No announcement yet.

Any Kaiser (TPMG) docs here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I'll be starting with Kaiser sometime in August and had a couple questions.

1. So I'll already have contributed 19k to my 401k for 2019 from residency, non-kaiser.  I can still do the 55k total backdoor?

2. Kaiser has the 20k 401k disrriobution after 1000 hours, is that per year or 1000 hours after you start (so for me, August to August)?

thanks

Comment

• Any thoughts on the different plan 2/3 Fidelity funds?  I'm just parked in the default which is the target retirement age fund. Very low expense, as they all are.

Comment

• Wife in her mid forties. 95% of her TSR/Keogh is in the 2060 target fund.

Comment

• Target retirement date fund for me as well. I asked our elected director, who is on the retirement committee, when they’ll add a total bond and total international index fund to the fund choices (without having to go through brokerage link). He agrees but said there is significant resistance without a good explanation as to why.

Comment

• @wildbear: it’s just after you start for plan 2. It’s lower for the first part of each calendar year until you hit the SS wage base then bumps up for the rest of the year.

After tax contributions are capped around 14k based on 19k 401k and the max co tribute on for plan 2 (somewhere in the low 20s).

Comment

• Ok awesome, thanks. Since I won’t hit the 1000 hours most likely in year one since o start after half way point, I should be able to do 55k aftertax?

Also, is the home loan program now 200k?

https://physiciancareers-ncal.kaiserpermanente.org/benefits/

Comment

• I know BrokerageLink takes more effort, but once it is set up you have access to all of Fidelity's funds, including the zero-fee (aka Vanguard clone) funds. I used it to recreate Physician on Fire's portfolio and am earning 19% YTD. Much, much better than the target funds (as compared with my partners) and lower expense ratios/fees.

I highly recommend looking into it.

Comment

• Ok awesome, thanks. Since I won’t hit the 1000 hours most likely in year one since o start after half way point, I should be able to do 55k aftertax?

Also, is the home loan program now 200k?

Home loan is up to 200k. 10% of the purchase price of the home up to 2 million. They fund it after you purchase a house. In most cases, mortgage companies don't allow that for down payment since if you quit you need to repay it back right away.

Comment

• Does any one if you if retire before 60, if you can still purchase your health insurance from Kaiser at group rate?  I assume not, but would like to confirm.

Comment

• It seems like Kaiser feels they own their doctors and insinuates themselves in their personal lives. Is that what others have found to be true?

Comment

• It seems like Kaiser feels they own their doctors and insinuates themselves in their personal lives. Is that what others have found to be true?

which kaiser?

also no.

strange first post.

Comment

• IVY56,

I’ve seen some instances of that among colleagues and their higher ups. Degree of malignant behavior is highly variable from kaiser to kaiser and department to department.

On a side note, what did the Kaiser docs think about Jim’s latest post on the blog about primary care earning potential? I had a colleague who used to say “They are making SO much money off of us!” Do you think that is true and that the people in the trenches are just chumps? I was always curious about the PICs and board members’ salaries....and also all those nurse managers....is that where the profit margin is going?

Comment

• Was looking at the options on Fidelity that TPMG offers for funds. I’m currently in a BTC Lifepath target date fund. Ten year return was approx 9% and expense was 0.01. I don’t remember selecting this, so I assume it’s automatic enrollment based on age/ expected retirement.

Without invoking BrokerageLink, I also saw another fund (BTC US equity stock market) that had zero expense and higher return than the target date funds. Is this equivalent to VTSAX? Are any of the other funds similar to VTSAX? Do I need to open up brokerageLink to access the zero expense vanguard total stock market funds?

Comment

• Cocavali,

Yes, the BTC US equity stock is similar to VTSAX. I would not open brokerage link to access any Vanguard Funds as Fidelity will charge $75 per transaction.

Comment

• Where are you getting $75 per transaction? I opened BrokerageLink and was not charged for any transaction.

Comment

Working...
                                X