No announcement yet.

How do you guys spend sub 700$ on food

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

doordash and uber eats gets expensive fast. You turn a 10 dollar chipotle meal into like 23 bucks by the time you go through the 3 different fees and tip. Obviously there is a price to convenience.

Comment

I could spend sub $100 on food every month if I just wanted to eat free garbage at the hospital all day long. But I decided that looking like the Michelin Man isn't really worth a cheaper grocery bill.

I have no idea what I spend on groceries. I buy most stuff at Wal-Mart, and unless I wanted to go through my receipts line by line I'm not sure how I'd figure it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaphod View Post

This has been most people all year as you couldnt eat out, and lots have never done expensive delivery apps. Always been us.

Grocery costs have skyrocketed in last year, but still wasnt able to have these crazy low prices people put up.

I will literally, and quite gladly eat leftovers for days, in fact I routinely get 'in trouble' for eating what was supposed to be dinner again at lunch (what can I say it looked good).

We are in no way snobby about stuff, yes we like fresh and use veggies which is expensive, but like i almost never use glass plates, so it aint fancy thats the issue.

Maybe something to do with family sizes but...still, couldnt feed us for 2 weeks on some of these budgets.

Half of me thinks people arent paying as close attention as they think and have a guesstimate thats wildly off. Otherwise I'd like to shop at your stores.

Typical average everyday lunch if I dont sneak leftovers is just pb/j and two apples. Our family apple habit is kind of expensive by itself.

Maybe if you just ate garbage and crap, but fresh vegetables/fruit, and some good food are quite expensive. We usually grate our own cheese even, and its not expensive it just lacks sawdust.
        We do lots of fresh fruits and vegetables as well but Sprouts almost always has good deals on those. We mainly shop at Aldi, Wal-Mart, and other local grocery stores depending on the sales in addition to some stuff at Costco. The $5 rotisserie chickens at Costco go a long ways. Getting 20lbs of beef when it goes on sale for $1.99/lb also goes a long ways.

My shift times are all over the place but if it's around lunch or dinner then I'll usually just grab something at the hospital. My breakfasts at home center around eggs which are very cheap. I will usually eat a protein bar and shake or some Greek yogurt for lunch at home and then my wife will either cook dinner or we'll eat leftovers from previous dinners. My wife typically doesn't eat breakfast on her work days and will meal prep salads topped with hard boiled eggs or Costco chicken to take into work with her. Fresh foods aren't cheap but they aren't breaking the budget.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaphod View Post

This has been most people all year as you couldnt eat out, and lots have never done expensive delivery apps. Always been us.

Grocery costs have skyrocketed in last year, but still wasnt able to have these crazy low prices people put up.

I will literally, and quite gladly eat leftovers for days, in fact I routinely get 'in trouble' for eating what was supposed to be dinner again at lunch (what can I say it looked good).

We are in no way snobby about stuff, yes we like fresh and use veggies which is expensive, but like i almost never use glass plates, so it aint fancy thats the issue.

Maybe something to do with family sizes but...still, couldnt feed us for 2 weeks on some of these budgets.

Half of me thinks people arent paying as close attention as they think and have a guesstimate thats wildly off. Otherwise I'd like to shop at your stores.

Typical average everyday lunch if I dont sneak leftovers is just pb/j and two apples. Our family apple habit is kind of expensive by itself.

Maybe if you just ate garbage and crap, but fresh vegetables/fruit, and some good food are quite expensive. We usually grate our own cheese even, and its not expensive it just lacks sawdust.
          Maybe it is area of the country. We get our fruits/veggies almost exclusively at Aldi. Our goal is a fruit/veggie for all family members at least with 2 meals of the day. In an average week, I get the following:

6 heads of broccoli
          3 salad kits (my splurge, I like being able to dump the ingredients and eat quickly)
          3 5 pound bags of apples
          1 pineapple
          mandarins or strawberries (depends on what's on sale)
          several bags of carrots
          2-3 English cucumbers
          2 3-packs of bell peppers
          onions
          2-3 packs of cilantro
          fresh basil
          2 packs of spinach
          fresh garlic
          sometimes cherry tomatoes
          2 3-lb bags of frozen fruit (for smoothies)
          1-2 bunches of bananas

I bring my large blue IKEA bags to Aldi for packing, and our fruits and veggies make up half of our groceries. The only time our bill at Aldi is over $100 is if we have to get TP/laundry detergent/cleaning stuff.

Again, maybe it's our part of the country. However, when we shopped at another Aldi when we were living in a VHCOL area for 3 years, our prices were very similar. Only person I know who gets better deals is my dad, but he shops sales and will go to multiple stores to get the best deals. I'm too lazy for that.

Comment

My wife and I have been doing those meal prep subscriptions that send you the ingredients and recipes (example: Hello Fresh). I think it comes out to like ~$8 per person per meal. I feel like we have all of the recipes down at this point. Would you recommend we just switch to buying groceries from the store at this point?

Comment

Originally posted by NumberWhizMD View Post

Maybe it is area of the country. We get our fruits/veggies almost exclusively at Aldi. Our goal is a fruit/veggie for all family members at least with 2 meals of the day. In an average week, I get the following:

6 heads of broccoli
              3 salad kits (my splurge, I like being able to dump the ingredients and eat quickly)
              3 5 pound bags of apples
              1 pineapple
              mandarins or strawberries (depends on what's on sale)
              several bags of carrots
              2-3 English cucumbers
              2 3-packs of bell peppers
              onions
              2-3 packs of cilantro
              fresh basil
              2 packs of spinach
              fresh garlic
              sometimes cherry tomatoes
              2 3-lb bags of frozen fruit (for smoothies)
              1-2 bunches of bananas

I bring my large blue IKEA bags to Aldi for packing, and our fruits and veggies make up half of our groceries. The only time our bill at Aldi is over $100 is if we have to get TP/laundry detergent/cleaning stuff.

