turn it in to riches!
                    Time is money or time is life. Work/life choice usually means more medical work with your training.

Comment

Originally posted by burritos View Post
                      I once knew an orthopedist who did part time as a security guard at concert venues. That was interesting.
                      Lol sounds about right

Comment

I mean you posted this question on the website of the White Coat Investor so … I think it's possible.

Comment

I want a second job

Comment

I get two paychecks this way
                            The Simpsons (1989) - S04E20 Comedy clip with quote - I get two paychecks this way. - D'oh. Yarn is the best search for video clips by quote. Find the exact moment in a TV show, movie, or music video you want to share. Easily move forward or backward to get to the perfect clip.

Comment

Originally posted by Craigslist View Post
                              I want a second job
                              Same here. I'm trying to figure out how to make it work time wise with my current career.

Comment

Working...
                              X