No announcement yet.

Credit Card Hacking/Churning/Reward Chasing/Miles/Whatev

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Churning way too much time and effort for me. Feels like coupon cutting.

Also feel like all the various “rewards” are not usually worth it. And sifting through which “reward” I want is time and effort.

I like cashback. I use Citi DoubleCash. The cash just goes straight into my account. I’m just sorry Citi won’t do it automatically – then it would be even less thought.

I also have a 5% gas card. It’s mindless to use one card for gas and another card for everything else.

I received $900 in card rewards in 2015. I don’t really spend that much. I travel quite a bit for work and every expense goes on that card, then is reimbursed. Pretty sweet deal, I think.

Cash back is not the best way to get rewards. Travel (especially international) is. Ex., went to France in September (before all the ************************ broke loose) for 2 weeks. Free Marriott and Sheraton stays in Category 9 hotels and free first class flights on Star Alliance partner to AA. Probably saves easy ~15k with this.

Depends on where and how you want to travel. I currently have ~6 first class tickets worth of points to Europe in my American Airlines account. This is from 4-5 moths of churning.

Comment

I agree with above.  Maybe I'm naive, but I enjoy the simplicity sake of cash back.  Have my 2% Double Back CITI card and just live life.  It sounds like I could get more points and better results by churning, but it sounds like too much work.  Maybe I'll get my wife to be in charge of that or something and get us more benefits.  :P

Comment

Just FYI, transferred UR points do not count toward companion pass. Only spending, flying and bonus points count.

Are you sure?  I was led to believe if you have 110,000 pts, you have 110,000 pts whether it was transferred or not.

Comment

http://thepointsguy.com/2014/11/southwest-companion-pass-16-things-every-flyer-should-know/

Look at #7.

Comment

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles-points-1/

This is the only website you need. Spend some time in Manufactured Spending section. And I don't agree with "stick to one credit card" philosophy. If you do this right, you can easily same $20K per year on travel. I know I do   .

Comment

Here is an excellent link:  http://www.travelmiles101.com  The site is run by a CPA and Cardiologist.  They have an outstanding free tutorial course on the whole process.  I highly recommend the tutorial.
              Click to expand…

Is that miles dividend md’s new endeavor? His blog was my primer in the miles game. Here’s an example of the possibilities: my family of 4 is flying first class from clt (Charlotte) to la then after 2 days we fly Singapore suites/biz for the kids to Tokyo for a four day stay. Coming back we are in jal’s first class product. Sounds crazy for a spring break trip huh? All the flights, and 60% of the hotels, are courtesy of reward programs.

my wife & my credit ratings are still over 800. It’s a fun hobby IMO

Is there any analysis on the "cash back" value of your miles card? For example, if someone used the citi double cash back card vs the miles card for the same purchases, what would the end result be? (ie. $15k cash vs 900k miles) And finally, how would that compare to actually purchasing the same tickets with cash vs miles?

Comment

Here is an excellent link:  http://www.travelmiles101.com  The site is run by a CPA and Cardiologist.  They have an outstanding free tutorial course on the whole process.  I highly recommend the tutorial.
                Click to expand…

Is that miles dividend md’s new endeavor? His blog was my primer in the miles game. Here’s an example of the possibilities: my family of 4 is flying first class from clt (Charlotte) to la then after 2 days we fly Singapore suites/biz for the kids to Tokyo for a four day stay. Coming back we are in jal’s first class product. Sounds crazy for a spring break trip huh? All the flights, and 60% of the hotels, are courtesy of reward programs.

my wife & my credit ratings are still over 800. It’s a fun hobby IMO

Test

Comment

Has there been an analysis on one of these points cards vs a simplistic 2% cash back card ?

Comment

Has there been an analysis on one of these miles cards vs. 2% cash back card?

Comment

Why open and close cards?  Pick the best and stick with them.  I use Citi Double Cash almost exclusively for all purchases – 2% cash back on everything isn’t a bad deal and really adds up.  (Obviously paying off monthly – actually I paid my cards 2-3x a month to keep the balance low.)
                      Click to expand…

I agree with Vlad. Simplicity is key, especially if you are high income earner, even more so if hourly. Before Citi Double Cash was available, Capital One Quicksilver (1.5% no limits) was the best so I got that. Plus I have Chase Freedom (5% rotating categories) and Bank of America Cash Rewards (1.1% if deposited in BoA account with gas/grocery higher). But now if I started from scratch I’d just go with Citi Double Cash (2%). Gaming the system (churning) works until you screw up ONCE. So I just keep my risk low, get the low hanging fruit, and work a little more at my primary job.

