Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PhysicianOnFIRE
    replied

Looks like there’s a common theme to fund the 529s early. Any more planned contributions or is that it for the year? If so, wouldn’t you be better off dollar cost averaging throughout the year?

Lump sum beats dollar cost averaging as long as the markets are trending upward over the timeframe you were planning on DCA. So, ~70% of the time, the lump sum / frontload will work out in your favor. If markets are down this year, DCA would be better than frontloading. Even better would be to make the lump sum at the end of the down year.

Being an optimist and not a market timer, I play the odds and do a lump sum early. Although, since deciding to make a push for an early retirement, I've decided to be more aggressive in funding the 529s. I'll get a bonus of sorts in an August paycheck and will invest more in the 529s then.

I also frontload my 457(b). Should have $18,000 in there after three pay periods.

Best,

-PoF

Leave a comment:

• artemis
    replied

@artemis I would recommend you check your credit reports now too.  Make sure they didn’t steal your identity and open fraudulent accounts.  It happened to me in the past.  Consider monitoring your credit with credit karma or a similar service.

I'll be doing that, but fortunately I already have credit freezes in place, so I suspect this is nothing more than a compromised card.  Still annoying, though!

Leave a comment:

• Hatton
    replied
    I rebalanced my portfolio at Vanguard.  Updated my expense spreadsheet.  Read a bunch of blogs.  Nothing special.  Off to work.

Leave a comment:

• hightower
    replied
    @artemis I would recommend you check your credit reports now too.  Make sure they didn't steal your identity and open fraudulent accounts.  It happened to me in the past.  Consider monitoring your credit with credit karma or a similar service.

Leave a comment:

• VagabondMD
    replied

Looks like there’s a common theme to fund the 529s early. Any more planned contributions or is that it for the year? If so, wouldn’t you be better off dollar cost averaging throughout the year?

I DCA the 529s throughout, but we had an end of the year (2016) excess salary distribution that I wanted to seed the accounts early.

I also anticipate two significant events that may impact this down the line:

1. Going part time later in the year (expect to have less cash flow)

2. My son starting college in the fall

Leave a comment:

• hightower
    replied
    I worked 2 16 hour shifts.  But, I'm going to Hawaii in a few weeks, so I shouldn't complain!

Leave a comment:

• DoubleMDs
    replied
    I dollar cost average a set amount each month to the 529 that ends up being half the max yearly contribution, then add the other half either at the beginning or end of the year depending on the current state of our financials. I considerate it the best of both worlds (at least in my mind)

Leave a comment:

• DoubleMDs
    replied
    1. Got accounts in order to payoff the the last remaining portion of school loans at the end of this month, which will be right on the goal target of having every loan paid off 18 months into practice.

2. Started making plans for that extra money every month going forward that will no longer be going to loan payoff while we still live like residents for as long as possible.

3. Watched a lot of movies and football with family.

Leave a comment:

• Renaldoc
    replied
    Looks like there's a common theme to fund the 529s early. Any more planned contributions or is that it for the year? If so, wouldn't you be better off dollar cost averaging throughout the year?

Leave a comment:

• Aj
    replied
    Initiated IRA contribution for wife and myself for ROTH conversion.

Initiated 529 contribution for kids.

Initiated ROTH contribution for kids.

Watched movies with family and football.

Restarted Triathlon training.

Leave a comment:

• artemis
    replied
    Unfortunately I spent a big chunk of New Year's Day talking on the phone to the fraud department of one of my banks, after discovering that someone has been funding their Netflix subscription at my expense for the past four months.  How they managed it I have no idea, as the debit card to that account has literally never been used by me anywhere.

Still, the sums taken were trivial in the larger scope of things, and I'll probably get all the money back in time.  I was lucky.  You better believe I'll be checking all my account statements much more carefully in the future!

Leave a comment:

• SValleyMD
    replied
    1: slept in, then had to go to church, then watched some NFL
    2: slept in, watched college football all day

Leave a comment:

• Antares
    replied
    Deposited all checks received since ~Thanksgiving, so will be taxed as 2017 not 2016 income.

Leave a comment:

• PhysicianOnFIRE
    replied
    I sent my wife out to "shovel the driveway."

-PoF

Leave a comment:

• conniebird
    replied
    -Funded TIRA today for Roth IRA conversion.

-Rounded on 6 patients today in the hospital, someone has to be on-call

Leave a comment:

Working...
X