Won the game. Now what!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anne View Post

I think ICU bear was banned but my theory is he managed to return as a different handle and a somewhat cleaned up act. There is someone on here with the exact same writing style and general attitude who joined after he left.
    He posted under a different moniker (I don’t recall what it was) but identical style very briefly at the advent of the new forum. I didn’t know he was banned. I seriously assumed he left because people were ignoring him and he couldn’t like his own posts anymore.

If he is still here now, he has changed usernames again. Can you PM me who you think it is? I have a guess (not the soothsayer of the swamp).

Comment

Originally posted by Anne View Post

I think ICU bear was banned but my theory is he managed to return as a different handle and a somewhat cleaned up act. There is someone on here with the exact same writing style and general attitude who joined after he left.

As far as overcharging for shipping, I think it just makes the guy seem out of touch with the direction things have gone. It’s like expecting customers to have a landline...it just makes you seem old and out of touch.
      I think we are thinking of the same guy...

Comment

Originally posted by Lordosis View Post

I think we are thinking of the same guy...
        Ok now im intrigued... like a WCI version of the masked singer

Comment

Nice work paying off the mortgage!

Now you are in a position of strength and can be aggressive with your investments.

If your time horizon is long, you can do no wrong. https://awealthofcommonsense.com/201...-market-timer/

Comment

Originally posted by Lithium View Post

He posted under a different moniker (I don’t recall what it was) but identical style very briefly at the advent of the new forum. I didn’t know he was banned. I seYoe-Cheeze?riously assumed he left because people were ignoring him and he couldn’t like his own posts anymore.

If he is still here now, he has changed usernames again. Can you PM me who you think it is? I have a guess (not the soothsayer of the swamp).
            All I can recall is that he used to write voluminous posts and I once chided him about it and wanted a cliff notes version. I don't recall anyone posting like that later on. One poster had a photo of fungal infection of the nails that I despised. Toe-Cheeze??

Comment

Originally posted by Kamban View Post

All I can recall is that he used to write voluminous posts and I once chided him about it and wanted a cliff notes version. I don't recall anyone posting like that later on. One poster had a photo of fungal infection of the nails that I despised. Toe-Cheeze??
              Toe Cheeze was a Crixus reincarnation.

Comment

Originally posted by GogglesandScarf View Post
                Nice work paying off the mortgage!

Now you are in a position of strength and can be aggressive with your investments.

If your time horizon is long, you can do no wrong. https://awealthofcommonsense.com/201...-market-timer/
                OP here again.
                thanks all for the specific advice. I'm still lististening!

3 points standing out:

1. Invest in equities; not individual stocks but indexes (= diversity/spread)
                2. Time in the market (not timing the market)
                3. Take more risks (given zero debt, age and shovel size)

So with those in mind I'm thinking whole market indexes aren't risky/juicy enough. What do people think about focused ETF portfolios (like ARK)?

Comment

Originally posted by Medica8ed View Post

OP here again.

3 points standing out:

So with those in mind I'm thinking whole market indexes aren't risky/juicy enough. What do people think about focused ETF portfolios (like ARK)?
                  that defeats point number 1. Unless you can forecast which asset class/factor will outperform the total stock market correctly, in which case, please say it here before you invest in it so it can be proven.

point 3 meant to do point 1. Not to take unnecesarry risk, which would be individual stocks or only one asset class/factor.

Comment

By changing from current Asset allocation portfolio to a general index; you're dramatically changing the AA already and risk.

Why not learn to walk before running with your retirement portfolio?

--You can set aside a separate non-retirement account to play/speculate with to try your hand. Would not recommend that with your designated retirement funds, especially from where you have traditionally set your funds.

Comment

• I think diversity of opinion is important in a forum (and markets). We can learn learn from different opinions even if we don’t agree.
                      I try to understand different opinions to my own and it helps to see why someone takes the other side.

Comment

• Originally posted by Medica8ed View Post

OP here again.

3 points standing out:

#1 and #2 are foundational pillars, certainly agree with those take aways. You are misinterpreting #3 to mean you should take on excessive risk when equities already provides the risk you need to grow your portfolio.

Strongly suggest you read through some of the WCI Classics. It's all there.

Investing 101
                        https://www.whitecoatinvestor.com/investing-101/

10 Reasons I invest in Index Funds
                        https://www.whitecoatinvestor.com/10-reasons-invest-index-funds/

Uncompensated Investment Risk
                        https://www.whitecoatinvestor.com/uncompensated-risk/

And with regards to ARK, Ben Carlson at A Wealth of Common Sense gave them a shout out recently. I suggest you read it as well.
                        https://awealthofcommonsense.com/202...forming-funds/

Comment

OP here again.

3 points standing out:

Thank you for yanking us back to the real thread. Also appreciate you checking in - so many new posters don’t.
                          Our passion is protecting clients and others from predatory and ignorant advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

• Originally posted by TheDangerZone View Post

And with regards to ARK, Ben Carlson at A Wealth of Common Sense gave them a shout out recently. I suggest you read it as well.
                            https://awealthofcommonsense.com/202...forming-funds/
                            Great link thanks! I do buy into the concept of targeting tech/biotechnology sectors in a basket like this to reduce the risk but the growth of AUM is very disturbing.... perhaps I'll be late to that party too 😔

And thats the point; there's always a difference of opinion. We're in a young bull cycle which history suggests will run for at least a few yrs, perhaps 10 more. We're in a period of massive fiscal stimulus propping up equities, which has to be repaid at some point. Baby boomers are retiring in huge numbers, forced to withdraw on their portfolios which should flatten returns.

Where any of this will leave us by 2030 is anyone's guess 🤷‍♂️ I don't see ARK and Indexing returns as the difference between growth or loss over that period but do think the rate of growth or loss will be different. I'm gonna put 50% of my shovel to each and report back in 10 years 🙂

Comment

Great link thanks! I do buy into the concept of targeting tech/biotechnology sectors in a basket like this to reduce the risk but the growth of AUM is very disturbing.... perhaps I'll be late to that party too 😔

And thats the point; there's always a difference of opinion. We're in a young bull cycle which history suggests will run for at least a few yrs, perhaps 10 more. We're in a period of massive fiscal stimulus propping up equities, which has to be repaid at some point. Baby boomers are retiring in huge numbers, forced to withdraw on their portfolios which should flatten returns.

Where any of this will leave us by 2030 is anyone's guess 🤷‍♂️ I don't see ARK and Indexing returns as the difference between growth or loss over that period but do think the rate of growth or loss will be different. I'm gonna put 50% of my shovel to each and report back in 10 years 🙂
                              Not exactly what I would advise or do, but to each their own. And thanks for at least being upfront with your projections, we'll see in 10 years which has done better net of fees. I know technically we should consider this a new bull market, but in my opinion I feel its just a continuation of the previous bull- the bear was short and propped up by so much weirdness that I'm not so sure I can see a new 5-10 year bull run starting from 3/23/2020. But my prediction skills are zero, absolutely reinforced by this year's wackiness, hence my indexing nature.

Comment

Interesting pivot and change of tone from your first post on this thread. I am not clear if you have done the basic financial education, but whatever. Have fun. What could possibly go wrong with putting half of your money in tech now that we are at the start of a "young bull cycle?"

Comment

Working...
                                X