Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New car buying and finding what others paid

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by cvsvm2007 View Post

    Thanks for the reply. The Truecar quotes I got just had a manufacturer rebate. Prices from all dealers were comparable. Did they quote a significant discount in the deal off MSRP?
    We bought the car in 2/2020 right before the lockdown so the market is probably very different now. But yes, with truecar, everyone gave me a price a few thousand less than msrp. Ended up purchasing from a dealer a littler further away, but got $5k below a minivan that was originally $35k msrp. Bought it in cash in true WCI fashion. Hopefully it’s the car my 3yo can learn to drive in someday.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by ObgynMD View Post

      We bought the car in 2/2020 right before the lockdown so the market is probably very different now. But yes, with truecar, everyone gave me a price a few thousand less than msrp. Ended up purchasing from a dealer a littler further away, but got $5k below a minivan that was originally $35k msrp. Bought it in cash in true WCI fashion. Hopefully it’s the car my 3yo can learn to drive in someday.
      As of now, all the quotes I am receiving are only few hundred dollars difference. Looks like, your timing was perfect.

      Thanks to everyone for the responses.
      Last edited by cvsvm2007; 07-31-2021, 04:08 PM.

      Comment


      • #18
        I found this helpful when buying a car: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0S9cQOPxzfg

        Comment


        • #19
          Basically I wouldn’t disclose if you are paying cash, no one cares, and if anything makes you less desirable as a customer

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by PHANTASOS View Post
            I have now found that I want to trade in the 6 year old vehicle and get a new one. I haven’t figured out how to trade in a vehicle without getting hosed. There is no way to maintain your advantage when trading in a vehicle - at least not that I have figured out.
            One of the keys is to not tell them about the trade until you get the lowest price of the car set in stone. Then it's nearly impossible for them to manipulate the numbers on the trade-in because you already know the true (lowest) price of the car.

            And, as others have said, don't tell them you're paying cash. Heck, if anything, take the extra perk/incentive for financing through the dealer and then pay the loan off after a month if you want.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by childay View Post
              Right. Who would have thought there are car enthusiasts for nissan versas or something? But there probably is a forum full of them..
              https://www.nissanversaforums.com/forums/

              The main forum has 24k posts. Rivals WCI in size. Gotta love the internet.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by cvsvm2007 View Post
                Friends,

                This is my first post and I am excited to find this group. I came across a great interview with Ben and I would have listened to few times. Thanks for all the info. This is a treasure.

                I am looking to buy a new car and this is not a good market to be a buyer. I spent sometime on the Internet trying to find what others paid and I am unable to find a good source. I tried KBB, Edmunds ..etc... Have any of you come across any sites or apps where users share how much they paid for a car. If so, can you please share the links?

                Thanks
                How comfortable are you negotiating with dealers? If you're good then use those sites like truecar or edmunds as a guide. You can do better than those sites. I bought two cars, one in April and another in June, both for way less than msrp. The ones paying msrp or more don't know how to negotiate.

                Comment


                • #23
                  oh and never go to the dealership. Always do your bidding online. I typically give three color choices and two interior choices with very specific options like roof rack. Tell them what model and trim you want and options. Many will respond to you then ask for their best price (it won't be) but be firm and counter with a fair offer, usually $500 over invoice. Don't forget dealer holdback and rebates you may never know about. As long as you don't need the car tomorrow keep searching for the price you want, as it can take a few weeks. End of month, quarter or my favorite end of year are great times to buy.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by LabralTerror View Post
                    And, as others have said, don't tell them you're paying cash. Heck, if anything, take the extra perk/incentive for financing through the dealer and then pay the loan off after a month if you want.
                    That's what we did when we had to replace my wife's car after she hit a deer. Got the discount for financing through the dealership, paid off the loan in full the next day. Total time on the loan was less than 24h.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Sigrid View Post

                      That's what we did when we had to replace my wife's car after she hit a deer. Got the discount for financing through the dealership, paid off the loan in full the next day. Total time on the loan was less than 24h.
                      It's the way to do it... I am still dismayed at how many people think having "cash" is what the dealer wants to hear.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X