Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ethical question: Water bill has been zero for many months, what should I do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ethical question: Water bill has been zero for many months, what should I do?

There was a ransomware attack on the water company which they say is now resolved, my statement has shown 0 gallons used starting 3 weeks before the attack was announced and continues after (no I am not the one responsible for the ransomware).
    It would have been nice if this happened before refilling my 30000 gallon pool.
    Call and let the water company know my water meter must be broken.
    70.00%
    Enjoy the water and assume it is related to the ransomware attack.
    30.00%

Take care of it now. At some point they'll figure it out and then go back and 'guess' what your water bill would have been which likely won't be in your favor.

Comment

What does your meter say? It’s not hard for the water company to go back and check your meter reading to figure out your water consumption.

Comment

You really need to ask this question? Come on, you know what to do.

Comment

They physically come and look at the meter and record the same number every month, I’ve not looked at it though

Comment

It seems like less of an ethical question than a financial question. Do you want to pay now for what has been un-billed so far, or pay much more later once the water utility has sorted it out?

Comment

How much does this tend to run in your area? In the few places I have lived it has always been very minor compared to the other utilities.

If it were comcast I would say screw them and enjoy the free period!

Comment

The same thing happened about 10 years ago (0 gallons used) they came after 2 months to replace meter without me notifying them and no retroactive payment due.

Comment

You are at the store and they forget to ring something up. Do you point it out or accept their error?

Comment

Originally posted by Lordosis View Post
                    You are at the store and they forget to ring something up. Do you point it out or accept their error?
                    Um....yeah. knowingly taking something without paying for it has a word in english. I believe it's called stealing, isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by wawot1 View Post

Um....yeah. knowingly taking something without paying for it has a word in english. I believe it's called stealing, isn't it?
                      At most you are an accomplice

Comment

Originally posted by Lordosis View Post

At most you are an accomplice
                        Nope. Knowingly taking something without paying is stealing. Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by wawot1 View Post

Nope. Knowingly taking something without paying is stealing. Sorry.
                          I cannot argue with that statement.

Pay your water bill

Comment

It's nice to get free stuff and feel like youre 'winning' every once in a while, but only when it is deserved. when you feel like youre getting away with something you shouldn't be, at some point, whether now or later, the guilt/regret will not be worth it.

Comment

uhhh....call. be a good person.

Comment

Working...
                              X