Has there been an analysis on one of these miles cards vs. 2% cash back card

Comment

Has there been an analysis on one of these miles cards vs. 2% cash back card?

Comment

Has there been an analysis on one of these miles cards vs. 2% cash back card

Comment

Just FYI, transferred UR points do not count toward companion pass. Only spending, flying and bonus points count. 
                            Click to expand…

Are you sure?  I was led to believe if you have 110,000 pts, you have 110,000 pts whether it was transferred or not.

http://thepointsguy.com/2014/11/southwest-companion-pass-16-things-every-flyer-should-know/

Look at number 7.

Comment

Why open and close cards?  Pick the best and stick with them.  I use Citi Double Cash almost exclusively for all purchases – 2% cash back on everything isn’t a bad deal and really adds up.  (Obviously paying off monthly – actually I paid my cards 2-3x a month to keep the balance low.)
                              Click to expand…

I agree with Vlad. Simplicity is key, especially if you are high income earner, even more so if hourly. Before Citi Double Cash was available, Capital One Quicksilver (1.5% no limits) was the best so I got that. Plus I have Chase Freedom (5% rotating categories) and Bank of America Cash Rewards (1.1% if deposited in BoA account with gas/grocery higher). But now if I started from scratch I’d just go with Citi Double Cash (2%). Gaming the system (churning) works until you screw up ONCE. So I just keep my risk low, get the low hanging fruit, and work a little more at my primary job.

If you dont enjoy it the 2% back is the way to go. However, you can get way better than that and save a lot more in sign up bonus if your willing to do a little extra work. Most of the bang in CC stuff is in the bonuses.

We churn. I recommend Chase Sapphire Premier and Southwest Rapid Rewards for travel. Transfer the Sapphire points to SW and you have enough points combined for a companion pass.  It allows your spouse (or however you choose) to accompany you on every SW flight for FREE for the rest of the year and an entire full year after that. Perfect for the interview trail.

BTW you cant tranfer UR to SW for the companion pass...only flights, and their CC bonuses get it

Churning way too much time and effort for me. Feels like coupon cutting.

Also feel like all the various “rewards” are not usually worth it. And sifting through which “reward” I want is time and effort.

I like cashback. I use Citi DoubleCash. The cash just goes straight into my account. I’m just sorry Citi won’t do it automatically – then it would be even less thought.

I also have a 5% gas card. It’s mindless to use one card for gas and another card for everything else.

I received $900 in card rewards in 2015. I don’t really spend that much. I travel quite a bit for work and every expense goes on that card, then is reimbursed. Pretty sweet deal, I think.

If your just collecting for the sake of it then I agree but you could be getting so many more rewards. Especially if you travel a lot. You may call it mindless but I call it genius!   900 dollars may sound like a lot but what if it was $4000...making money by doing what you normally do. Its a lot like DIY finance, everyone here is smart and probably agrees we all got big degrees and could do it ourself and it drives us crazy other professionals dont and pay all this money. This is just another example...I hear people get excited about there 25K southwest sign up bonus and Im like ohhhh what could have been.

I consider signing up for credit card sign-up bonuses low-hanging fruit… churning and manufactured spending requires increased effort but you can get a lot of “bang-for-your buck” by just signing up for a few select credit card sign-up bonuses.  Some of these points can end up returning a bit more than 5% if you spend your points wisely.

I echo some of the best cards to start with:  Chase Sapphire (to access ultimate rewards program), chase southwest (to qualify for companion pass by getting 110K points), and finally SPG are probably considered some of the cards with the best returns if you strategically sign up for them when offering high bonuses (50K for chase cards, 30K for SPG).

Getting points from just signing up for these 3 cards can go a long way for minimal work other than making sure you meet the minimum spend requirements.

Be careful about SPG...lots of rumors of devaluing with the Marriott merger

Comment

Basically everything RJ said I agree with

Comment

Working...
                                X