Car Opinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cubicle View Post

A mess of tools, lumber, dry wall, plumbing pipes, electrical wires, tons of motor oil... 2 cars have garage space, 2 have car ports, 2 are out in the open.

Are those on the lawn standing on bricks. That is what a true redneck home down here in the South looks like once you go out of the city :-)

Comment

In Texas, it’s culture and art. Specifically lawn art.
      https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadillac_Ranch

Comment

Originally posted by Kamban View Post

Are those on the lawn standing on bricks. That is what a true redneck home down here in the South looks like once you go out of the city :-)
        "If you got a house that's mobile, and five cars that ain't..."

Comment

Originally posted by NaOH View Post

"If you got a house that's mobile, and five cars that ain't..."
          I believe that’s call a 5/1 ranch house.

Comment

Originally posted by NaOH View Post
            now I feel like I could still justify a 1 - 2 car shop...
            You just need to lower your threshold! There's always a good reason for more car & work space
            $1 saved = >$1 earned. ✓

Comment

Originally posted by Kamban View Post
              Are those on the lawn standing on bricks.
              I haven't ascended to that level yet.

No seriously, I mean out in the open not under any cover. For the record, all my cars start, run, turn, drive, & stop.
              $1 saved = >$1 earned. ✓

Comment

Originally posted by Lordosis View Post
                I said it in another thread but it deserves repeating here. Our staff drives more expensive cars then the physicians in my practice.

What you drive does not have to correlate with how much you earn. And it might inversely correlate with your wealth.
                Yup. If you took median nw of all BMW drivers in US would probably be significantly less than that of Toyota drivers. Median income might be higher for BMW, maybe. Anyone willing to pay $400-600 for an oil change that is not financially independent is on average going to suck with money.

Comment

yeah man you can splurge on an acura if you wish but if it doesn't mean that much to you just get honda accord or toyota camry. The sweet spot where you get the most bang for your buck seems to be a 3 year old used car with low mileage. I myself bought a last year a 2016 used Honda accord with 10K miles on it for $18K. 3 years seems to be where the most depreciation comes in for a car.

However, as per Jonathan Clements and every other happiness researcher says try splurging on experiences.

And don't use my wife's reasoning that the "experience" of driving a car is actually an experience that will make memories that will increase happiness!

Comment

Originally posted by racelari View Post
                    And don't use my wife's reasoning that the "experience" of driving a car is actually an experience that will make memories that will increase happiness!
                    You’re painting too broad a brush. Driving my car even during a normal commute of 15 miles literally puts a smile on my face and gets my heart racing. I look forward to driving it. I drove an extra 20 minutes during my lunch break yesterday because I had time.

Now, I paid for it it cash and have my savings for the year already lined up so priorities are important. For some people, it is absolutely an experience with tangible value that can justify an added expense.

For the OP, obviously now is probably not the time to go big.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDangerZone View Post

You’re painting too broad a brush. Driving my car even during a normal commute of 15 miles literally puts a smile on my face and gets my heart racing. I look forward to driving it. I drove an extra 20 minutes during my lunch break yesterday because I had time.

Now, I paid for it it cash and have my savings for the year already lined up so priorities are important. For some people, it is absolutely an experience with tangible value that can justify an added expense.

For the OP, obviously now is probably not the time to go big.
                      I think the fact that you experience your car everyday, does make it an experience and the differences are pretty obvious between rough car and decent. Less so between good and luxury.

I hate driving or even riding in my wifes car, its our in town errand mobile and is bare bones, etc...uncomfortable and just not enjoyable at all.

I usually rent a nicer vehicle when on trips that I've never driven before. My lexus is 7 years old and last couple times the updates and tech have been very noticeable and I'd say obviously improve safety and the driving experience. Cars are simply all around better in a larger way now as tech does tech stuff. The difference between a 2000 and 2010 is much less than a 2010 and 2020.

Comment

Working...
                      X