Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To upgrade or not? Tesla Model Y acceleration boost....

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Software gimped performance annoys me greatly. I just don't think it makes sense to hinder the capabilities of something like a car behind pay to play hurdles or require an ongoing subscription to keep CarPlay or seat warmers working. (Looking a you, BMW!)

    That said, when someone like WhiteBeardDoc compares a one-time expense of $2,000 to shave 0.5 seconds off an already impressive 4.8 seconds to the cost for a business or first class seat? Yeah, that flight will be over in 14 hours or less. The additional acceleration will be available in your car each and every day for the next 8+ years you own it. For someone with an eight figure or higher net worth who enjoys driving his car, this seems like a small splurge roughly comparable to a waitress buying a latte at Starbucks.

    Comment


    • #62
      Originally posted by G View Post

      I hear you, but it is also fun running through the gear box on a manual....
      Once in awhile or when u want to go for a “drive”.
      but not for daily drives.

      Comment


      • #63
        Originally posted by Lordosis View Post
        There goes all that money you were supposed to be saving on oil changes.
        Your comment gave me a good laugh!

        Comment


        • #64
          I think there is nothing stopping Tesla from building a large subscription basis if they can get a big part of market share. People aren’t going to just up and get a new car over a few bucks.

          Comment


          • #65
            Originally posted by STATscans View Post

            Once in awhile or when u want to go for a “drive”.
            but not for daily drives.
            To each their own. I thoroughly enjoy my manual transmission cars for both commuting on the weekdays and more intentional drives during the weekend.

            Comment


            • #66
              Originally posted by VentAlarm View Post
              I think there is nothing stopping Tesla from building a large subscription basis if they can get a big part of market share. People aren’t going to just up and get a new car over a few bucks.
              Software updates cost money. Tesla employs a ton of software engineers who have to get paid. If they price it right it will not be something one worries about incessantly.

              For example, the monthly fees for the premium connectivity is priced right at $9.99. If the non critical updates cost < 150/year it will be worthwhile to keep the car up to date. Heck, it is less than what Acura wants to keep the useless maps of their navigation system updated with a DVD. Or less than what they charge for an oil change.

              Comment


              • #67
                Originally posted by G View Post

                Tangentially related...the guy at the bicycle shop said that he couldn't tune my brakes because he no longer carries equipment that old. Guess further tunes get carried out at the antique shop.

                Similar for cars any time soon?
                Sounds like he didn't want to work on your old POS bike

                Comment


                • #68
                  Originally posted by White.Beard.Doc View Post

                  Your comment gave me a good laugh!
                  Glad to do so but I am feeling more upset about the future of cars. I guess I got caught up in the tech and forgot that there were money hungry companies behind them.

                  Yes people will be willing to pay it because what is another 10-15 dollars on a 200-300 car note monthly? Only weird people like us pay for these things upfront.

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Originally posted by White.Beard.Doc View Post
                    I am now in the 4th month of ownership of my Tesla Model Y, the long range AWD version. The wicked smooth, silent, warp speed acceleration never gets old, and on longer drives the autopilot is so relaxing. I wish I could enjoy going more places, but I have to be patient for the Covid curse to fade in order to convince my better half to get out of the house more often.

                    A few days ago I received notice of an available software upgrade, "acceleration boost". You pay $2,000 via the Tesla app triggering a software download from the cloud to your vehicle. Once downloaded, the 0-60 acceleration time improves from 4.8 seconds to 4.3 seconds. It is not as good as the 3.5 second 0-60 time of the Model Y performance, but nevertheless it is a significant upgrade.

                    Is it worth it? Should I click..... or not?

                    On the one hand it seems somewhat frivolous to upgrade the acceleration when the current version is wicked fast. Already I pull away when the light turns green on the highway like a slingshot... pure, silent, smooth, refined torque, with mere mortals left far behind in the rear view mirror. I don't need more speed as the speed is already extreme in comparison to all those antiquated ICE vehicles around me on the road. But, then again, on occasion it might be fun.

