Personal expense tracker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Personal expense tracker

anyone recommend a good app for tracking monthly expenses? I'd prefer one that doesn't require me to link all my bank account information. Mint? Every dollar?

excel.

Comment

I use Mint and am satisfied with its features and ease of use. It is best and most accurate if you link all your accounts to it, however

Comment

I second Mint.  Very easy to use, but you do need to link your bank accounts unless you pay everything via credit card, which is hard to do.  You could also manually enter everything you spend directly from a bank account and track your credit card spending.  It's been very helpful for me.

Comment

Everydollar has 2 options: FREE without automatically updating anything, or $100/year to link to your bank account.  We currently use both Mint.com and Everydollar.  The best part of Mint.com is that you can see trends and graphs of debts/expenses/income, etc.  Supposedly, according to the Dave Ramsey Podcast, these options are coming to Everydollar but I haven't seen it yet.

Excel can be just as good if you get a nice spreadsheet started and personalized, and you can do it up-to-the-minute whereas the other sites lag 1-2 days.

Comment

I wanted to do it myself without linking, then I realized that we have multiple expenses most days. It would take so much more work to track it all independently. So I started using Mint, and have not regretted it one bit.

Comment

I LOVE YNAB

Comment

I LOVE YNAB

I hear this is a recent PMG fad, too.

...do you guys' banks' websites not have this functionality?

Comment

I LOVE YNAB
                  Click to expand…

I hear this is a recent PMG fad, too.

…do you guys’ banks’ websites not have this functionality?

YNAB is a totally unique budgeting app...no bank has this functionality...YNAB is not Mint V2. They are totally different. This app literally changed my life....(from out of control spender/running out of money every month). Started using this over 2 years ago.

I know exactly where all my money goes.

Comment

anyone recommend a good app for tracking monthly expenses? I’d prefer one that doesn’t require me to link all my bank account information. Mint? Every dollar?

Depends on how much time you want to put in initially, how long you plan to use it and if you can use a credit card for transactions most of the time.

I am never sure how many years any of the online sites will last before they get bought out, merged or shut down. I have been using Quicken since its DOS version days of 1990. You can track everything in it from your daily expenses to investments. Costs $50-60 every 3 years so that the download function works.

I purchase almost everything using 2-3 credit cards and so does my wife. Once a week or so I download the transactions ( have set it up so that it does after Quicken starts). I can categorize every transaction any way I like, whether they be entertainment, fuel, utilities or dining or groceries. After sometime the re-categorizing is minimal.

At anytime I can run a report to see what I spent last week, last month or last year or any custom dates. I can see my net worth or any number of reports. It makes my end of year meeting with the accountant for filing of taxes very simple.

Comment

I second EDDOCMOM. My wife and I use EveryDollar App to track our expenses in real-time. I use Mint.com at the end of each month to pull all of my expenses from one place and then enter them in to my Excel spreadsheet. Perhaps you don't have as much of a need to count pennies as us, but it has been a very successful strategy so far!

Comment

Thanks everyone. Very helpful!

im assuming sites like mint that require bank information are fairly safe? Anyone ever heard of identity theft occurring with these types of software? Reason I ask is a few months ago I was in our bank chatting with the teller while filling out some paperwork. We got on the topic of budgeting apps and she said that the bank will not be responsible if something were to happen to my accounts(money or identity stolen) bc i chose to give my info to a third party. Not sure if that's true or not.

Comment

Mint likely has better security in place to guard your login information than your bank does, believe it or not.  And there's no way your identity could be stolen because you were using Mint.  At worst, your account could be hacked - but that can happen right now, even without your using Mint.

Comment

Mint likely has better security in place to guard your login information than your bank does, believe it or not.  And there’s no way your identity could be stolen because you were using Mint.  At worst, your account could be hacked – but that can happen right now, even without your using Mint.

If his account gets hacked now and he has taken adequate precautions the bank is responsible. If Mint gets hacked and via that the bank account gets hacked will the bank be responsible or will it be Mint?

I don't even know if one can hack a bank account via Mint if Mint is compromised.

Comment

Can anyone recommend a budgeting app for kids/pre-teens? I'd like it to bucket allowance or gift money into save, give, spend and also track spending. Ideally, the save and give can be set up based on percentages as income will be variable.

Comment

Working...
                              X