Again, maybe it's our part of the country. However, when we shopped at another Aldi when we were living in a VHCOL area for 3 years, our prices were very similar. Only person I know who gets better deals is my dad, but he shops sales and will go to multiple stores to get the best deals. I'm too lazy for that.
              I wish Aldi would set up shop over here. I go to multiple different stores because the produce at Wal Mart is pretty disgusting. I feel like I'm getting ripped off.

Your family must be pretty healthy but if I lived with you I might starve to death. I'm usually just putting give fruits and veggies in a smoothie and calling it a day.

Comment

Originally posted by Lithium View Post

I have no idea what I spend on groceries. I buy most stuff at Wal-Mart, and unless I wanted to go through my receipts line by line I'm not sure how I'd figure it out.
                Was going to post exact same. No clue. Don't think the grocery bill is going to move the needle much at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by Lithium View Post

I wish Aldi would set up shop over here. I go to multiple different stores because the produce at Wal Mart is pretty disgusting. I feel like I'm getting ripped off.

Your family must be pretty healthy but if I lived with you I might starve to death. I'm usually just putting give fruits and veggies in a smoothie and calling it a day.
                  Yeah, Aldi is the best. I refuse to live anywhere without it.

We are pretty healthy. But don't worry...I'm also a pizza connoisseur. Christmas present this year was a pizza oven, and I regularly make pizza at least once weekly. Hubby splurges on bacon/sausage/steak from time to time. I've also mastered homemade pasta and love to bake (cookies, breads, cakes/cupcakes)!

It's all about balance. Lots of good to make up for some of the bad!

Comment

Originally posted by NumberWhizMD View Post

Yeah, Aldi is the best. I refuse to live anywhere without it.

We are pretty healthy. But don't worry...I'm also a pizza connoisseur. Christmas present this year was a pizza oven, and I regularly make pizza at least once weekly. Hubby splurges on bacon/sausage/steak from time to time. I've also mastered homemade pasta and love to bake (cookies, breads, cakes/cupcakes)!

It's all about balance. Lots of good to make up for some of the bad!
                    What sort of pizza oven?

Comment

Originally posted by BrownsFan2021 View Post
                      My wife and I have been doing those meal prep subscriptions that send you the ingredients and recipes (example: Hello Fresh). I think it comes out to like ~$8 per person per meal. I feel like we have all of the recipes down at this point. Would you recommend we just switch to buying groceries from the store at this point?
                      We do home chef. I suggested just buying and copying the meals but my wife likes the variety and not having to put much thought into dinner 3x a week. It is more expensive but we are paying for convenience. And if it makes her happy I am all about it.

She goes to Aldi for some things. Berries I think. We have Wegmans in this area and they rock as a grocery store and most of our food is their store brand stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by childay View Post

What sort of pizza oven?
                        Ooni pro. Ideally I'd love an outdoor kitchen with a brick oven. But I'm not 100% convinced this is our "forever" home and I like that the Ooni can move with us.

Pizza quality is excellent. I have a few recipes I prefer in the oven, but really delicious, quick pies in the Ooni!

Comment

Geez. We spend like 1800/mo. We like to eat out and I like beer.

Comment

I have never calculated the total amount that I spend on food every month, I just know that I almost never leave costco with a bill less then $200 and I go there once a week. That's in addition to weekly grocery store trips and eating in the hospital cafeteria or subway for work lunches. And we get carry out once a week (haven't been eating out due to the pandemic). That's for a family of four. I don't mind spending more on food. Foods such as fruits and seafoods cost more then if you were to eat burgers and fries everyday. Besides the health benefits, I think that it eating well does improve your quality of life so I don't mind spending more on it.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxPower View Post
                              We don’t, as a family of 5, stay under $700 a month (not sure if that is an arbitrary number or if I missed something somewhere about that being a key metric). We hardly ever eat out, but we eat well at home.

We had this discussion before on this forum (a certain pig poster was incredulous that people would actually pay to buy Iberico ham and anything other than Kraft singles for cheese, for example), but some people eat to live and some people live to eat, so to speak. I could never eat beans and rice or beef and rice for every meal every day, especially now as an attending. That isn’t to say we eat king crab and prime rib every night, but we do eat those things at times.

We buy 90% of our food at Costco, and buy in bulk. We have two freezers and buy butchered pork or beef when we can ($3/pound for grass fed Texas longhorn beef) to supplement our meat purchases when available. We also eat a lot of fresh vegetables and fruits which are pricier than their canned counterparts. If we had to eat canned veggies we probably wouldn’t.

We incorporate rice with a meal or two per week, which helps stretch the food budget, but clearly rice doesn’t go with every meal. We also have a few pasta dishes that we make with some regularity and aren’t expensive.

For lunch I usually take leftovers. Lots of meals are better a day or two after you make them, and it’s nice being able to just grab something from the fridge in the way out the door rather than having to make something in the morning when I’m scrambling to get out the door.

Edit: oh yeah, we have two teenagers and an almost teenager, so they are constantly eating when they are home.
                              Where in this country do you find $3/pound grass fed beef? (I’m assuming Texas based on your comment) In my state, it’s $5.99/pound…

Comment

When I first saw the title of the thread, I thought that the OP meant on a single meal, and I was going to post about...and then I quickly clammed up.

Comment

Working...
                                X