                    Spending $2k on a whim seems silly but at this point, given my various successful ventures, that kind of excess disposable income can be measured in hours . I am tempted to click, but at the same time it feels like a whimsical, unnecessary indulgence.
                    I would totally do it. I wish BMW would offer something like that for my i3. More and more these days I wish I would have waited for the Model 3 back when I bought my i3. I bought it about a year before the 3’s were first released. It’s been an excellent car though. And even it’s acceleration is fun. But doesn’t come close to the Tesla’s. It turned out to be a very cheap car especially the longer I drive it. Already 50k+ miles on it. I now charge it for free either at work or off our solar on sunny days. So with no gas to buy, no oil to change it is paying for itself every day. This is the only reason I haven’t traded it in for a Model Y...but boy was I tempted. I nearly pulled the trigger back in March. But with the whole pandemic uncertainty I just couldn’t justify it.
                    Next time we actually need a car we will be getting a Tesla. If Cybertruck were available we’d already have one. In fact, we might get rid of our Honda Ridgeline when that comes out.

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Originally posted by hightower View Post

                      I would totally do it. I wish BMW would offer something like that for my i3. More and more these days I wish I would have waited for the Model 3 back when I bought my i3. I bought it about a year before the 3’s were first released. It’s been an excellent car though. And even it’s acceleration is fun. But doesn’t come close to the Tesla’s. It turned out to be a very cheap car especially the longer I drive it. Already 50k+ miles on it. I now charge it for free either at work or off our solar on sunny days. So with no gas to buy, no oil to change it is paying for itself every day. This is the only reason I haven’t traded it in for a Model Y...but boy was I tempted. I nearly pulled the trigger back in March. But with the whole pandemic uncertainty I just couldn’t justify it.
                      Next time we actually need a car we will be getting a Tesla. If Cybertruck were available we’d already have one. In fact, we might get rid of our Honda Ridgeline when that comes out.
                      Overall I am loving my experience driving the Tesla Y.

                      Some aspects of a Tesla are years ahead of other vehicles, but in some areas there are issues. Paint quality is not perfect, and fit and finish is not perfect. The latest Model S that we own is perfect, with all of the issues that existed in our early Model S having been fully resolved with time.

                      But our new Y has a slight rattle in the front passenger seat that I will get fixed when I get around to it. Nevertheless, it is an overall fantastic vehicle and I enjoy driving it every day. I would think with the passage of time the little issues with the new Model Y will be worked out.

                      An established company like Audi or Mercedes would never get away with releasing an imperfect beta version of a vehicle. They have their long established reputation for quality to uphold. But Tesla gets away with it because they are so cutting edge in many ways that they get a pass on the little stuff.

                      Sorry.... I have to stop typing now to go out to test my new acceleration upgrade.

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        Let us know how it goes zoom zoom The Y is quite fast enough for us to handle everything we want. I do agree it would really nice to have 2 gear transmission for higher end acceleration, but really that's overkill for 99.9% of our driving needs.

                        Fit and finish is tolerable for us. Our Honda Odyssey from day 1 the water pump has had annoying whine - but 140k miles and 15years later; still humming. I hope the same for our Teslas.

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          Originally posted by White.Beard.Doc View Post

                          Overall I am loving my experience driving the Tesla Y.

                          Some aspects of a Tesla are years ahead of other vehicles, but in some areas there are issues. Paint quality is not perfect, and fit and finish is not perfect. The latest Model S that we own is perfect, with all of the issues that existed in our early Model S having been fully resolved with time.

                          But our new Y has a slight rattle in the front passenger seat that I will get fixed when I get around to it. Nevertheless, it is an overall fantastic vehicle and I enjoy driving it every day. I would think with the passage of time the little issues with the new Model Y will be worked out.

                          An established company like Audi or Mercedes would never get away with releasing an imperfect beta version of a vehicle. They have their long established reputation for quality to uphold. But Tesla gets away with it because they are so cutting edge in many ways that they get a pass on the little stuff.

                          Sorry.... I have to stop typing now to go out to test my new acceleration upgrade.
                          Can we see????
                          https://youtu.be/mS3-v3e07fE

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X