No announcement yet.

What have you done so far in 2017?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like there’s a common theme to fund the 529s early. Any more planned contributions or is that it for the year? If so, wouldn’t you be better off dollar cost averaging throughout the year?

I DCA the 529s throughout, but we had an end of the year (2016) excess salary distribution that I wanted to seed the accounts early.

I also anticipate two significant events that may impact this down the line:

1. Going part time later in the year (expect to have less cash flow)

2. My son starting college in the fall

Comment

@artemis I would recommend you check your credit reports now too.  Make sure they didn't steal your identity and open fraudulent accounts.  It happened to me in the past.  Consider monitoring your credit with credit karma or a similar service.

Comment

I rebalanced my portfolio at Vanguard.  Updated my expense spreadsheet.  Read a bunch of blogs.  Nothing special.  Off to work.

Comment

@artemis I would recommend you check your credit reports now too.  Make sure they didn’t steal your identity and open fraudulent accounts.  It happened to me in the past.  Consider monitoring your credit with credit karma or a similar service.

I'll be doing that, but fortunately I already have credit freezes in place, so I suspect this is nothing more than a compromised card.  Still annoying, though!

Comment

Looks like there’s a common theme to fund the 529s early. Any more planned contributions or is that it for the year? If so, wouldn’t you be better off dollar cost averaging throughout the year?

Lump sum beats dollar cost averaging as long as the markets are trending upward over the timeframe you were planning on DCA. So, ~70% of the time, the lump sum / frontload will work out in your favor. If markets are down this year, DCA would be better than frontloading. Even better would be to make the lump sum at the end of the down year.

Being an optimist and not a market timer, I play the odds and do a lump sum early. Although, since deciding to make a push for an early retirement, I've decided to be more aggressive in funding the 529s. I'll get a bonus of sorts in an August paycheck and will invest more in the 529s then.

I also frontload my 457(b). Should have $18,000 in there after three pay periods.

Best,

-PoF

Comment

Opened up a Traditional IRA at Scottrade and working on getting the Roth IRA over from Merrill Edge.  I'll get an extra $300 in tax-free contributions out of it.

Started tracking returns in XIRR fashion about ten days ago.  Finding it pretty exhausting and difficult to sustain already (see screenshot):

Comment

- Fed the cat.  

- Signed off and mailed paperwork for a Disability policy I had been meaning to get

- Did 10 hours Teleradiology

- Talked with my wife about financial plans/goals for 2017, wrote down a list of goals and tacked it on my computer

- Made TIRA contributions for his/her Backdoor Roths

- Read the WCI Newsletter

- Read this article in detail--I recommend it: http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-champions-of-the-401-k-lament-the-revolution-they-started-1483382348

Comment

No.

No.

DCAing is usually (about 2/3 of the time) the losing strategy compared to lump sum investing.
                  Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

Click to expand…

Lump sum beats dollar cost averaging as long as the markets are trending upward over the timeframe you were planning on DCA. So, ~70% of the time, the lump sum / frontload will work out in your favor. If markets are down this year, DCA would be better than frontloading. Even better would be to make the lump sum at the end of the down year.

Being an optimist and not a market timer, I play the odds and do a lump sum early. Although, since deciding to make a push for an early retirement, I’ve decided to be more aggressive in funding the 529s. I’ll get a bonus of sorts in an August paycheck and will invest more in the 529s then.

I also frontload my 457(b). Should have $18,000 in there after three pay periods.

Best,

-PoF

DCA is a behavioral thing to help one with the risks of worrying about buying high, etc...Also, its just plain reality almost all the time, few investors have a giant lump sum to invest at the start of their careers. There has only been one time where DCA would have been better off than lump sum investing over a longer term period, and oddly enough was recently in 2000 IIRC. You're just trading one risk (timing) for another (sequencing, opportunity cost, time value of money).

Comment

I used to DCA (~$1000/month) into the 529 but liked WCI's idea to simplify, simplify, simplify: https://www.whitecoatinvestor.com/six-ways-to-spend-less-time-on-finances/

Comment

I just scanned and organized all my HSA receipts, which I'd been saving for the past two years, into Google Drive.  Mercifully, it wasn't as cumbersome a process as I thought - took about 20 minutes (I only had about 12 of them).

Comment

Paid the last of my $270,000 of student debt.

3.5 years after training = student loans gone!!!

Congrats everyone. It's been a very productive year so far.

Comment

Impressive to knock out $270k of debt within the first 5 years! Now you just have to buy a house if you haven't already and start paying that off!

I try to lump sum as much as possible into the taxable accounts manually, although it may be more time efficient to automate it directly from my checking to correspond to paychecks.

One goal I have for 2017 is to combine my HSA accounts into one, as my employer had switched account processors three times in the last three years. Pain to find and fill out the transfer forms. But it's also the only way I will get enough to start investing within the HSA.

Comment

Paid the last of my $270,000 of student debt.

3.5 years after training = student loans gone!!!

Congrats everyone. It’s been a very productive year so far.

That's impressive!  Share some details on how you did it?

Comment

Had Vanguard reject my online application due to an inability to verify my identity.  C'mon, snail mail...

Comment

Working...
                                X