Won the game. Now what!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fatlittlepig View Post
    U belong to the 1% of physicians who need a financial advisor.
    HA! that is funny! OP this is an inside joke!

Comment

Originally posted by Medica8ed View Post

Thanks and I'm listening!

It's hard to explain our history on a forum like this. There was no private schools or parent parachutes to fall back on for us. Every cent was hard won and that still holds us back today. I read a lot and as others have pointed there's no lack of advice, but most of it falls into a do *this* for 20+ years plan, which consumes our lifetime if wrong. US Indexes have worked but if we had chosen to live in Japan (Nikkei 225 Index) then the last 30 years did not fulfill the promise for those folks.
      Indexing is a good way to limit downside risk, but also neuters potential gains, but at our saving rate that's 👌
      Ok, if that worries you, invest in world index.

NB: As a Japanese investor, if you had DCA in the Nikkei 225 and stayed the course in the last 25 years, you would have done ok. The Nikkei 225 reached a 30 year high recently and is up 16% YTD.

Comment

Originally posted by StarTrekDoc View Post

@jfoxcpacfp - we are all peons in the eyes of multimillionaires - true. doesn't mean he should kick the dog on shipping. Optics do matter when he's saying something on economics and savings and being prudent.

Anne - yep.
        It’s just capitalism. He’s not kicking any dog, he just recognizes he can charge his own rates. Econ 101, supply and demand. And he can pretty much command whatever cost he chooses - why should he care about optics? Fwiw, I am sure you realize there are many multimillionaires here, probably in the top few % of any forum with active participants in that population. You all just happen to be in a business where you have no ability to control prices. But, I can assure you, those who do branch out in their own businesses/practices have a goal of maximizing profits (our founder is a prime example), optics be [email protected] I personally find no fault with it. If optics force enough consumers to choose a competitor, the seller adjusts the price. Nick is a unique quantity, as he really has no competitors for what he is selling. Truth be told, neither does WCI when selling ad space. There is a particular advertiser here who I believe rapes its clients, has referral agreements with partners, and doesn’t have the skills (again, this is impo and I may be way off base) to serve you guys effectively. But this person appears to be a great marketer. Until enough clients balk and complain, their is no motivation for change. And, no, I will not name names but buyer beware: everyone needs to vet the professionals they use. Being a paid advertiser, even on WCI, does not give anyone an automatic pass. Every firm here has their own unique attributes and qualities and it’s up to all buyers to do their own due diligence.
        Our passion is protecting clients and others from predatory and ignorant advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

Originally posted by jfoxcpacfp View Post

It’s just capitalism. He’s not kicking any dog, he just recognizes he can charge his own rates. Econ 101, supply and demand. And he can pretty much command whatever cost he chooses - why should he care about optics? Fwiw, I am sure you realize there are many multimillionaires here, probably in the top few % of any forum with active participants in that population. You all just happen to be in a business where you have no ability to control prices. But, I can assure you, those who do branch out in their own businesses/practices have a goal of maximizing profits (our founder is a prime example), optics be [email protected] I personally find no fault with it. If optics force enough consumers to choose a competitor, the seller adjusts the price. Nick is a unique quantity, as he really has no competitors for what he is selling. Truth be told, neither does WCI when selling ad space. There is a particular advertiser here who I believe rapes its clients, has referral agreements with partners, and doesn’t have the skills (again, this is impo and I may be way off base) to serve you guys effectively. But this person appears to be a great marketer. Until enough clients balk and complain, their is no motivation for change. And, no, I will not name names but buyer beware: everyone needs to vet the professionals they use. Being a paid advertiser, even on WCI, does not give anyone an automatic pass. Every firm here has their own unique attributes and qualities and it’s up to all buyers to do their own due diligence.
          That was an interesting choice of words in this post

Comment

Originally posted by fatlittlepig View Post

That was an interesting choice of words in this post
            Time for Lordosis to create the first poll of 2021? Maybe not.

Comment

Originally posted by G View Post

yeah, in your settings. it makes it kind of awkward sometimes to follow the thread, but on the other hand you already know the gist:

OP: I have a stack of money to invest.
              Individual: I have good success in focused equities except for when I have good success in fixed income, not counting for the fact that I am all cash for the next opportunity to use my dry powder.
              A lot of others: This is demonstrably crazy for XYZ
              Individual: You are small-minded simpletons and know nothing of the real world.
              Others: Actually, I'm FI at 46, am a partner in a couple businesses, own a couple other businesses, have real estate, alternatives, dabble in focused equities, and use fixed income...but still think that index funds are the way to go in this scenario.
              Individual: You are dooming him to a lifetime of mediocrity.
              etc etc
              Funny thing is I know who you’re talking about and I have him on ignore also. WCI forum has been a much better experience for me since then.

