Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not Another Tipping Thread - Default Tip Amounts at Restaurants

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by MPMD View Post

    if there were good data available i would go to the mat with you on this but i doubt there are.

    i am going to guess that 6 figures for a waiter is vanishingly rare and probably happens more on a fluctuating basis to individuals with some luck involved.

    was poking around at info on chicago's 3 star spot, nothing to suggest waiters are making $100k and lots to suggest they work 65 hours/week.

    if this happens i bet it is more at established steakhouses that cater to biz groups that order tons of booze.

    if you break it down as a $100k salary working 48 weeks/year, and 5 days/week, then it’s around $416/day to earn.

    We were at a large family dinner, one night, and the bill came to close to $1000. The tip was $250. This same waiter was serving multiple groups at the same time. Of course, not every one had the same bill/tip amount. We were there for 2-2.5 hours. He said they stayed busy like this all week, and he was providing top both his wait service from the time he arrived until they closed. Even thought the tips were split among staff, you can see how this money would add up really quickly. Yes, this is not the norm, but it’s still darn good money

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by Lordosis View Post
      Now that I think about it places that were all or mostly take out last year did not have tipping so in your face as they do now. But I guess if other places are able to collect tips for takeout why not the prior take out places?

      So who is tipping at fast food? Is there really a difference?
      I used to work at baskin robbins and cold stone creamery. I appreciated tips then, and always tip at ice cream places now. Not quite fast food, but in the same realm I guess. $1 isn't going to change my life, but it makes their day certainly.

      I remember one night when closing someone came through the drive through right as we closed the register. I told them that we couldn't take any orders or give change and they said they didn't need change and just wanted a milk shake. So we made the milk shake and split the $5 between the 2 of us still there. It's amazing how much $5 was to us back then thinking about it. I also realize in retrospect this seems like stealing from the business, but we always got a free item per shift so we just sold our free item. High schoolers going to high school.

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by Nysoz View Post

        I used to work at baskin robbins and cold stone creamery. I appreciated tips then, and always tip at ice cream places now. Not quite fast food, but in the same realm I guess. $1 isn't going to change my life, but it makes their day certainly.

        I remember one night when closing someone came through the drive through right as we closed the register. I told them that we couldn't take any orders or give change and they said they didn't need change and just wanted a milk shake. So we made the milk shake and split the $5 between the 2 of us still there. It's amazing how much $5 was to us back then thinking about it. I also realize in retrospect this seems like stealing from the business, but we always got a free item per shift so we just sold our free item. High schoolers going to high school.
        Now that I think about it isn't it strange that we tip for ice cream but not McDonalds? I would not say there is the "compulsory" 20% but most places have a jar and more are automatically asking with the CC purchases.

        Comment


        • #49
          I was traveling recently and was craving a steak. As much as I loved the restaurant and hope they don't go out of business, I was particularly miffed that not only did they $70 for steak served in a cardboard box to eat in the hotel with plastic utensils, they also charged an 18% service fee on top of that. You are already paying for the ambience in addition to the steak when you go to the restaurant. There is no ambience with a steak in a cardboard box nor should is there any service warranting tipping.

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by wcinewbie View Post
            I was traveling recently and was craving a steak. As much as I loved the restaurant and hope they don't go out of business, I was particularly miffed that not only did they $70 for steak served in a cardboard box to eat in the hotel with plastic utensils, they also charged an 18% service fee on top of that. You are already paying for the ambience in addition to the steak when you go to the restaurant. There is no ambience with a steak in a cardboard box nor should is there any service warranting tipping.
            A $70 steak?!? Didn't you see the price before you ordered? Were you in Tokyo?
            Our passion is protecting clients and others from predatory and ignorant advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by jfoxcpacfp View Post

              A $70 steak?!? Didn't you see the price before you ordered? Were you in Tokyo?
              $53 prime ribeye + 22% service charge + taxes. I would have been fine with outback steakhouse but no outback there.

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by wcinewbie View Post

                $53 prime ribeye + 22% service charge + taxes. I would have been fine with outback steakhouse but no outback there.
                Well, it does look good, just not $70 good.
                Our passion is protecting clients and others from predatory and ignorant advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by VagabondMD View Post
                  Since COVID, we have been ordering more carryout and tipping as if we were dining at the restaurant (18-25%). We want the restaurants and their staff to survive and are doing our part. Some restaurant have started to add an automatic 18% or 20%, and I am okay with it. Post-pandemic, we will all be reevaluating dining out and how we pay for restaurant service.
                  My thought is that once the tiger has tasted human blood, it starts to enjoy and continue the easy kill. I bet you will start to see the automatic 18-20% tip on carryout being continued well post epidemic. Why give up cheap easy money. I bet the majority of customers will not notice or protest at the surcharge. Who wants to look like a cheapie disputing that charge.


                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by jfoxcpacfp View Post

                    A $70 steak?!? Didn't you see the price before you ordered? Were you in Tokyo?
                    I found prices for upscale dining much more reasonable in Tokyo than for comparable meals in the US. Plus, better service by far with no tipping.

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by Kamban View Post

                      My thought is that once the tiger has tasted human blood, it starts to enjoy and continue the easy kill. I bet you will start to see the automatic 18-20% tip on carryout being continued well post epidemic. Why give up cheap easy money. I bet the majority of customers will not notice or protest at the surcharge. Who wants to look like a cheapie disputing that charge.

                      You obviously never lived in nyc or long island. Lol. My grandfather would add up every bill looking for a fight until the day he died.

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Went to Ireland last year, the dining experience was much more enjoyable. I am not sure how the waiter/waitress got paid, but it wasn't from tips. Service was good , everyone was pleasant. Maybe we should have socialized dining here.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Random1, same here. We've been to Europe and Australia. Enjoyed the dining experience so much more than in the US. Service was also great, even though there was no expectation of a 20-30% tip.

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Takeout: No tip unless it is a family run business that I frequent regularly. Although I have been giving more during COVID.
                            Sit down: 20% pre-tax for good service. 15% for OK service and 10% for poor service.

                            Biggest pet peeve: I get a Square (or similar device) flipped over with options starting at 20% and going up +30% and the employee stares at me while I decide.

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              10% if service sucks, 20% if it doesn't.

                              Never even thought to tip for carryout.

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                We've been cooking way more since COVID hit. I'll do 10% on takeout, but we have only been getting takeout from mom and pop restaurants. I go 20% on pretax and have a very high threshold before I go lower. As a former bus boy, I'm tolerant of the kitchen getting behind or an understaffed server.

                                The square tips are kind of annoying. Only non-restaurant I see them is a local bakery. We buy treats for our office staff there, and I legit don't mind dropping 10% or $2 to anyone working there.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X