Prenup or no prenup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prenup or no prenup?

In Cali. Will be getting married in near future. Recently out of training. I make ~400k, SO makes ~200k (non medical field). I have 300k in loans, SO has 0 debt and as a result SO currently has a higher net worth than me Isn't a prenup designed to protect assets prior to marriage? As I understand it, a prenup doesn't stop assets DURING marriage from being divided in half does it? Would it even make sense to look into getting a prenup?

No

Comment

Yes.

Comment

Maybe. Are either of you Walton heirs or descendants of the Kennedy’s or Rockefeller’s?

Comment

You both are relatively highly paid...if she invests right now, you both may be equal in assets in 10 years when you divorce.

Comment

Originally posted by Craigslist View Post
            You both are relatively highly paid...if she invests right now, you both may be equal in assets in 10 years if you divorce.
            Corrected.

Comment

1-No.
              2-Yes.
              3-Maybe.
              4-Snarky answer.

Got to love on line forums. You get what you pay for I guess...

I vote no. I agree with you that unless there is a large mismatch of assets prior to marriage I do not see the point.

Comment

i don't see why you need a prenup based on what you wrote

Comment

Prenup is for pre marriage assets. You both basically have none.

Comment

Assuming you are both young, then you'd be a fool to suggest a pre-nup. If spouse is pulling $200k at a young age, then their upside potential is probably a lot higher than yours.

Comment

Originally posted by Lordosis View Post
                      1-No.
                      2-Yes.
                      3-Maybe.
                      4-Snarky answer.

Got to love on line forums. You get what you pay for I guess...

I vote no. I agree with you that unless there is a large mismatch of assets prior to marriage I do not see the point.
                      Poll! Poll! Poll!

Comment

Maybe I’m old fashioned... I’ve never liked the idea of prenups. It says to me “let’s prepare for when we get divorced, I want to make sure I’ve got a clean break and get my money’s worth”.

Comment

Originally posted by Molar Mechanic View Post
                          Assuming you are both young, then you'd be a fool to suggest a pre-nup. If spouse is pulling $200k at a young age, then their upside potential is probably a lot higher than yours.
                          Maybe the spouse is the one wanting the prenup.

Comment

Worth discussing if for no other reason to get it out of the way. I mentioned it to my then fiance as she was finishing dental school as I still had training time left. I just threw it out there as "look, we will both make great money, but there's a lot of divorce in my family so it's worth discussing." we briefly thought it through and both said no to it.

Doesn't sound like you need one based on info provided. Good luck

Comment

Yes- mostly to protect against indefinite spousal support. This can be written in both directions. Child support can't be written in (and that's a good thing).

But, the most important thing to do is ask a lawyer about how enforceable they are in your state. The more complex, the more chances you have for it to be thrown out.

I view a pre-nup as a way to protect against late divorce (which is more likely to ruin a physician financially than anything else).

If nothing else- I think it might be good to go through the motions of at least discussing assets, liabilities, and financial goals with your partner as if you were getting a pre-nup just to get those conversations going.

Comment

Working...
                              X