Comment

Originally posted by G View Post

yeah, in your settings. it makes it kind of awkward sometimes to follow the thread, but on the other hand you already know the gist:

OP: I have a stack of money to invest.
                Individual: I have good success in focused equities except for when I have good success in fixed income, not counting for the fact that I am all cash for the next opportunity to use my dry powder.
                A lot of others: This is demonstrably crazy for XYZ
                Individual: You are small-minded simpletons and know nothing of the real world.
                Others: Actually, I'm FI at 46, am a partner in a couple businesses, own a couple other businesses, have real estate, alternatives, dabble in focused equities, and use fixed income...but still think that index funds are the way to go in this scenario.
                Individual: You are dooming him to a lifetime of mediocrity.
                etc etc
                LMAO

Comment

Originally posted by MaxPower View Post

Funny thing is I know who you’re talking about and I have him on ignore also. WCI forum has been a much better experience for me since then.
                  Yes one would think at some point one would realize that one is talking to a nearly empty room. But for some even an audience of one is a sufficient audience.

Comment

I dunno - blocking people is not really a good thing, unless they are a genuine troll or they are spouting harmful garbage. Which no one is here. You don't want feedback and discussions only with people you agree with, do you? That sounds lame, and creates a bubble of yes-men. Intelligent debate and arguments are how you learn and evolve your positions.

I would hate for this forum to turn into Bogleheads v2.0. That place is a toxic helIhole: if you don't have a cult-like devotion to indexing there, you are shamed and ridiculed. Not to mention that forum has a palpable animosity for physicians, for some reason. Yet, they are okay with people with inheritances or get a large exit at a startup. Kinda strange dynamic over there. But I digress...

Comment

Originally posted by xraygoggles View Post
                      I dunno - blocking people is not really a good thing, unless they are a genuine troll or they are spouting harmful garbage. Which no one is here. You don't want feedback and discussions only with people you agree with, do you? That sounds lame, and creates a bubble of yes-men. Intelligent debate and arguments are how you learn and evolve your positions.

I would hate for this forum to turn into Bogleheads v2.0. That place is a toxic helIhole: if you don't have a cult-like devotion to indexing there, you are shamed and ridiculed. Not to mention that forum has a palpable animosity for physicians, for some reason. Yet, they are okay with people with inheritances or get a large exit at a startup. Kinda strange dynamic over there. But I digress...
                      It’s not the contrarian viewpoint of the one poster here I despise. It’s the false and unverified bravado. It’s the “I told you so, I’m so smart you should have all listened to me” without calling his shot beforehand. Everyone looks like a genius stock picker in retrospect, when all you have to do is claim your position post hoc.

I agree with you on Bogleheads though. How many times can you rehash “invest vs pay off mortgage early,” or “why should anyone hold international?” Plus the rampant physician bashing is tiresome. The only person more despised over there than a doctor is a whole life insurance salesman.

Comment

Originally posted by FIREshrink View Post

Yes one would think at some point one would realize that one is talking to a nearly empty room. But for some even an audience of one is a sufficient audience.
                        It reminds me of that grating poster (ICU Bear) who disappeared when we migrated to the new forum and he could no longer like his own posts.

What if we could no longer read our own posts, but were (gasp) only allowed to read the posts of others? Would that be the kryptonite for some (or at least one) of our trolls?

Comment

Originally posted by xraygoggles View Post

Really they don't like physicians? I'm curious now.

Comment

Originally posted by burritos View Post

Really they don't like physicians? I'm curious now.
                            I've seen a number of physicians on bogleheads make similar comments, but I post over there and haven't experienced that. There may be some jealousy from a minority of posters, but it's the internet; you have to let some things roll off your back.
                            Erstwhile Dance Theatre of Dayton performer cum bellhop. Carried (many) bags for a lovely and gracious 59 yo Cyd Charisse. (RIP) Hosted epic company parties after Friday night rehearsals.

Comment

Originally posted by jfoxcpacfp View Post

I hear what you're saying. In any field there's a right way of doing things and not. When you're talking about efficiency and effective savings, it's hard to turn around and say shipping costs that much. It's just not. -- just saying it made me think twice about his sayings when I see what he's practicing without even opening the book.

All-

I believe that most of us bring valuable perspective to this forum as we all come from different walks of life. While I may have significant philosophical differences with several forum members, there is no benefit in blocking a person in entirety as then you lose a part of the flavor of the conversation and I value many of my fellow colleague's differing opinions. Yes, some are grating and ICU Bear is a great example.

Comment

Originally posted by Lithium View Post

It reminds me of that grating poster (ICU Bear) who disappeared when we migrated to the new forum and he could no longer like his own posts.

What if we could no longer read our own posts, but were (gasp) only allowed to read the posts of others? Would that be the kryptonite for some (or at least one) of our trolls?
                                I think ICU bear was banned but my theory is he managed to return as a different handle and a somewhat cleaned up act. There is someone on here with the exact same writing style and general attitude who joined after he left.

As far as overcharging for shipping, I think it just makes the guy seem out of touch with the direction things have gone. It’s like expecting customers to have a landline...it just makes you seem old and out of touch.

Comment

Working...
                                X