Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miss Bonnie MD
    replied

My commute is terrible – in the name of cheap rent (for NYC that is). Not sustainable tho for me and will need to figure something out – either get more days closer to home (we have satellite clinics) or get a new job closer to home. I’ve been doing it for 6 months now and reaching my limits.

My commute is 1-1.5 hrs each way (driving). Usually 1 hr there, 1 hr back, can be 1.5-2 hrs home when it is bad. Note this is only 16-19 miles each way…

I would only rec this for a short term thing but not long term. It will make you angry …

Update - I was able to get 2 days a week (non-consecutive) MUCH closer to home - 20 min direct subway (1 block walking on either end) starting this summer ;-). This means I need to drive 1 hr-ish each way for 2 or 3 days a week only (I have an alternating schedule). Ultimately, I want to work 3 days a week (currently 4).

If my request was denied, I think I'd have to seriously start looking for a new job. Long commutes affect everyone differently, but it has def taken a toll on me - my health for example. I am so worn out by the commute that I have been working out almost 99% less than I used to, eating less healthy foods etc.

Leave a comment:

• q-school
    replied
    respectfully-- are you nuts?

2 freaking hours lost in the car?  with how much you make already?

what about kids soccer and dance and baseball and a ton of stuff that you would miss?

stop looking at the problems, and start appreciating the blessings.  

good luck with your decision!

Leave a comment:

• JeffreyBrown
    replied
    I personally would not do it. But you can go for it  

Leave a comment:

• SwanSong
    replied
    My commute ranges from 30-35 minutes and is mostly at 70mph. I also use Dragon Anywhere and dictate through it, so I am getting work done. I also return phone calls through it. I pass through some beautiful country, have very lityle traffic and live in a beautiful part of the world, so the commute is worth it to me. No way would I do another urban commute again; I hate cities.

Leave a comment:

• FIREoneDay
    replied
    The commute will take a toll even through you will get a higher income.  I commute 40 minutes-1 hour in the morning (reverse commute) which isn't bad. The commute back is horrible. Takes one and half hours normally and I sit in traffic most of the time. Lately, there has been road blockage and construction which leads to 2 hours.  It becomes very draining especially as the week goes on.

Leave a comment:

• uptoolate
    replied
    For first 10 years of career was 3 minutes from work and could even walk, blade or bike to work weather permitting.  Last 10 years of career had a 60-90 minute commute round trip. Would rather have the 3 minute commute but income increased 2-3x and hours of work were cut in half... allowed me to retire at 52.  Was it worth it? Yes I think.  To go from 700k to 1M - I don't think I would do it unless it was a very nice low stress, fair weather drive.

Leave a comment:

• janettebournes
    replied

Yes I would be off those days

Wouldn't it make more sense to just work those 3 days and stay at that site?

And just return home for the remaining 4 days?

Also, what kind of job pays in the 700k - 900k range for 3 days of work per week??

Leave a comment:

• cbmd81
    replied
    Yes I would be off those days

Leave a comment:

• Kamban
    replied
    Remember you already make 700K. Even 200K would be less than 1/3 increase in a already high income and half of it will go to taxes.

No way will I commute 4 hours each day for 3 days.

What about the other 4 days a week. Will you be off on those days?

Leave a comment:

• VagabondMD
    replied
    I hate commuting, and I love my free time. Pulling any lever that increases the former, decreases the latter (and vice versa).

Time lost commuting can never be made up. Lost wages from a distant job can.

Leave a comment:

• Golfing Doc
    replied
    An extra 200k is pretty impressive, although each person has their limits. At two hours each way three days a week, you're looking at 12 hours a week commuting. I don't know what your current commute and schedule is, but if it's the average American commute (25 minutes each way), it's 4.17 hours a week. So you'd be getting paid an extra 200k for an extra 7.83 hours a week. Let's say you work 48 hours a work after vacation and CME time. That comes to $532/hour before taxes. That's a pretty solid hourly rate. But, everyone has their breaking point and four hours a day in a car is rough. Cheap apartment is also an option as mentioned above depending on the COL in your area.

Another important issue would be the call situation... would you be on call from two hours away? That doesn't sound feasible

Leave a comment:

• RogueDadMD
    replied
    2 hours each way on non consecutive days sounds terrible.

Would be better to do them consecutive and get a cheap ****************** apartment to stay in. Save 8 hours of driving and wear and tear and use savings to get somewhere to sleep. Or get the job to subsidize it.

Leave a comment:

• CM
    replied

Let me ask about one more possibility…

What about a 2 hour commute each way (all highway and no traffic) if it were three nonconsecutive days per week and resulted in more income (maybe 200k increase) and an end to the frustration of dealing with a shady administration in the current job?

You must have very easy work days. Derm?

I couldn't even consider adding 2 hours to each end of my day. I wouldn't be able to function. Not possible.

Leave a comment:

• cbmd81
    replied
    Let me ask about one more possibility...

What about a 2 hour commute each way (all highway and no traffic) if it were three nonconsecutive days per week and resulted in more income (maybe 200k increase) and an end to the frustration of dealing with a shady administration in the current job?

Leave a comment:

• jfoxcpacfp
    replied

Maybe it is 70 minutes to research a zebra before the next morning report.
    Click to expand…

research a zebra?
    Click to expand…

I know it’s been explained already but I had to dig up this clip

https://youtu.be/-Y9C3-DCrjM

lol, thanks, i just wasted 10 minutes of my workday watching clips from Scrubs. That was awesome.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X