Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To upgrade or not? Tesla Model Y acceleration boost....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To upgrade or not? Tesla Model Y acceleration boost....

I am now in the 4th month of ownership of my Tesla Model Y, the long range AWD version. The wicked smooth, silent, warp speed acceleration never gets old, and on longer drives the autopilot is so relaxing. I wish I could enjoy going more places, but I have to be patient for the Covid curse to fade in order to convince my better half to get out of the house more often.

A few days ago I received notice of an available software upgrade, "acceleration boost". You pay $2,000 via the Tesla app triggering a software download from the cloud to your vehicle. Once downloaded, the 0-60 acceleration time improves from 4.8 seconds to 4.3 seconds. It is not as good as the 3.5 second 0-60 time of the Model Y performance, but nevertheless it is a significant upgrade.

Is it worth it? Should I click..... or not?

On the one hand it seems somewhat frivolous to upgrade the acceleration when the current version is wicked fast. Already I pull away when the light turns green on the highway like a slingshot... pure, silent, smooth, refined torque, with mere mortals left far behind in the rear view mirror. I don't need more speed as the speed is already extreme in comparison to all those antiquated ICE vehicles around me on the road. But, then again, on occasion it might be fun.

Spending $2k on a whim seems silly but at this point, given my various successful ventures, that kind of excess disposable income can be measured in hours . I am tempted to click, but at the same time it feels like a whimsical, unnecessary indulgence.

i mean 2K for 10% improvement is definitely real. i wonder if it applies across the power band or just initial launch......

1st i would try and time your own runs, and see how close to 4.8 you are even getting. i seem to remember a few YT videos of ppl unable to replicate the performance metrics.

otherwise like you said, its a whim thing. yay or nay, i support you.

Comment

Well, is the actual performance worth it? Highly doubtful. Might you enjoy knowing you have it? Sounds like yes. While I would choose to spend discretionary fun money elsewhere, you worked hard and invested to get to a point that you can indulge yourself. Have at it and laugh at the naysayers.

Comment

Yes, of course you should...in case I pull up next to you with my Novitec upgrades.

Comment

Will it make a difference based on where you live/drive? I laugh at the individuals driving high end sports cars in manhattan, especially during rush hour- there no chance to actually use the cars for performance, and even if they find a clear path they'll likely bust up their car on a pothole if they try to go too fast. But if you live somewhere were you have the ability to safely accelerate faster, go for it

Comment

Do it! We can start a go fund me page if we need to! I’m in for $10 for the YouTube video to follow.

Comment

We passed- rarely fully throttle either Y or 3 these days. Only time is an occasional annoying civic or muscle car revving their car being aggressive that hasn't met a tesla yet to put it in their place. It's very rare these days here though for good reason.

No need for the boost as both our standard 3 and Y easily handles those.

Comment

Opportunity cost= .5 secs x number of times you go 0-60 each year x years you will own it.
                .5 x twice/wk x 52 = 52 minutes
                If you write it off in 5 years its only $400!
                That’s about $461/hour .
                Of course if you gain .25 between stop signs that’s going to really add up. But, the downside is those left turn lane lights.
                Just think how much your life would be better with one whole minute each week!

That would frustrate the crap when I wait 2 minutes at the left hand turn lane or grocery store check out.
                My spouse like to leave 5 minutes early anyways.
                I try to tell her, time is precious. I can’t do much with .5 seconds.
                Maybe you can! It’s only $2k. YOLO.

Comment

I am admittedly too cheap.

Comment

I think it depends on what you're gonna do with that 2K. If the alternative is donating it to a worthy cause, then don't get it.

If it's just going to sit in your bank account, then do it. You won't even notice it's gone and you can't take it with you.

With money being fungible, it's sometimes hard to determine what truly happens to the 2K if not spent on this, but you get the general idea.

Comment

I don't know anything about Tesla's suspension but are the suspensions the same no matter what trim level you get? If you don't have the setup (suspension, tires, etc.) to get the power to the ground then it'll be useless.

Comment

You're rich enough to do it. Do it. Get back to us with an honest(non tesla fan boy) opinion to see if it was worth it. Call an an experiment of an N of 1.

Comment

My car is 0-60 in under 3 seconds. I rarely, rarely have the opportunity to give her all she's got. When I do though, it's amazing and I have paid more than $2k to get it faster for really no good reason. You presumably won't really push your car to the max acceleration often, but $2k is worth it in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Peds View Post
                            i mean 2K for 10% improvement is definitely real. i wonder if it applies across the power band or just initial launch......

1st i would try and time your own runs, and see how close to 4.8 you are even getting. i seem to remember a few YT videos of ppl unable to replicate the performance metrics.

otherwise like you said, its a whim thing. yay or nay, i support you.
                            I am not really a track guy, but I do love the silent, liquid torque.

And Tesla vehicles are definitely rockets at the lower end, but that torque begins to fade at higher speeds. The Porsche Taycan has a 2 speed transmission to help with high end acceleration, but a Tesla has no transmission. As a result, the acceleration of a Tesla begins to fade once you get over 80 mph, but who drives that fast anyway unless you are on a race course?

Comment

Originally posted by EntrepreneurMD View Post
                              Yes, of course you should...in case I pull up next to you with my Novitec upgrades.
                              What is a Novitec upgrade?

Comment

Working...
                              X