No announcement yet.

How often do you check your net worth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I check if I know the dow/s+p is up. Seeing positive movement makes me feel good. If it's down I ignore it. On my quarter contributions, I try to put it in on a down day. I use wikinvest to compile my different accounts.

Comment

I've got a detailed spreadsheet I've built over the years that I update each time I invest (currently monthly), as I maintain my asset allocation via new investments, and I have a calculator built into the spreadsheet that shows me how much to drop into each of my 5 buckets to maintain my allocation. Otherwise I try to avoid looking at it too often, though I give into temptation more than I'd like to admit.

Comment

I’ve got a detailed spreadsheet I’ve built over the years that I update each time I invest (currently monthly), as I maintain my asset allocation via new investments, and I have a calculator built into the spreadsheet that shows me how much to drop into each of my 5 buckets to maintain my allocation. Otherwise I try to avoid looking at it too often, though I give into temptation more than I’d like to admit.

Mind sharing that built-in calculator? sounds neat and right up my nerd alley

Comment

Rather than try to extract the little subsection out of my overly complex and interconnected spreadsheet page, here's a link to one that does the same thing, and appears a bit more polished. You could add this as a separate sheet in excel, or add it within the same spreadsheet page where you keep your allocation information, and just link the cells so that this updates as well. Then you simply put however much you have to invest in that top cell, and it breaks it down for you.

http://www.moneysense.ca/invest/portfolio-rebalancing-tool/

I have no affiliation with the above site, but I did try the download link and the spreadsheet works well.

Comment

I used to update a spreadsheet quarterly. Since the volatile part of the portfolio is all in cap weighted index funds Infind I know what has happened to my stocks just from listening to the news and knowing what the market has done. I try to do a formal check once a year.

There is nothing I am going to do with the information, so knowing my networth is not important.

Comment

Working...
            X