My Next Financial goals: $1M

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Next Financial goals: $1M

The nice thing about achieving goals is choosing new ones to attain.

My next financial goals [these are more long term than my prior]: giving away $1M, and $1M in retirement accounts.

I looked back at old goals [milestones] and goals always seem distant and large before you achieve them and ho-hum afterwards.

Quick summary:
    net worth of zero about five years ago
    net worth of $1M about 3 years ago [some loans/debt came off]
    $1M in investments+retirement accounts about 4 months ago

Even though I max out retirement contributions, I don’t project reaching my goal for another 10 years [I do mega back door Roth with my 1099 income but it is not large enough to max out the $56k ceiling].

For me, setting new goals doesn’t have to do with a course change or a correction to my plan just a new milestone to look forward to.

Originally posted by runfast00 View Post
    The nice thing about achieving goals is choosing new ones to attain.

My next financial goals [these are more long term than my prior]: giving away $1M, and $1M in retirement accounts.

I looked back at old goals [milestones] and goals always seem distant and large before you achieve them and ho-hum afterwards.

Quick summary:
    net worth of zero about five years ago
    net worth of $1M about 3 years ago [some loans/debt came off]
    $1M in investments+retirement accounts about 4 months ago

Even though I max out retirement contributions, I don’t project reaching my goal for another 10 years [I do mega back door Roth with my 1099 income but it is not large enough to max out the $56k ceiling].

For me, setting new goals doesn’t have to do with a course change or a correction to my plan just a new milestone to look forward to.
    you became a millionaire in 2 years? i mean, congrats but whats hard about these goals then?

Comment

It's probably just me but I would probably wait until I had $1M in my retirement accounts before I gave away $1M.

Comment

Peds. You are correct. I made a timeline error

***corrected
        net worth zero 10 years ago
        5 years ago medical school loan forgiveness completed
        Net worth 5 years ago 400k

Comment

IMO It's way better to have 1M in taxable first rather than focus on 1M retirement first.

Both are good of course, but having a large taxable account gives you so much more freedom and peace of mind, since you are able to tap into it literally any time you want or need it.

Comment

Working...
          X