Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacing a high end built-in refrigerator..........

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Replacing a high end built-in refrigerator..........

    Our 30 year old Sub-Zero refrigerator went out. Even if I could get a replacement ($12K) will have to be ordered and will be 4-6 months before arrives. I can get a GE Monogram locally for $2-3K less and installed. Also can get a GE Cafe or Viking (but heard Viking refrigerator are not reliable). Anyone with any experience in owning GE refrigs? Sadly, looks like I will own a refrigerator that is a lot more valuable than the car that I drive every day.

  • #2
    Originally posted by Ykcor View Post
    Our 30 year old Sub-Zero refrigerator went out. Even if I could get a replacement ($12K) will have to be ordered and will be 4-6 months before arrives. I can get a GE Monogram locally for $2-3K less and installed. Also can get a GE Cafe or Viking (but heard Viking refrigerator are not reliable). Anyone with any experience in owning GE refrigs? Sadly, looks like I will own a refrigerator that is a lot more valuable than the car that I drive every day.
    just curious if you tried find anyone to repair it? my subzero is also 30+ years old. nobody in town will even look at it. it seems the business model now is replace with new ones that need service/replacement every couple years.

    Comment


    • #3
      Will another brand even fit the "hole" where your subzero was located. I bought a second one in my last house because nothing would fit.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Hatton View Post
        Will another brand even fit the "hole" where your subzero was located. I bought a second one in my last house because nothing would fit.
        Yes, a GE Cafe will fit the 48"x 83 1/2" x 24" hole

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by G View Post

          just curious if you tried find anyone to repair it? my subzero is also 30+ years old. nobody in town will even look at it. it seems the business model now is replace with new ones that need service/replacement every couple years.
          They will want to replace the compressor $1500 with 4-6 month back order. Can't see putting this much in a 30 yo refrig. Could put more Freon in it but we already had to throw out all the food in refrig and would hate to repeat.

          Comment


          • #6
            In that case get the GE. I have a subzero but I do not think they are that great. I have not heard vikings are not reliable. The only reason I would get a viking or subzero is resale down the road.

            Comment


            • #7
              I saw the $12K subzero at the place where we got our faucets and other bathroom fittings and to say I was not impressed would be putting it mildly.

              I went with a couple of refrigerators from Costco..I think Kenmore or Whirlpool. I think there were issues with LG and Samsung Fridges at that time. They cost $1500-1800 or so each and happy with the selection.

              Comment


              • #8
                I have a GE cafe fridge. It is 5 years old and the only complaint I have is the water filter has an RFID tag so you can't use the non-GE filter.

                Comment


                • #9
                  We ordered Bosch appliances in January. We've received two of four so far

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    We moved into a Bosch integrated system in may. Nice.

                    Had Samsung counter french doors previously. Good but not this nice ....but 9k differnece

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Our GE Cafe refrigerator was nice but it only lasted 6 years. We tried to fix it but gave up after 3 service calls. We bought an LG this time.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I’m not in the high end fridge game but if you’re planning on just replacing it I would buy one off Craigslist as a fill in and then just sell it when the new one came in. It’ll obviously look out of place but it’ll just be temporary.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Gamma Knives View Post
                          I have a GE cafe fridge. It is 5 years old and the only complaint I have is the water filter has an RFID tag so you can't use the non-GE filter.
                          A bit off-topic, but it's apparently possible to buy this GE filter bypass, (carefully) remove the RFID tag, and tape it over the refrigerator sensor, so you can then use inexpensive generic filters... https://www.amazon.com/GENERAL-ELECT...ustomerReviews

                          Fortunately, our 8 yr old GE Cafe refrigerator does not require the RFID filters. However, the refrigerator reliability has been mixed. The fan assembly malfunctioned right after the warranty ran out, and 3 years later sounds like it's about to fail again.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            We like the subzero we have. That and thermador are the only ones with separate compressors for refrigerator/freezer from what I recall. Monogram is basically the look and name, but nothing different mechanically from cafe or even profile series.

                            We went from whatever apartment (whirlpool) refrigerator to the subzero. It's a noticeable difference in quality of produce over time. I'm not sure if there is noticeable difference between mid range GE, whirlpool/kitchenaid, or even samsung.

                            I vote for cheaper new/used refrigerator and the getting the subzero when available.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Brains428 View Post
                              We like the subzero we have. That and thermador are the only ones with separate compressors for refrigerator/freezer from what I recall. Monogram is basically the look and name, but nothing different mechanically from cafe or even profile series.

                              We went from whatever apartment (whirlpool) refrigerator to the subzero. It's a noticeable difference in quality of produce over time. I'm not sure if there is noticeable difference between mid range GE, whirlpool/kitchenaid, or even samsung.

                              I vote for cheaper new/used refrigerator and the getting the subzero when available.
                              Thanks all. I going to get a replacement SubZero. The local appliance is going to give us a "loaner" refrig until the replacement comes in.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X