No announcement yet.

Practicing where the money is...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We chose the place we'd like to live, with the job we'd both enjoy for the long term. Salary was a much lower priority. In fact, we turned down jobs paying 2/3's more, because we didn't want to live in said location.

Comment

—As the kids are getting older, we do worry about whether we are stunting their development in any way by living in such a different environment from where we both grew up (SF for me, NYC for him)—

No, you’re not stunting their development. If anything, you are enriching it.  Take that from someone who grew up as a farmer’s kid (my high school graduating class had 17), trained for 6 years in a large East Coast city, and am now practicing in a city of 250k.

—As the kids are getting older, we do worry about whether we are stunting their development in any way by living in such a different environment from where we both grew up (SF for me, NYC for him)— 
      Click to expand…

Yeah, you’d hate for them to grow up with any narrow-minded misconceptions about the rest of the nation / world.  ?

If you want them to be open-minded with a sensible worldview, you can live anywhere and travel everywhere. That’s our plan.

Cheers!

-PoF

You should tell my husband

People who grew up in / love New York City are a very unique group as I've learned. There is no place on Earth that can compare apparently

Comment

So your idea is really a TRAP!!  Practice where you want to be and where your spouse wants to be long term.  Thinking you'll go some place for the money and then jet is short sighted.  First since you are in a high paying specialty it means that you are in a rare specialty.  That means you'll probably be hospital based/dependent and you can't just hang your own shingle if things don't go your way.  Right now there may be a lot of jobs out there but in three years if the markets crash or other financial mayhem occurs, those jobs are going to dry up b/c people aren't going to retire or risk moving.   Then what are you going to do- turn your back on your known income and go do locums.  Or move to suburbia and take a 6 figure paycut while increasing your cost of living.

And if you think you can just move into a little hospital and its going to work like it did for you in training-big mistake.  THere are layers of personal relationships, politics, referral patterns, community expectations etc.    Do you think a 4 man anesthesia group has an HR dept for you to complain to if the older partners decide to only take 1/2 of the Saturday call they said they would when they hired you.  Going to go to the admin who is married to this senior partners 2nd cousin and complain.  Dream on.  Oh and then what happens if you have kids and your spouse is like..the money is fine but I miss my folks, nice restaurants, good schools, my mom wants to see the kids more often, why don't they have a Nordstroms less than an hour away, or if someone in you family gets ill and needs help but they are 10 hrs away.  And if you go for a partnership track, you are planning on walking away from that and vested money in a pension and profit sharing to start at the bottom making less and having a higher cost of living?

Bottom line live and practice where you think that you will be most happy.

Comment

And still I live in a major metro area with a reasonable cost of living and a mild climate and have access to one of the hottest cities in the country 20 minutes from my doorstep. We have great schools and a great social life, a major international airport, diverse entertainment including professional sports and the best restaurants.

I think the area is beautiful but isn't it known to rain 365 days a year ? I don't like that much rain. 

Comment

I moved to a rural area in a flyover state after training in fm at a big academic center. I make substantially more than the place I trained at offered me to stay on as an attending (and that job was contingent with me doing a fellowship). I also qualified for a significant amount of loan repayment (90K) and got great benefits and an excellent 401K match.

It was easier for me to pull that off because Im from the boonies anyways and I was single and have no kids... But now Im probably here forever because I met my current gf at my job and she's not going anywhere.

So it worked out for me.

Comment

Life can be short. Move where you will be happy, if you spend and invest wisely you will be fine financially. If someone moves to a rural place but needs to travel 10x per year because they're "bored" vs moving to a place you love but taking two vacations, it's a financial wash anyway. Never put money as your number one reason to take a job, even for the expected "short term" which can turn into long term.

Comment

And still I live in a major metro area with a reasonable cost of living and a mild climate and have access to one of the hottest cities in the country 20 minutes from my doorstep. We have great schools and a great social life, a major international airport, diverse entertainment including professional sports and the best restaurants. 
                Click to expand…

I think the area is beautiful but isn’t it known to rain 365 days a year ? I don’t like that much rain. ?

don't exaggerate. We've only had 145 days of rain this year. Oops. That's 145 days in the water year, which began October 1. Counting today and tomorrow and Sunday, when it will rain again, it will be 148 days in 182. Yeah, it's been a wet winter. Ready for some sun. Two weeks ago we had 2 days without measurable rain and temps over 60 degrees for the first time in seven months.

Comment

Click to expand…

Yeah, you’d hate for them to grow up with any narrow-minded misconceptions about the rest of the nation / world.

If you want them to be open-minded with a sensible worldview, you can live anywhere and travel everywhere. That’s our plan.

Cheers!

-PoF

FYI, the first line there is me quoting someone else (as I did not know how to do that officially, but now do)

Yes, no one wants their kids growing up with narrow-minded misconceptions about the rest of the world. And that, of course, happens in large urban areas as well. It's not just rural.

Comment

Click to expand…

Yeah, you’d hate for them to grow up with any narrow-minded misconceptions about the rest of the nation / world.

Cheers!

-PoF
                    Click to expand…

FYI, the first line there is me quoting someone else (as I did not know how to do that officially, but now do)

Yes, no one wants their kids growing up with narrow-minded misconceptions about the rest of the world. And that, of course, happens in large urban areas as well. It’s not just rural.

How New Yorkers see the world: http://brilliantmaps.com/new-yorkers-world/. :-)
                    Erstwhile Dance Theatre of Dayton performer cum bellhop. Carried (many) bags for a lovely and gracious 59 yo Cyd Charisse. (RIP) Hosted epic company parties after Friday night rehearsals.

Comment

I would move to a semi rural place to make more money and pay off the loans, live like a resident/fellow, and work/bank as much as possible for 2-3 years....having a good financial start is awesome and the medical experience is very good too.

Comment

No aspect of your life will freeze in place if you do this. Friendships take maintenance and work. Connections are made where you are, not where you eventually plan to be. I wouldn't entertain the fantasy that you're just sacrificing a few years to make the rest of your life categorically better. I've entertained the possibility of living where I ultimately want to be and flying out 2 weeks a month to the boonies for hospitalist type work for a few years. Splitting the difference in some respects. 100% true that the prospect of partnership makes this more of a questionable decision financially.

Comment

Working...
                        X