Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacing a high end built-in refrigerator..........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ykcor View Post
    Our 30 year old Sub-Zero refrigerator went out. Even if I could get a replacement ($12K) will have to be ordered and will be 4-6 months before arrives. I can get a GE Monogram locally for $2-3K less and installed. Also can get a GE Cafe or Viking (but heard Viking refrigerator are not reliable). Anyone with any experience in owning GE refrigs? Sadly, looks like I will own a refrigerator that is a lot more valuable than the car that I drive every day.
    We have have one in our "luxury" apartment. Would never buy one.

Comment

What exactly does a $12,000 refrigerator do that a 1200 refrigerator does not.

Does it get colder? No that is just stupid.

Is it bigger? I guess that could be part of it but you could always just get a backup. And how much food do you really need in the house?

Does it offer a more consistent temperature? Do people have problems with this with regular refrigerators? I never have.

I get the fact that there is a big hole in your kitchen and the only thing that will fit it was one of these expensive guys. But what possesses people to get them in the first place?

Comment

Originally posted by Lordosis View Post

Is it bigger? I guess that could be part of it but you could always just get a backup. And how much food do you really need in the house?

Does it offer a more consistent temperature? Do people have problems with this with regular refrigerators? I never have.

I get the fact that there is a big hole in your kitchen and the only thing that will fit it was one of these expensive guys. But what possesses people to get them in the first place?
        The purported benefit is a smoother look as the sub-zero and other high end refrigerators stick out less. So called "built in" versus freestanding. Personally I don't think having the fridge sticking out a bit is so awful but in certain markets it may be unacceptable?

Comment

Originally posted by sleepysurf View Post

A bit off-topic, but it's apparently possible to buy this GE filter bypass, (carefully) remove the RFID tag, and tape it over the refrigerator sensor, so you can then use inexpensive generic filters... https://www.amazon.com/GENERAL-ELECT...ustomerReviews
          I have seen that trick. The mildly annoying downside is that the fridge will keep telling you the filter is expired because it is reading the old tag. I've not wanted to bother and have given in and bought the GE replacements (although I don't replace as often as recommended so I still deal with the annoying filter expired messages).

Comment

Look at any of the various car threads and you will find your answer.

Comment

12k wow. I miss the old days when things lasted and were built to last and to be repaired. I don’t need a fridge that communicates with my phone or tablet or that is programmed from facebook but i want it to get cold and stay cold and for a repair to be easy and simple.

Comment

Actually a SubZero (Thermador also) with dual compressors has advantages over the run of the mill refrigerator/freezer: No cross mixing of air circulation. Less work on each compressor, so the life of unit is longer. Mine lasted thirty years. If one side goes out you don't lose the food in both freezer and refrig.

It also looks better and helps resale of house. Plus, most importantly, it makes my wife happy and that makes me happy.

As for me, I will buy a Toyota rather than a Lexus or a Honda rather than a Acura but others will pay more for the luxury brand.

Comment

It allegedly keeps food fresher for longer because of the aforementioned dual compressors and some other features (you can google for articles that explain it). Is it possible to recoup the 12k through less food waste over the lifetime of your fridge? Seems unlikely but highly dependent on individual factors.

Comment

Originally posted by AR View Post

It allegedly keeps food fresher for longer because of the aforementioned dual compressors and some other features (you can google for articles that explain it). Is it possible to recoup the 12k through less food waste over the lifetime of your fridge? Seems unlikely but highly dependent on individual factors.
                    As long as it beeps when a kid leaves the door open.

Comment

Aesthetics
                      Size
                      Layout
                      https://www.reviewed.com/refrigerato...ors-under-1000
                      Reliability/engineering

There were several threads about home appliances. Counter depth (more expensive) vs standard (sticks out)? Why? More material and space in standard? No spec driven reason.
                      Built in vs counter depth? No spec driven reason.
                      Cubic feet of refrigerator and freezer matter.
                      Ice and water dispensers is preference.
                      Some have a built in camera!
                      Concensus was that all refrigerators manufactured now have engineered in obsolescence. Parts not designed and construction that will last as long or allow repairs. Basically an integrated assembly rather than replacing a failed component.
                      The digital displays seem cool, but seem useless.
                      Fact: ice cubes are the same in any freezer.
                      Fact: the mountain on the beer can is blue in any refrigerator.
                      I let my wife choose the aesthetics, but not for $12k. That is an awful lot of beer.

One former regular (EMD) used to boast about having SEVEN refrigerators! Spend as you wish.
                      A toast? I hear you should only toast with wine. I’ll drink to that. EMD got banned.
                      My thought is why buy a Rolls Royce for the chauffeur to drive.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post

One former regular (EMD) used to boast about having SEVEN refrigerators! Spend as you wish.
                        A toast? I hear you should only toast with wine. I’ll drink to that. EMD got banned.
                        My thought is why buy a Rolls Royce for the chauffeur to drive.
                        Not trying to defend EMD and seven seemed an ungodly number but one can accumulate them over time.

When I lived in an apartment I had one and was quite happy. We moved to a house, got a plain GE. Later we got a Kenmore side/side that worked great till one day 16 years later the water pipe broke where it was joining the fridge. The repair was about $200 or so. We did not want to leave that fridge there when we moved to our new home so we got a new one, and lugged those two along. We got two new ones for the new home from Costco. We also moved our chest freezer. To round it up we have now a wine cooler and a small fridge in our media room. I don't know how, but those fridges have mushroomed. And yet all are full after a party with a ton of leftovers.

Comment

Originally posted by Ykcor View Post

Actually a SubZero (Thermador also) with dual compressors has advantages over the run of the mill refrigerator/freezer: No cross mixing of air circulation. Less work on each compressor, so the life of unit is longer. Mine lasted thirty years. If one side goes out you don't lose the food in both freezer and refrig.

It also looks better and helps resale of house. Plus, most importantly, it makes my wife happy and that makes me happy.

As for me, I will buy a Toyota rather than a Lexus or a Honda rather than a Acura but others will pay more for the luxury brand.
                          While also anecdotal, the people I've known who have subzero refrigerators (n=3) have not experienced good reliability. Perhaps 30 years ago they were built to last? However, if your house is at a certain level that look may be expected when time to sell.

Comment

Compressors will fail. Ave ten years from my understanding. Less strain the better. The primary issue is opening and reopening the door for stress and thermo regulation. That kid sensor has been a lifesaver in all recent refrigerators
                            for the record our highest frig count was four in our household due to variety of reasons.

Comment

Built a new home 7 years ago and put in Sub Zero and Wolf appliances. Never again. Way to expensive and no improvement from less expensive brands in my opinion. In fact, there a few things that bug me about them. The ice cubes in the Sub Zero stick together, had service come out when brand new and he found an area in the freezer that didn't get insulated which he fixed. Didn't change the ice cubes. The Wolf microwave door is hard to open. Nothing big, but certainly not worth the huge price. If they last for 30 years I may change my opinion but I doubt it.

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma Knives View Post

While also anecdotal, the people I've known who have subzero refrigerators (n=3) have not experienced good reliability. Perhaps 30 years ago they were built to last? However, if your house is at a certain level that look may be expected when time to sell.
                                My impression is that kenmore or whatever refrigerators were similarly also built to last 30 years ago. No longer.

Comment

Working...
                                X